Author Topic: Saul Williams  (Read 1669 times)

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
Saul Williams
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:33:23 pm »
Now, at the risk of looking close-minded, I don't listen to a whole lot of Hip Hop. The one-track, misogynist noise that clogs the airwaves is a bit more than a turn off.

Then I found Saul Williams. He isn't so much a hip-hop artist as he is a slam poet.  A damn good one, too. This caliber of these lyrics is stunning. Good, and almost-SFW examples are his popular pieces  Coded Language and Black Stacey. Also notable are his 'lesser' pieces such as List of Demands or the (youtubeless) Act III Scene II. 

On top of all this, he is author of an excellent little book called The Dead Emcee scrolls.

Thoughts?

The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Re: Saul Williams
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:53:08 pm »
I find it ironic that the audience of "Coded Language" is segregated. (3:19) :D

In any case, it's about time hip-hop and the like started to return to meaning. I'm getting tired of singles drowning the speakers with "ho" and other similiar abberations. No longer is it about what life is like, its just about performing obscure sex acts with some promiscuous prostitute.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Saul Williams
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:41:44 pm »
The only contact with Saul Williams I've had has been the stuff he's done that was produced by Trent Reznor. It took me a while to figure out that it wasn't some new NIN stuff I'd somehow missed, actually.