0 (0%)
currently
0 (0%)
being
0 (0%)
held
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Neoskel's Critters (and associated items)  (Read 19741 times)

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
Neoskel's Critters (and associated items)
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:32:30 am »
I'm part of the team working on Sagan 4 (http://sagan4.com/) and i've been lurking here for a bit too, so i figured it was about time i joined in and worked on some original creatures. I'm no biologist, so some of my critters may be 'impossible' and i'll probably use the wrong words to describe body stuff.

Heres what i'v got so far:

Kuorym

Physiology
The Kuorym are an omnivorous sapient species that recently advanced from the tribal stage on a planet they call Ki'yee'iyl'jwiilei. They have a rather unique build consisting of a large 'foot', a serpentine midsection, two arms and a long head. They have two brains to control different functions of their body. The brains are connected by a network of nerves which run down the length of their body.

The head carries most of the Kuorym's sensory organs along with their larger main brain.

The Kuorym have two large eyes on either side of their head which each have three pupils which float independently across the surface of the eye. This allows them to have a wide angle of vision, and also allows them to focus on up to three separate objects in three different directions at one time. Using their excellent vision along with their tall stature, Kuorym have a commanding view of their surroundings.

In the front of the Kuorym's head, between the eyes, is an indentation which holds six large infra-red sensing pits. This allows them to complement their eyesight in darkness and other situations where their vision would be less useful.

On the top of their head plate the Kuorym have a groove which runs the length of the head. This is actually the Kuorym's ear. They use the plate on the top of their head and the four antennae at the back of the plate to pick up vibrations which are directed to the groove. An organ just underneath the groove processes the vibrations and relays the information to the brain, which is just below the ear organ. This allows the Kuorym to pick up a very wide range of sounds and to respond very quickly to those sounds.

Basically it's really really hard to sneak up on a Kuorym.

The Kuoym also have a construction of bone attached just below their heat sensing pits which looks like two long prongs. This is actually a solid piece which is not directly connected to the rest of the head, but is instead attached by a dense forest of fibers. The fibers contain muscles and nerves which the Kuorym can use to vibrate the prongs. The prongs act like a tuning fork and the Kuorym can control their vibration to produce sounds across the scale. This is their chief form of communication and it allows them to communicate of long distances. They can also use this ability of theirs to shatter glass or crystal, or to produce a sonic 'punch' which they can concentrate at a threat or make other creatures nauseous.

The head plate and prongs actually sit on a layer of flesh over their skull, which contains their first and larger brain. This brain controls everything from their arms up, and also handles higher thought.

Their serpentine body is smooth and sinewy except where the arms attach. A cartilaginous chord runs down the length of the body. This protects the rope of nerves which connect the two brains. They have chitinous plates around their shoulders and the area between their shoulders, their arms are also covered with stiff chitin, as are their 'hands'. There are four breathing holes on the Kuorym's back which connect to two small lungs in the 'chest'. This supplies some air to most of the upper body.

The Kuorym's 'hands' are actually rather like a snail in its shell. They each consist of a chamber made out of chitin, and three appendages rather like long tongues. The Kuorym can actually retract these 'fingers' into these chambers when they are not in use. The chambers seal themselves which small plates of chitin when the 'fingers' are retracted in this way. These chambers also contain the Kuorym's sexual organs.

The bottom section of the Kuorym contains all of their other vital organs, including their mouth and is covered with more hard plates of chitin. The mouth sits between the two projections of the Kuorym's 'foot' and is a simple hinged jaw with crushing and cutting teeth. The mouth also contains a long prehensile tongue which they use to pull food into the mouth. The placement of the mouth allows the Kuorym to easily graze on plants and other organic material close to the ground. The Kuorym emit waste products through an orifice at the back of their 'foot' hidden by a flap of chitin.

The mouth is surrounded by six patches of scent sensitive skin. These act as a primitive olfactory sense, and allows the Kuorym to identify food or other substances directly in front of their mouth but no further.

There are four large lungs in the Kuorym's 'foot' which breath out of eight breathing holes between the plates of their natural armor. These provide air for the whole body, as their upper set of lungs is not adequate to completely provide air for their upper body.

The base of the Kuorym's 'foot' works the same way the base of a starfish does, with millions of tiny feet which pull the Kuorym across the ground.

A Kuorym's 'foot' is capable of living independently. If a Kuorym is chopped off at the base of the foot, the upper part of the body will die, but the 'foot' will live on as a blind, deaf, mute non-sapient grazing animal as it has all the necessary organs to survive.

Sexual and Social Behaviour
The Kuorym have two genders, male and female. When mating, the two sexes 'hold hands' and the male uses his 'fingers' to push packets of genetic material into the females hand chambers. This fertilizes the eggs contained in the females hands and the female will later stick the tiny eggs to the chitin plates on her 'foot'. The chambers in the female's hands each only contain up to one egg. These eggs are similar to frog spawn and the female will take care of the eggs until they hatch into small Kuorym.

Hatched baby Kourym are raised by the mother and any of her unburdened female relatives. Since the Kourym can communicate over vast distances, the mother can call these relatives from very far away.

Kourym are actually quite solitary and will usually roam alone or in pairs across the huge plains of their homeworld, except for the groups of related females raising young Kuorym. All Kuorym across the face of the planet all actually belong to the same 'nation' and there are no wars of any kind. Being chiefly grazers, the Kuorym are quite peaceful. They are actually organized and they follow their natural leaders. Kuorym from across the planet will gather together to tackle problems which they cannot handle as individuals, such as protecting a group of females and young from a particularly bold pack of predators or to build bridges over a river.

Kuorym do not actually build dwellings or other structures besides bridges and some monuments which they write on. Sadly, this means that the Kuorym will never actually build a space program. This is particularly ironic as Ki'yee'iyl'jwiilei's moon (the Kourym call it Ywe'ieyeeyi) actually has life of it's own, including another sapient race.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:12:39 am by Neoskel »

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Neoskel's Critters (and associated items)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:56:17 am »
I didn't realize i would write that much... :P

Heres the other one i have right now:

Skiggits

Skiggits are non-sapient herbivores found on the same planet as the Kuorym. They are basically a large eyeball with legs.

A Skiggit's body consists of a single large eyeball (which has multiple floating pupils like the Kuorym) held in a cubic frame of chitin in such a way that the eyeball has six 'faces', with eight legs attached to the corners. The Skiggit's brain is actually in the center of the large eyeball. The pupils of the eye can not only move around on a single face of the eye, but can move all across the surface of the eye even between sections. A Skiggit can have between six to twenty one pupils in its eye. It is very hard to sneak up on a Skiggit as it will usually have at least one pupil looking out of each side of the eye at any one time.

Skiggits have twelve stomachs, one in each bar of the 'frame' and twenty four tongues which are curled up inside these stomachs, two in each bar of the 'frame'. The tongues are triangular in shape and can be unfurled across the surface of the eye to clean it or cover it. The other side of the tongue is a tough skin, while the inner side is just like a regular tongue. Skiggits eat a kind of gooey algae-like organism called Creeping Gunga which they lap up with the tongues on the bottom of the Skiggit, or the side if the Gunga is creeping up the side of something. In addition to these uses, the tongue is also used in Skiggit reproducion. Skiggits are hermaphroditic, with the sexual organs located in the corners at the base of each leg, but they use the tongue for the actual passing on of genetic material. Each Skiggit has four male organs and four female organs. During breeding season groups of Skiggits will stack up on top and next to each other (being cubic in shape) and lick each other's tongues. The tongues swap genetic material and after mating each Skiggit will 'paint' eggs (similar to snail eggs) onto rocks and other smooth surfaces using the tongues as 'brushes'. Skiggits do not take care of their young and some of the larger species of Skiggit will eat the eggs of other species. Skiggit young are merely smaller versions of adults and are already capable of mating, but will not do so unless there is plenty of food.

The eight legs of the Skiggit each have two points of articulation, at the base of the leg where it attaches to the body and at the knee. Skiggits can actually stand on any side as their legs can bend in multiple directions. Their legs work similarly to a spider's legs, by pumping fluid to extend the leg and draining it to retract the leg, but it also has tendons which control which way the leg will bend. Skiggits can skitter around very quickly and will often tumble around with no loss of direction on rough terrain.

There are many different breeds of Skiggit, some are small as a human thumbnail while some are as large as a Kurym's head. Kuorym will sometimes hunt some of the larger Skiggits when they want to supplement their diet and do so by knocking the Skiggit out with a sonic pulse and then they eat the creamy contents of the Skiggit's eyeball, leaving the rest for scavengers. The Kuorym have also domesticated a smaller type of Skiggit which they breed to have a particular number of pupils. They use these Skiggits in games which they play with their young, which consist of taking one of these Skiggits in their hands, shaking it around and tossing it to the ground to see how many pupils will be on the top side of the Skiggit. In most games the more pupils on the top the better.

(The dice tend to run away afterwards though.  :P)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 06:41:57 pm by Neoskel »

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:20:20 am »
Cool, welcome Neoskel  :D

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:55:46 am »
Yeah, i've been lurkin' for a long time but i felt that i needed something to show before actually joining.

These two guys have been bouncing around in my head for awhile so they were shoe-ins.

This of course doesn't mean i'm gonna work less on Sagan 4.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:29:22 am »
Sweet, somebody else I know! :)

Welcome to GS!

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:10:51 am »
Wow, pretty wicked stuff there but I'll be honest those crotch mouth things scare the **** out of me. :P

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:28:10 am »
Oh, i forgot to add that if a Kuorym has its body chopped off at the waist it's 'foot' will continue to live as a blind-deaf-mute non-sapient grazer.

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 12:08:10 pm »
Lol, that's great  ;D

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:08 pm »
So are you also going to work on the other sapient creatures on the moon? and if so will they be space-traveling?

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:22:50 pm »
So are you also going to work on the other sapient creatures on the moon? and if so will they be space-traveling?

All in good time.  ;)

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:05 am »
your work is really impressive. great job!
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 11:58:43 pm »
Awesome DICE Creature! 8

All in good time.  ;)
Nice! :)

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 01:27:12 am »
I just realised that i hadn't put in anything about how Skiggits reproduce. So i updated the post a little.

I've also drawn up a couple more things (not scanned yet, i'll do it in the morning) and decided some stuff about the Kuorym's homeworld ++. Their name for their planet is Ki'yee'iyl'jwiilei (a rather crude representation of the way they say it of course what with their resonating prongs and all) and their name for the moon of the planet is Ywe'ieyeeyi. More details tomorrow. Sleepytime now.  :P

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:13:24 pm »
Kuorym do not actually build dwellings or other structures besides bridges and some monuments which they write on.

This is one of the monuments that the Kuorym build to record their knowledge. This particular monument is one of the first built and holds information regarding the Kuorym themselves, their physiology and sociology. These monuments can be huge in scale, with this particular monument being fifty times the height of a full grown Kuorym. It was built near the foothills of one of the few mountain ranges on the planet. Knowledge monuments are built by the learned Kuorym after world-spanning conversations regarding said subject, during which these learned cement the details of the subject. Then they will converge on an agreed upon spot and raise a construction of stone. Then the information is carved upon the stone and inlaid with a kind of colored cement to keep the carvings from fading over time. The Kuorym need no scaffolding to carve on the vertical faces of their monuments, their starfish 'foot' allows them to stick to the monument and walk up and down its surface.

Heres a concept for the Kuorym's planet and it's moon, both BI and AI (i'll tell you what that means at a later date, all you need to know right now is that the BI world is the one the Kuorym currently live in.)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:06:57 am by Neoskel »

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 03:42:25 pm »
(These guys are separate from the Kuorym and their solar system)

Gulma and Gekkilo

The Gulma (the one on the left) is a creature that almost, but never quite made it to sapience. They evolved over time to have everything they needed to finally step into sapience: manipulatory limbs (six hands and a prehensile tail), a developed brain, social groups and communication. But they never made the final step into sapience. Once they reached the state they are at now, there were no more pressures to further evolve. So now they live in the jungles of their planet (theres a variety of biomes on the planet including plains and oceans) in a matter not unlike gorillas. They are reptillian, with leathery skin, a gentle disposition and warm blood. They are herbivores The two 'wings' on the Gulmas' backs are not actually wings but are more like crests, they are used for diplay. The size of a Gulma's back crests affects the individual's rank in it's group, with the Gulma having the largest crests the leader by general consensus. They do not fight each other for rank. Gulma have the two traditional sexes and pair up with a mate for life. Gulma lay a single egg after mating, which is taken care of by the entire group along with the other eggs in a communal brood. Gulma groups roam around the jungle floor grazing on leaves and eating fruit during the day and stop to build nests out of leaves to sleep in at night. They bring their eggs with them. Gulma groups vary in size from around ten to thirty individuals. Because of their slow reproduction rate and long lifespan, they never overpopulate. They also have no real predators and experience very little disease.

The Gekkilo is an offshoot of the line that the Gulma evolved from. It has developed an arboreal lifestyle and is pretty much just a reptillian six-armed monkey with a prehensile tail. Their back crests are used in mating displays. Gekkilos are more solitary than their cousins the Gulmas, but they do not have territories. They wander around in the jungle canopy and feed on fruits and nuts. Mating produces between one to two eggs, which the mother will carry with her (there are certain advantages to having so many arms). Unlike the Gulmas, Gekkilo are predated upon by a species of flying creature.