Author Topic: The Verfol's  (Read 23092 times)

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
The Verfol's
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:27:10 pm »
Name: Verfol
Home Planet: Jagd
Diet: Carnivore
Locomotion: Hexapedal
Size: average 8.5 feet tall 350 pounds

This is an awesome fanart picture of a Verfol done by Great Distance

Verfol Physiology:
The Verfol's are large intelligent predators from the planet Jagd. Their bodies are in a large 'S' shape with small smooth scales covering the body, also with dermal denticles on the arms. The dermal denticles are large bumps on the skin that are used for defence, when rubbed one way feel smooth but when rubbed the other are very rough and can cause serious injury (much like a sharks skin.) The Verfol's have six legs, the front two employing large raptor like claws and the back four have large webbed claws used for swimming. The verfols have four arms, two large ones on each side of the body with a pair of circular hands. One peculiarity about the Verfol's arms is the large antennae coming out of each elbow. These antennae are used for scent and social association with one another. The other two arms are very small and on the front of the body. These two arms have large pinchers which are used to grasp what the side hands cannot and also for battle. The Verfol's have four reptile like eyes and a large reptile esque shark mouth. The ears are large, colourful and frill like and are also used for heat displacement and attracting a mate. The final easily noticeable feature on the Verfol's are their large back spines which are used against any unwary foes thinking of sneaking up from behind.

The Unique Social Habits:
The Verfol's have very different social systems because their brains work in an odd phenomenon that closely resembles a hive mind, where when presented with the same information they all come to the same conclusions and ideas about issues. Due to this the Verfols have almost no government and have never conceived of religion(although after meeting newer interstellar races they have come to the conclusion that religion is quite foolish.) The Verfols are extremely industrious(much like ants) and every single one works hard for what is best for the race. Verfol's all follow unspeaken laws and rules. Verfol's all respect each other and treat each other as equals. Due to the fact that they think the same when presented with the same information communication is very important within society. Conversations can last for hours and other species can find the information to be pointless but that is never so for a Verfol. Verfol's also have a very hard time relating or sometimes understanding other creatures because they are so used to the complete understanding of one another. Another thing is that Verfol's do not lie, lieing is seen as a form of fear and Verfols live to master their fear. With the lack of government the Verfol's have formed a group of elders and some war leaders to make The Sages Link. The Sages Link deals with interstellar affairs and represent every individual Verfol.

Verfol Lifestyles:
Verfols on the home planet Jagd either belong to one of the main cities or are part of one of the many nomadic clans. The nomadic clans typically consist of young Verfol's who roam the planet to learn the different ways of life. The young Verfol clans hunt for their own food and stop in cities to work and begin to choose their occupation. Common Verfol occupations are soldiers, factory workers, miners, geneticists, weapon designers, ranchers and breeders. Many nomadic clans also band together to build a hunting ship and explore space. Almost all Verfol's keep a journal to help with the communication process. Verfol libraries are very large and are usually full with journals and non-fiction literature. Verfol space hunting clans also forward journals to The Sages Link to make sure interstellar knowledge is well kept and applied. Verfol's are very serious and strict about preserving their planet and have been able to maintain the large jungle forests and beautiful open plains well. Most factory and manufacturing work is actually done on the two moons circling Jagd.(we'll get to those later) Verfols are always serious about whatever job they perform and they do it to the best of their ability. Verfol's also have a large opinion of perfection within themselves and may be seen as egotistical by some. The death rate of children is high as parents will kill the young that have imperfections and young are also sent out on their own at a young age to find their place in the world. This sense of perfection also causes the Verfol's to have a large disliking for other species and will go to the lengths of exterminating a species of a planet to allow evolution to "try again."

The Hunt:
One major aspect of the Verfol lives is the love of hunting. This is loved by all Verfol's and hunting ranges are common forms of recreation on Jagd. They also have a love for finding new and difficult prey in space. The Verfol's are also very adept at manipulating genetics to make harder catches, although changing the genetic structure of a Verfol is seen as a disgrace and forbidden by all. With the discovery of other sentient life forms in space their hunting is now limited but the search for ultimate prey is ongoing.

War and Friends:
Verfols will become friends with almost any other brave creatures that they find respectable. Friends of Verfol's are defended viciously and without fear but they have little patience for things such as negotiations and they are trying to learn to tolerate other beings having seperate ideas from themselves. War is also a large thing in the Verfol lifestyle and is also seen as the ultimate hunt.

Verfol's In Battle:
In battle Verfol's are vicious, fearless and relentless warriors. They will not stop fighting unless the enemy or themselves is dead. No matter the odds a Verfol will continue to fight and it is almost impossible to take a Verfol prisoner unless it is completely immobilized. Verfol prisoners are just plain dangerous and it is smarter and safer to kill the Verfol rather than take it prisoner as it will wait and calculate when it can strike and kill as many of its captors as possible. Furthermore Verfol's do not take prisoners themselves and they simply see losing as dieing(on a side note and slightly related Verfol's do not believe in slavery.) Verfols are naturally built for battle with their dangerous teeth, claws(on hands and feet) and pinchers. However Verfol's have many built in defenses as well. They have scale armor and dermal denticles that provide protection. Their inner structure is a large mixture of bone and cartilage which allows their neck to make lunging biting attacks possible. Furthermore they have thick ribs which makes shots to the heart dicey and also have a distributed nervous system which makes them harder to kill. Slower to bleed, slower to die.

Verfol Citizens, Hunters and Soldiers:
Every Verfol citizen is an able hunter and fighter due to their way of life and how they are to live on their own (or in clans of young) at a young age before they find their place in life. Verfols are always incredibly busy and industrious and are always found working, researching or hunting. Hunters are those who have chosen to band together and explore space for research and to find the hardest catch. Verfol hunters typically build their own weapons so designs among them may vary but they are all very skilled and dangerous. Verfol soldiers have manufactured weapons of the highest quality and use battle suits. Soldiers live their lives training for war.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 06:16:22 pm by Jurassicskin »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: The Verfol's
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:15:12 pm »
I like the society.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:58:00 am »
I hope they don't think that Yuuism is foolish. It's more like a philosophy. :)

Nice society all in all. Will they be RPing? :)

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 04:41:57 am »
Wow, great work! Everything is very unique, and very interesting. Especially the social behavior, which is the first "logical" way to show a "hive mind" type persona I've seen so far! (except the normal way that ants, termites, and bees use, but you know what I mean.)  ;D

The only thing that could possibly be a problem is that their physiology is cool and all, but it sounds a bit difficult to draw continually. Unless I'm just crazy, and am not understanding what they look like.  :-X

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 04:49:03 am »
Yeah, I've drawn some pictures already and I thought I had posted one but I guess that didn't work...and yeah, I'm trying to make a hive mind society work without any real leader or queen.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:54:40 am »
Have You tried imgPlace for your picture? It's only messed up on me once.  :)

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 05:20:08 am »
imgPlace is a good place, as Blarg said. You could also make an account on Photobucket, it's been good to me so far. :)

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:20:31 am »
Photobucket is what I tried using and I've finished drawing some other pictures which I'm just going to photoshop right now. That guide on here about using photoshop was really useful it was a bit complicated at parts but I was able to improvise my way through it. I've also been writing out more stuff on the Verfol's so I'll have more info and pictures soon. :)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:55:24 am »
Very cool race. I like the unique form of unification they have.

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 12:42:28 pm »
Verfol Weaponry:
Aside from the many natural weapons a Verfol has, almost all Verfol weaponry use the energy crystals that are found in abundance on Jagd or are manufactured on one of the moons. The crystals are used to power the close range energy weapons or are manufactured into grenades or ammunition like arrows and bullets. The crossbow also uses crystal bolt shards as ammunition from a large crystal. The Verfols are resistant to the effects of the crystals but they can cause infections and harmful radiation side effects to most creatures who survive attacks. Verfols all typically prefer the use of close range weapons and try to change battles to allow that style of fighting to be used. Verfol's use many anti-electronic and anti-technology tools such as magnetic and electric charge bombs to turn the tide of battle in such a way. The Verfol's also use a special creature called the Essermet(I'll get to these guys later) to infest, eat and destroy machinery. The other creature used in battle is the dangerous Rhygnok,(I'll also be getting to these guys later) a large dangerous scorpion like creature that the Verfol's use as steeds.

-The Verfol Spear
The energy spear is one of the most popular and widely used Verfol weaponry, which utilizes a crystal shard in the staff for two different types of attack. The first being the common inflicting wounds with the energy charged spearhead. The second is a very dangerous but effective attack. The attack utilizes the full charge of the crystal and causes a very large explosion. This attack can only be used once as it typically destroys the spear itself. This type of attack is commonly used against larger targets and enemy vehicles. A larger version of the spear is commonly used by Rhygnok riders.

- The Verfol Energy Katana and Sword
The energy katana and energy sword used by Verfols are of common design. They use energy from a crystal stored in the handle to make an energy blade. These weapons are a close range favourite but not as commonly used as the spear.

-The Verfol Bow
The bow itself is a common high-tech bow usually with a high powered shot and laser sights. The arrow in use are actually long crystal slivers which are easily reusable from the corpses of enemies. One strange tactic used with the bow is to attach a grenade to the end of the crystal sliver before it is fired which is also quite effective against vehicles.

-The Verfol Crossbow
The Verfol crossbow is loaded with a large crystal which is shaved into smaller bolt shards and fired by a laser in the weapon. The effects of the freshly shaven crystals are immense and typically render the victim incapable of fighting due to the excrutiating pain they cause.

-Verfol Guns
Verfol guns are typically only used by Verfol army soldiers and shock troops rather than the common Verfol hunter. The guns most commonly used are snipers and other rifles as well as sub-machine guns and shotguns. The bullets used are also small manufactured crystal shards. Since close range weapons are much more preferred guns are uncommon but a Verfol sniper is something everyone should fear.

-Rocket Launchers and The Extermination Ray
Rocket Launchers are the only Verfol weapon that utilizes chemical reactions for force. The launchers are only found with soldiers and are extremelly uncommon even during times of war. The extermination ray is a very effective and powerful weapon used only by specific troops with the sole purpose of exterminating all life in an area. The extermination ray was created to handle the newly discovered Essermet infestation when the Verfol's began to colonize Jegrin. The extermination ray looks slightly like a human flamethrower but uses a large crystal charge to fire chain lightning like blasts that attract themselves to life forms and electrocute them to death. This weapon is only used during the last stages of a planet or species extermination as it is very dangerous to friend and foe alike. Troops in a battalion where this weapon is used must wear special armor to deter the weapons blast away from themselves.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:38:25 am by Jurassicskin »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 05:05:36 pm »
A bit StarWars inspired don't you think? Still cool.

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 05:32:36 pm »
oh, I didn't know really, from what in star wars exactly?

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 05:34:15 pm »
Um, all that crystals and lightsabers mambo jumbo? Really? Well if you didn't know I guess that means you're not influenced so its cool :).

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 06:12:34 pm »
Creatures Used By The Verfol
-The Essermet
The Essermet is a creature that originated from the moon Jagrin that orbits the planet Jagd. The Essermet are a vermin like creature that are quite adaptable and resilient and multiply very quickly. The Essermet are a large nuisance to other creatures because they feed on many kinds of metals. The Essermets are about one foot tall with large mouths with many serrated teeth and also have teeth on the cheeks on the side of their mouths. They secrete a strong acidic saliva that helps break down the metals to be chewed and digested. The Essermet have three small legs with three toed feet with sticky pads that allow them to crawl all over. They also have one arm with a three fingered hand these fingers are very large and used for climbing and manipulation. The metal eating and rodent like characteristics of this creature have been well used by the Verfol. Before the Verfol begin an attack or raid on an enemy planet they rain Essermet egg pods down to disrupt enemy machinery and cause chaos within the enemy society.

-The Rhygnok and Rhygnok Riders
The Rhygnok is a large (about 17 feet long, not counting the tail) scorpion like omnivore found on the large open plains and one desert of Jagd. The Rhygnoks have a scorpion like structure with a large tail, although the Rhygnoks tail ends with a large blade instead of the scorpions stinger. The Rhygnoks have beak like mouths and large armored shells. They have hoof like feet that help them run at high speeds over the large plains. The mouths have very large tusks on the sides which are used for battle and attracting a mate. The Rhygnoks themselves are mild mannered and only dangerous if hungry or if young are nearby.
 These Rhygnoks are specially trained and ridden by Verfols in battle and hunts. The Verfols attach reins to the tusks and hold and control these reins with their claw pinchers. Rhygnoks have proven to be very effective with hunters and soldiers as long as they are in open areas. The Rhygnoks use their tusks, slashing tail and sheer size to overpower many enemies. Their effectiveness has been proven again and again and further promote the use of anti-tech devices used among Verfol soldiers. Rhygnoks are used in hunting clans because of their tracking skills and capabilities of bringing down large targets. Rhygnoks are commonly used within the army due to their power and adeptness with anti-tech tactics. Rhygnoks used by soldiers have a tough crystal and metal mixed alloy fused to their already tough shells to make them near impregnable in combat.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:52:20 pm by Jurassicskin »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 06:21:27 pm »
This is one of my favourites amongst the latest set of creatures.

I really need to prod Mason and get him to restart the Sporewiki awards, because this would qualify.