Author Topic: NOTICE - Unnoticible things in the spore video that you noticed.  (Read 17499 times)

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: NOTICE - Unnoticible things in the spore video that you noticed.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 08:00:45 am »
Yes, quite true.

I would like to see how energy beings/creatures could be handled.

Some of the later creatures Will was showing in the editor, like the 'Tweety bird' that handles like a Ford Explorer :D, seem to have little limit on their physical features such as mouths, eyes and limbs, not to mention body shape.

Anyway, nothing conclusive, but your creature's physiology may be less limited by 'costs' and things than has been hinted at.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 08:35:58 am »
It would be cool to see a creature made of pure electricity, but as far as I know that's impossible in real life. So it's very unlikely.

As for seeing bioluminescence (sp?) and creatures that employ electricity as weapons, that's something cool that we could all stand to see. Seems like it would be easy enough to add to the game, just make a little prod thing that shoots electricity a little ways, stunning the other creature while you kill it. That'd be awesome

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 01:32:58 pm »
It would be cool to see a creature made of pure electricity, but as far as I know that's impossible in real life. So it's very unlikely.

As for seeing bioluminescence (sp?) and creatures that employ electricity as weapons, that's something cool that we could all stand to see. Seems like it would be easy enough to add to the game, just make a little prod thing that shoots electricity a little ways, stunning the other creature while you kill it. That'd be awesome

You probably wouldn't even need to do that. There's at least a few creatures in existence that can generate electric discharges to stun prey, though the only one that comes to mind at the moment are electric eels. And it's an organ that gives them this ability.

Don't know about creatures of pure electricity, not like that one dude in Gremlins 2 anyway. But beings of pure energy might be a plausibility, and it's all basically the same stuff on an atomic level anyway, so who knows.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 03:45:43 pm »
Its not an organ, the electricall cells are interspersed with the tissue of its back. All creatures with a nervous system produce bioelectricity (see 'the Matrix') the eel and some sharks just take it to extremes.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 04:03:48 pm »
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/BarryLajnwand.shtml

If it's not an organ then they shouldn't call it one.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 04:10:57 pm »
Its highly likely I'm wrong. Wow, I seem like I know what I'm talking about even over the internet, this could be the start of a lucrative career in grifting.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 04:58:59 pm »
Yeah, sure. With a video game, they're most likely just going to have a part that you stick on and it generates electricity. I just developed a new pet peeve, and that is when people say that I'm wrong about Spore because my idea's not the exact way it happens in real life.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 06:13:07 pm »
Its highly likely I'm wrong. Wow, I seem like I know what I'm talking about even over the internet, this could be the start of a lucrative career in grifting.

Well, you were partly right. There is a collection of cells involved. Anyway, I only emphasized the organ bit because of Leng.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 01:59:09 am »
Yeah, sure. With a video game, they're most likely just going to have a part that you stick on and it generates electricity. I just developed a new pet peeve, and that is when people say that I'm wrong about Spore because my idea's not the exact way it happens in real life.

I agree. This doesnt apply as much to the stellar phase as Wright really seems to be trying to recreate a realistic galaxy. It still doesnt mean that gravity will be the same as in real life, or that your planet will be bombarded by meteors just because their heading toward your system.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 06:26:07 am »
MY pet peeve is when people assume it's not in real life because it's not in their puny simian brains yet.

Assume makes an ass out of u and me, people.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005, 08:43:44 pm »
My pet peeve is people with pet peeves.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 12:50:33 am »
My pet is called tim  ::)

Can we stop talking about pet peeves?  Or is stopping someone's pet peeves?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005, 06:53:00 am »
Um, physics appear to be a huge part of the procedural generation. The Willosaurus' tail swept from side to side and tweety bird almost tipped over. So, uh... Physics.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2005, 07:25:55 pm »
City:
Some creatures were much larger than the others, it's hard to notice in the tribal stage.
In the building editor, there are 4 buttons where the status bars were, as far as I can tell, they read as follows:

Factory                    Farm
Entertainment          Plumbing

It's very blurry, but there's some psychology reading thing with the shapes of letters.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 12:55:22 am »
think you can get a screenshot?