Author Topic: The Mist - !Spoilers!  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
The Mist - !Spoilers!
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:03:28 am »
Having never read the book I went to this expecting at least an amusing horror movie. It was so much better then that. They really took advantage of human psychology, it wasn't just people endless dying (well it was).  In the theater I saw it in, when the crazy bible lady was shot it erupted into clapping and cheering. It was amusing. I also loved the music played after they get in the car. it just vibrated in your chest.  That was some crazy bass. And I have to say, that was one of the more depressing movie endings I've seen in quite a while. When they showed the tanks the entire theatre just gasped.  I enjoyed the movie far more then I thought I was going to.  My biggest complaint would be the CGI was a bit iffy.

And I kept staring at Laurie Holden the whole time thinking she was Amy Smart  :P

My karma ran over your dogma

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mist - !Spoilers!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:27:07 am »
Finally someone posts about The Mist, I was thinking I would have too do it myself. I heard alot of this Steven King Novel turned Movie. From the way it looks in the commercials the army comes in, so Im guessing everythings fine in the end? Ive heard it was a surprised ending..
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 11:08:12 am »
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Having read the original short story not five minutes before I saw the comercial, I was able to spot a lot of scenes from the book... except for the bits with the army :-\ The original ended with many things still unsolved; eg. the mist didn't go away, no one else was found (except for (maybe) a word that got through on the static-choked radio, they were heading to the station that broadcasted it.), and it hardly turned out all right...

Still, I'm excited to see how it'll look on the big screen. :)

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 01:00:21 pm »
I read the story about 2 years ago, I'm so glad they turned into a movie...I'm going to see it tonight...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 11:15:46 am »
The ending here is a bit mysterious. After the really depressing scene the mist starts to clear and we see the army start to roll through. Flamethrowers are taking out nests of bugs and truckloads of survivors are shown. It's not really explained what happens but my friend and I figured they probably shut the gateway to the other dimension, probably by bombing the complex or something.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 01:02:11 pm »
Oh my god that was a sad ending. Seriously.

And the crazy religious person, when she first started preaching, I was like, ok, she's trouble..c'mon..shoot her!

Good movie though.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 02:36:09 pm »
I know, the ending I was expecting him to get eaten and then probably just have the camera pull away to show the whole world covered in a thick mist or something like that. That was such a sad ending.

And I swear, I can not recognize Marcia Gay Harden (crazy religious lady) for the life of me. She was in town shooting something and I saw some paparazzi taking pictures of someone. She was walking past me so I  had a kinda good look (despite the huge sunglasses and hat) I still didn't recognize her, even though I knew who she was. And again, I didn't click it was her the whole time I watched the movie, only when I got home I realized it was her!

Offline MagnusHawk

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 10:50:47 am »
It seems like a movie you either love or hate. I'm the category of the former!  ;D

I just saw it for the second time this weekend. My wife and I took a friend of ours to go see it. He was completely depressed at the end of the movie, but he got over it. But it was interesting seeing it the second time around. I definitely could see how some people don't like this movie at all. There has to be a goodly suspension of disbelief in order to slip into the psychological drama that is the real story unfolding. It's SO implausible that some people, I think just can't let go.

We were in Philadelphia to see it this second time and the crowd there was different, yet the scenes that should get applause like Ms. Cormandie getting shot did but there was a lot of talking and stupidity. For instance on fool actually brought their 8 year old to see the movie and he cried and screamed to leave within the first half hour (imagine that?!). Yet the ending had everyone, even the loud ones, silent and gasping.

I admire the way they did the movie, letting characters develop and ride this movie instead of turning it into a pointless pain and blood flick. To me that's good movie-making. Sure the ending is sadistic but it's certainly one for the books.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:47:41 am »
the movie: OH YEAH AWESOME! ;D

the ending: awrh ****! :o :'(

i'm so in for talking about this movie! who's here to talk with me!?

oh yeah, and grandma rules! throwing peas 4 life! 6 brave men into a store full of spiders + one grandma! she kicks ass! ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:51:14 am by xenomorph »
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 04:26:26 pm »
Awesome that they made a movie of this. I read the short story years ago and was really happily suprised when I found out about the movie. Just watched it with my brother. Really cool.

It was also nice that some parts were almost exactly how I imagined them in the book. The ending was different, but I liked it. Made me wonder what he would do after what happened. It just must be a horrible feeling, knowing how things ended up. And he thought he was doing the right thing all along.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 07:41:57 pm »
Amazing movie, I saw it today. God the ending was amazing, and it really made me want to read the book. You know I love these kind of Movies and I just found the ending to be completely new and fresh (If you could call it that). I cant imagine what the Dad was feeling after all of this let alone the two Marines beside him lol. Also im glad that crazy relgious lady got shot, she really pissed me off, someone should have at least said "Wheres your god now" while she was reeling from the stomach shot.
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 07:44:22 pm »
The movie was really a nice break from the "happy ending" movies though. And it was still excellent.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 08:53:04 pm »
Happy endings suck! Doom and Gloom is where its at.

Offline Rax Dakkar

• Contributor
  • Boot Hill Bandit
  • So say we All
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 08:09:47 pm »
I just got finished watching the Mist and I loved it.  As far as I'm concerned, it's better than Cloverfield as far as monster movies go (a movie which I enjoyed and looked forward to for a very long time).  The movie was recommended to me from the guys at the Filmspotting podcast (a great movie podcast btw) who said it was a great little "B-Movie" type flick and was worth a rent.  I really liked how suprising and atypical it was for what I expected to be a cheesy "Sci-Fi" originals, "so bad it's good" type movie.  While I definetly saw some of that, and the CGI was pretty pathetic, the movie overall had great interaction and conflict between it's characters.  The almost psychological aspects of the Bible thumper and panicky people was the best part of the movie.  And the ENDING.  Wow, I really, never expected that to happen in a modern Hollywood movie.

Highly Recommended

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:24 pm »
The almost psychological aspects of the Bible thumper and panicky people was the best part of the movie

Is that where that one guy got his name?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 02:08:52 pm »
Ohh, Burn! ;)

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 02:11:02 pm »
Personally, I agree with TheMist, I just think he's to agressive to get people to agree with him.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
The Mist
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 06:07:13 pm »
This film's pretty contentious but it was made by the same guy who did Shawshank Redemption, so I was willing to give it a shot. I thought it was pretty good, except for a handful of scenes, and the ending was a kick in the teeth that I loved and found laughable at the same time, mostly due to Narm.

Full review here: http://axelsplayground.squarespace.com/journal/2010/10/18/the-mist.html
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Re: The Mist
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:00 pm »
I laughed after seeing this title, for reasons you should all know by now.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 07:40:50 pm »
Uh, no, actually, I don't.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »
There were so many people, especially nowadays, being accused of being alts of The Mist, Oct was one of them, and I think even you may have been one.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 12:40:48 am »
Oh, I loved this movie. I agree totally about the ending. I found it dramatic yet laughable. Still loved it anyway.

There's already a thread about this, though. http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=10839.0

gec05

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 10:34:34 am »
There were so many people, especially nowadays, being accused of being alts of The Mist, Oct was one of them, and I think even you may have been one.

And people who describe themselves as luscious metropolitan centers.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »
Loved this movie.

Though, yes, there is already a thread.

gec05

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 04:35:49 pm »
Special Merge Special!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 06:51:10 pm »
And people who describe themselves as luscious metropolitan centers.

Oh Gec!  ;D

In any case, yeah, the ending was pretty anvilicious if you ask me!  :D