Author Topic: 13 year old kills woman to pay for online game  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
Re: 13 year old kills woman to pay for online game
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 09:19:31 pm »
I believe a wise forum member once said, "My face, it palms."

Alas, this is just an average happening in Asia today. For one reason or another, the area that spawned this most boring of genre cannot control the insanity of some players who must "keep playing". Fortunately, these are still relatively isolated incidents, so good gamers can keep on truckin'.

Offline Zerati

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Retreat, to fight again another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 10:07:26 pm »
Even Jack Thompson knows they're regular happenings in Asia, and that's saying something.
Veni Vidi Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 10:11:25 pm »
For one reason or another, the area that spawned this most boring of genre cannot control the insanity of some players who must "keep playing". Fortunately, these are still relatively isolated incidents, so good gamers can keep on truckin'.
I don't wholly agree on that though. :(
MMORPG's are for me, also very boring and repetitive. But that is still not a solid basis for stating that MMORPG's are boring to all people. Some people aren't in the MMORPG genre for the game itself, but for the socializing. I can say the same with all genres. Most shooters are great and full of action ;D, but it just gets so linear at times, but that doesn't mean that all shooters are linear, personally, I like Halo and Chernobyl(It's a shame my PC's graphics card can't handle the specs :-\). Same with RPG's. I like FF and other RPG's like Xenosaga, Legend of Legaya, and Kingdom Hearts(Disney game) for their engaging storylines ;), but I also get bored with it. :) The thing is, no one can say which game is good or bad, we all have different tastes. The best we can do is show our personal opinion. :)

In Short, no one can say which game is good or bad. It all depends. :)

And I think that no game, yes, not even GTA "with hot coffee mod" ::) is to blame. The one to blame is either the person him/herself, the people that allowed him to buy the thing in the first place or raised him/her to love the game as if it was part of his/her body. :) I think the problem with some, not all, game critics is that "just because games are more visual and interactive, they think games are better at influencing people". I don't agree. :-\ People who love books are gonna be much more affected by a book's ideology than a game's philosophy. Again, it depends. :)

There is no one-reason for turning people into blood-thirsty warriors ready to fight to the last breath. 8) :)

Again, in accordance with what I just said, it's all just my opinion. We can all post our own opinions, provided we don't state that it is the world's consensus, cuz it's not.

Terribly sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.  :-X I promise it's not a rant, just a very long statement of opinion, like the one's in magazines, but shorter. :)

Again, sorry. :-\

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 12:31:18 am »
Please stay on topic.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:18:26 pm by Danzik »

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 09:46:18 am »
I agree with you, but gaming often acts as a focus point for many of these incidents, so it is most often picked up by the media hounds. (Read: Jack Thompson)

P.S. When I said MMO's were boring, that was just my personal opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 09:49:54 am »
That is creepy..

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 11:41:30 pm »
Mr. Head, I would like to introduce you to Mr. Desk.
Repeatedly.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 09:11:21 am »
Sig'd!