Author Topic: The Supara  (Read 8034 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
The Supara
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:10:01 pm »
This is it, the Supara.

Sporewiki

Supara
The Supara are a hive-minded race made up of several different species which work together under the rule of a queen. Each species fills a specific niche in the society of the Supara. The five forms of the Supara are the:

-Workers
-Nurses
-Birthing Broods
-Thinkers
-Queen

Here's a picture of a hive (it's underwater)

Workers
-Overall
The workers are the backbone of the Suparan hives. They are the ones that collect food, build the hives, serve the higher Surapa, and fight the wars that occur every once in a while. The workers make up the largest percent of the population. In the average hive, 60% of the population are workers.

-Worker Physiology
The average worker is about 1m (3ft) tall and weighs about 40kgs (90lbs). The overall torso of the worker is a long body, with an extended prehensile tail. A set of legs (one on either side) keep the body above the ground. Hooves sit at the end of the leg, allowing for faster movement. When in the water, the hooves can seperate and become fins, enabling faster movement underwater. About midway down the tail are two light sensing organs that sit on small stalks. These eyes allow for perception whn trying to complete tasks.

Farther forward, between the legs is a thin patch of skin which retracts revealing a mouth. There are no teeth in the mouth, only muscles to move the food back into their esophagus and into the stomach where it is digested. A thin line of hair starts from the front of the creature and moves down to the belly of the worker. When in the water, this line of hair sticks straight out and helps to 'row' the worker forward, increasing forward movement, or acting as a brake to stop the worker.

Here's a pic of the worker:

(sorry for the crappy coloring as well as the overly large pictures...)

More to come, including info/pictures of the other beings in the Supara!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:52:27 pm by Josasa »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Supara
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:32:10 am »
Read up on the wiki.
Pretty great social structure, especially when the queens were still voted.
I like the thinkers the most. They're in the extreme edge of the Brain-Brawn scale. ;)

Overall, awesome and lots of potential. :)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:17:21 pm »
Nurses
-Overall
The Nurses are the female workers of the Supara. They are the ones that take care of the large birthings within the hives as well as the overall upkeeping of the hives. The Nurses are the second largest group of population normall taking up about 20% in the average hive.

-Nurses Physiology
The nurses are basically workers, destined to take care of the hives young. They are about 1m (3ft) tall and weigh about 40kgs (90lbs). The only difference is that their brain is slightly larger (which is located in the forward hump). A small indentation is also located in the hump where the young can be placed and covered with a thin layer of skin.

And here's a picture of the Nurse. I decided not to color it due to the outcome of the worker...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:20:23 pm by josasa »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 06:07:19 am »
Interesting race. Just read the stuff from sporewiki. I like multi-form races, didn't really understood the reproduction though, does the birth broods gives birth to all forms of Suparas?

Would love to know more about their culture and biology (as always :) ).

And the coloring of the worker was pretty good for 'paint' paiting, don't go down on yourself.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 06:35:28 am »
Like what BioCat said, it's actually great. :)
Not so many people here are good at paint. Actually, I thought that it was Photoshopped. :)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 11:50:55 pm »
Interesting race. Just read the stuff from sporewiki. I like multi-form races, didn't really understood the reproduction though, does the birth broods gives birth to all forms of Suparas?

Would love to know more about their culture and biology (as always :) ).

And the coloring of the worker was pretty good for 'paint' paiting, don't go down on yourself.

To answer your question, yes, the birth broods are able to reproduce every single species within the Supara. Sometimes new variations are created adding more diversity to the Supara 'hordes'.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:01:36 pm »
Thinkers
-Overall
The Thinker was first created when a mutation in the DNA of a Birthing Brood created a worker with a much larger brain. This worker proved to be inefficient, and it was only after a meeting with the Queen that the intelligence was noted. The Thinker was granted freedom from work and placed in a separate area that could better utilize its special abilities. Over time the Thinker slowly developed larger brains and their bodies expanded. These beings are basically organic supercomputers.

-Physiology
The Thinkers have become grossly disgorged beings. They are about 3m (9ft) tall and each one weighs about 300kgs (700lbs). Their appearance is similar to a large grub. Most of their body is set aside for brain space while the rest is made for a digestion system. At the front of the body is a small mouth. The body is slightly segmented and the legs on the creature have all but disappeared. Its almost impossible for the Thinkers to move by themselves because of their large mass and lack of appendages.

(Sorry about the big pic again)*

Queen
-Overall
The Queen is the designated ruler of the Hive. In the older days the Queen was normally chosen from among the Workers, but in recent years the Queen has been born specifically every 10 years. When the Queen is born they automatically replace the old Queen who is killed in the mass spawning.

From the time of their birth the Queen is fully mature. On the 9th year of their rule all of the Birthing Broods mate with the Queen. After a year of gestation, the Queen spawns a huge number of offspring, enough to form their own hive. After the Mass Spawning, the Queen dies.

-Physiology
-Normal
The Queen, in her normal state, stands about 1.3m (4ft) tall and weighs about 50kgs (100lbs). A large red dot on her abdomen shows that she is the Queen.
-During Gestation
The size of the Queen, when pregnant, normally depends on the number of Birthing Broods within the Hive. Normally a pregnant queen is about 4m (12ft) tall and weighs about 500kgs (1200lbs).

I didn't draw a picture of the Queen simply because she is basically a Nurse that has a red spot. The only other major difference is when she is giving birth due to the huge swelling of her abdomen. Recent overall growth within the Hive has led to an increase in the size of the Queen during birth.

On another note, would anyone want to RP with me as an introduction of this race to the universe? If so say here or PM me, either one works.

*image resized -M
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:18:04 pm by LadyM »

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:09:12 pm »
The thinker is the UGLIEST alin on these boards so far.

I approve.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:56:41 pm »

I approve.

Thank you, and thank you LadyM for resizing the picture.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 05:19:44 am »

I approve.

Really? I find it cuddly... Maybe I should go check myself up...

Anyway quite cool, I wonder if the queen itself disintegrates in the mass spawning into younglings for that could be much more efficient "bio-mass" wise. Or at list is she eaten later?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 06:20:28 am »
*Hugs the thinker*

It's sooooo cute. Can I have one? :-)

About the RP, I'll try, though I'm not so sure if I can because of the coming exams. Maybe HW would like to RP with the Supara. I'm sure the Elbeasts would love to meet a Thinker. ;)

PS. Nice Update.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 01:10:34 pm »

I approve.

Really? I find it cuddly... Maybe I should go check myself up...

Anyway quite cool, I wonder if the queen itself disintegrates in the mass spawning into younglings for that could be much more efficient "bio-mass" wise. Or at list is she eaten later?

I could see it being cuddly in the big, fat, grotesque kinda way... ;)

The Queen really loses conciousness a few weeks into the birthing process. After that she never comes out of her deep sleep, but she is not eaten. The Queen is seen as their ruler, as part of the Hive, and is almost like a god to the Supara. Her remains are burned and spread across the crops underwater, hoping to bring a good harvest. I should probably add this to the sporewiki.

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 06:19:16 pm »
What color is the Nurses? And I assume the Thinker is whitish, like a grub?

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 02:34:20 pm »
The Nurses are slightly lighter blue with bright yellow stripes to signify their position. And yes, the Thinkers are grayish-white.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 08:57:40 pm »
((I'm bring back this race a bit to RP with the newer races. At this point I plan on it being one of the 'evil' races which are aggressive. Eventually it's possible that a giant war may erupt in which the Supara get whipped. We'll see how it works out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.))

In the early days of Suparan space exploration, things had been looking good. The total population had doubled several times, reaching the trillions. At the same time the economy had expanded to meet the growing needs of the Suparan race. Along with all of this, contact with other races had been established and the overall wealth and power of the Suparan race grew almost as rapidly as their numbers.

But disaster struck. A debilitating virus, most likely caught from some foreign ecosystem, had infected one of the Queens. This was spread to several hives, and then eventually to many worlds through the massive commercial fleet that the Supara had created. The death of these Queens led to the lack of control of a huge number of the swarm, which basically led to a civil war within the Suparan race. It took many years, and many lives to reconquer all of the worlds that the Supara had once controlled. The economy was destroyed as everything was focused on regaining their former glory.

Following this massive civil war, the Supara isolated themselves from the rest of the galaxy in an attempt to rebuild themselves. The one good thing that the Supara gained from this was that they had become 'stronger' by gaining several new warrior species as well as new knowledge on space warfare which was passed on to all of the new Thinkers.

In the more recent years the Supara have begun exploring outside of their systems again, making contact with both old and new races. But because of their civil war, they have become more aggressive in their mentality, and are more than likely to extend this mentality when dealing with aliens.