Author Topic: A Long Way From Home: The Lahktoa Frontier [RP]  (Read 15402 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
A Long Way From Home: The Lahktoa Frontier [RP]
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:48:25 am »
OOC Thread shall arrive tomorow. This is simply the taster. Consider this a Space-based Wild West/Cowboy RP.

The first thing you notice about this planet is the Sun. It is huge, omnipresent. It hangs in the sky like a vengeful god, bringing down fire upon the endless sands and hard rock of this horrible planet, that is home to savages, degenerates, bandits, murderers, rapists and worst of all, the occasional Saintly man. The second is that, beyond the settlements, the sand moves; it breathes. Like the planet is a huge heart, the swirling Sand Seas pools of blood that will suck down errant beings at it's will, suffocating, crushing and inevitably burning and preserving in glass. Lahktoa was intended to be a Paradise, back when it was first colonised. They called it 'New Banaqaq'; believing, as many did, that digging down, down, down for the Lahkglass would soon yield a great fortune and make the planet a great trading one, like Redhaven, or Beyon, or...or Azuron! It was supposed to be a place of wealth and prosperity for those with endless effort, graft, determination and just a smidgen of luck. And the Sun burned.

What fools we 'pioneers' were. It was only a few months in, when we realised the dangers. Lahktoa produced Lahkglass, a key ingredient in SmartMetal, by pulling objects caught in the Sand Seas down into the core, and slowly pushing it up to the surface. We had expected to build Mining facilities, but that proved impossible. It was a tragedy. And the Sun burned.

No research was done, we were simply told: On Lahktoa a poor man will stand high. He will rule, be rich, find a place in this horrible ****ing galaxy. So, we built our Mines on the sands, erected fences between each Companie's holdings. They were sucked down and crushed, as were the miners. Turned into the very substance they had come for. And the Sun burned.

Y'see Lahktoa was not as we expected. There are maybe 3 or 4 big continental plates. 3 or 4 because, to be honest, we simply don't know. How many altogether? Billions, some only a few meters across, constantly sliding and slipping in and out whilst the sands slis and slump in silent swirling patterns. Holes can appear with no warning a thousand feet deep, and you will plunge, plunge down into the boiling heat of Lahktoa's raging mantle in a torrent of sand. Mines did not last long. All settlement that was not on the big continent was obliterated. And the Sun burned.

But, we had to make a living. The fat and the wealthy owned us, for we had become an indentured worker for Lahktoa's various mining firms (It being expected that being indentured for 5 or ten years would allow a man to buy his freedom and have spare enough coinage set up his won small business, if his thoughts drifted so). They made up new schemes, splatting shanty towns on the edge of the big continents and hiring Spacecraft to fly us out to the sands, where we would find a recently erupted area and gather surface Lahkglass until it became apparent that danger threatened, at which point we would zip home. Of course, danger seldom made itself apparent so most of us died if we got cocky, or slow. We learned to respect the Sand Sea, whilst it treated us with scorn and contempt, for, respect it as we did, we stole it's treasures. We pulled in a measly amont of Lahkglass, thus, more workers arrived. Slaves, prisoners, gamblers...The Businesses were terrified of losing thier investment, but with our lives they were about as tight-fisted as a fat drunken Urshan. Life became cheap. Very cheap. So, over time, did things like chastity, diginity and freedom. We became a bed of sin, perversion and we were horribly, horribly controlled. And the Sun burned.

We gained our independce from the Confederacy when it became apparent the lucrative money from taxing Lahkglass would never come, but the cost of keeping us alive was there from the start. They prefered to sell our Government, which served the will and whim of the Business fatcats, supplies.It was a tough life, but tougher for the Savages. They knew ways, the lore of this hellish place, to survive. But they could not survive us. We were treated as gods. Not since the Battle of Cha-hakan Nation. Now we are treated as Demons. They stick to the middle of the Continents, us to the edge. We oft need to go through thier territories, and you see them stare from hidden places. Impassive. Unpertubed. Or maybe we are just unable to comprehend thier expression. Who knows the minds of savages? And the Sun burned.

The Sun Burned, Lahktoa Burned, and we dwelled in this hell. And, as it was hell, no vice was considered taboo.

The Revolution made us free of fatcat businessmen. A little, anyway. That was...20 years ago? I fought, back then. Lost a tentacle and Mad Likan's pass, an eye at Heslien. Now, I have my own holding. My own little Inn. Small, crass, ugly, but mine. I got the papers to prove that. One piece of Land the can't move old Lokai-One-Eye off from. I did some things I'm not proud of after my indenture; and some I am. Less said about it the better, what with the new Redhaven-trained Magistrate in town, y'hear?

But that notice. I'll be damned if it ain't spooked me more than a Native's whailing song. The Cold eyes of that man stare at me from the crumpled paper.
                                      WANTED
                                         Jakai Naish.
                                Reward: 5000 Lahkcoin
                                        Dead, not alive.

Hmmm....

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
Re: A Long Way From Home: The Lahktoa Frontier [RP]
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:13:38 pm »
((Nice one. Sounds good, and I can't wait to see more. I can see where you got your idea, but this still looks good. Real good.  :)

I'd join in, but my lil' dudes are still in the city/tribal phase, not in space yet. But I can assure you, I'll be watching.))

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 12:16:22 pm »
You could play as a member of pretty much any race....
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:21:55 pm »
((I know. But it just wouldn't be as fun for me.  :-X ))

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 12:23:25 pm »
I'll use the good ol' Austians this time. They're union members ya see.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 12:56:06 pm »
Looks great. Hope this one would really prosper, I am really into playing a depth character, and the settings might force me to try a different type than I usually do.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:57:54 pm »
Good, good.

The story will initailly require you to hunt a guy across the land. You won't know why. You won't know who hired you. You just see a poster, and want that 5000 Lahkcoin.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 07:58:45 pm »
Nice. I've been wanting to get into a non-war-related-Spore RP.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:38:52 am »
(Sorry about my tardiness, Family Xmas stuff. No more OOC speech here.)

As you enter the bar, in search of work, you see a certain poster hanging on the wall. 5000 Lahkcoin? A fortune. And it's a better way of earning it than the alternative. You inquire at the bar about the poster, and he motions you towards a table. You'll need help in this quest, and there will be more applicants. You will also meet your employer, or an agent of your employer. He seems very eager to get the whole business over with....

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 02:50:42 am »
"I can feel it. This is it. This is what I have been waiting for all these decades. Why, this is the reason why I went to this ball of death in the first place.

Five k huh? Seems like the stiff's pretty fat in the pocket. But why would I need someone else to help me take down this Jakai Naish person? Is the old twig that hard to kill? I guess I better go on with this gig anyway. No point in staying in this dust bin town anyway."

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 03:16:21 am »
Kla'ska looked at the poster, and smirked. "Poor guy" he said quitely "I'll make it quick for him, a poison spine to the head, from a Poisonous River Cactus, nah, to long ranged, I'll never get to his body, and too rare, there isn't a river within walkin' distance, I'll ned backup". His mouth claws scratched the side of his mouth, in thirst, he obliged, taking up his canteen, and drunk the dusty water from it.

Kla'ska went up to the bar, and said "So, whats all this about Jakia Naish, or whatever his name is?"

The barman gestured to a table where Kla'ska lowered himself into his seat.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Dr. Croccer

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Ceci n'est pas un gueu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 04:43:19 am »
The perfect prey Guhltai thought whilst looking at the wanted poster, Tough and pricy. The honour is mine. He must be honoured to be such a popular prey. His blood will baptize me into the Great Beyond.

He walked towards the bar and had a small talk with the bartender, the conversation being drowned out by the random conversations between other people. The bartender pointed towards a table in a corner and Guhltai nodded.

The large Guhlai, completely covered in armour and wearing a knight-like helmet with dust attatched to it and covered in a large cloak as well walked towards the darkest corner of the table and continued to spy on the entire bar and the other applicants with his glowing eyes hidden behind his helmet.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:36:34 am by Dr. Croccer »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 07:58:32 am »
Just another day for Jorad, as he set quietly near the bar minding his own business as he did every day for the past few years. He scouted around the area as he always did looking for some news when he sighted the poster. “So little information for such a task? How weird, must be quite hash hash mission, maybe even not worth the risk. But oh well, 5000 coins could really make his day, perhaps even enough to stop glass scavenging for the rest of his rusty life”. He exchanged a word with the barman who by now knew he quite well and referred him to the small table where he set down not saying a word.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 10:11:10 am »
Brick walked into the same bar he had been in last night. A glance at the wall showed a poster. The money was what grabbed Brick's attention. 5000 Lahkcoin. Enough to pay for several cross-planetary trips, both to get off this hellhole of a world and to escape his incessant pursuers. Either way it was a lot of money, especially for a life with little luxury.

Brick walked over to the bar tender and pointed to the poster.

"What do i need to do to get in on this?" The bartender just pointed to a table with several people of various races already sitting around it. Brick nodded to the bartender and made his way to the group of races. He grabbed a chair and sat down.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 05:03:11 am »
As Kanenatsu sat down, he looked at the other applicants. "These guys look like they could be useful...", he said to himself in a very low voice so no one else could here what he just said. "They'd make excellent meatshields. Especially the Barroc one."