Author Topic: Flatland!  (Read 29998 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Flatland!
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 06:24:51 am »
Quote from: Flatland
`Whenever you open your eyes, you see a Plane (which is of Two Dimensions) and you INFER a Solid (which is of Three); but in reality you also see (though you do not recognize) a Fourth Dimension, which is not colour nor brightness nor anything of the kind, but a true Dimension, although I cannot point out to you its direction, nor can you possibly measure it.'

And there you go. Time is not a dimension. Another dimension would have to be something we have no understanding of.

No, Time is a dimension, we have a little understanding of it because we still move through it, albeit in a linear fashion (unless 2008 turns out to be year 0 with and the activation of the Large Hadron Collider triggers a wave of visitors from the future >_>)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 03:30:45 pm »
Oh! I'll paint the "greetings from the past" banners, you bake a cake.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 03:40:32 pm »
But Time is its own dimension, not the 4th spatial one. It effects every spatial dimension. The 4th dimension flatland talks about is a 4th spatial one.

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 04:41:53 pm »
But it's still a dimension.

And if it really matters, it is very possible to think of time spacially. Every human would look like a long worm as everything they ever do is visible.

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2008, 09:59:43 pm »
Time only goes one way. No spatial dimension we know of does. Is it a terrible leap of logic to say that time isn't a spatial dimension? Time is a dimension, but not a spatial dimension.

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 03:44:41 am »
I know, all I said was it is possile to think of time as a spacial dimension. :P

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 07:44:24 am »
i read flatland.. made me brain hurt for a bit.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 03:27:13 pm »
Have any of you read the other flatland? The one in which a normal man is visited by a 4th dimensional creature?

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2008, 08:10:52 am »
It ain't written by the same guy, you know.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2008, 08:21:01 am »
Course the analogy falls apart since geometrical figures have no sentience to speak of...
Yeah.  In "A Brief History of Time", Stephen Hawking says that 2-dimensional creatures would be nearly impossible, as they would have to climb over each other if they lived on a planet with a 1-dimensional surface, and a digestive tract would split them in two.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2008, 07:59:25 pm »
It's an analogy though. So it doesn't really matter. Plus, they can't go over one another, since that would imply a depth dimension. That's not to say that 2D space in the real world is an impossibility. In fact, (I may have mentioned this before) electrons in between graphite sheets behave very much like 2D particles. I think the term for these special particles is anon.

Here's a picture to chew on.

This is called a Klein Bottle. It's like a Moebius Strip, in that it has only one side. However, you notice that it intersects with itself. This is due to the fact that it was "immersed" in 3D space, whereas in 4D space it would not intersect with itself, since the neck would be "lifted" into the fourth dimension and then placed back.