Author Topic: Flatland!  (Read 30560 times)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Flatland!
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 07:17:39 am »
I actually had a discussion about this with a friend in philosophy class yesterday. After discussing something else I asked him how you would be able to travel faster than light speed. My suggestion was to bend the dimensions, and we started talking about flatlander and dimensions.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 05:02:28 am »
What do you think will happen if we were suddenly able to see a 4-Dimensional world? What would it feel like? Would it be like a blind person being able to see for the first time? :)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 05:08:34 pm »
You couldn't see a four dimensional world under any circumstances.

This isn't infrared Yuu, it's another DIMENSION.

We're three dimensional beings, so we couldn't have an organ capable of detecting four dimensions.

Flatlanders can't exactly have an eyeball now can they?

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 05:53:56 pm »
There is a book called Spaceland where a 4-dimensional creature genetically modifies a human to have a 4-dimensional eye.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 05:37:37 am »
There is a book called Spaceland where a 4-dimensional creature genetically modifies a human to have a 4-dimensional eye.
Somewhat near my idea. :) If we could feel what a 4Der or 7Der would feel, what would it be like?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 07:40:48 am »
On a somewhat related note, I had a discussion pertaining to this sort of stuff and we figured out that logically a 4d organism (That is, one which can move at will through length, width, depth and duration, while being dragged along through a 5th dimension) with intelligence equivalent to a human would need be only a fraction of the size (even factoring in its 'size' in time). Since the brain functions on connections and you can fit in more overlapping connections with each dimension you add.

A creature with a brain of 1500 cm4 (if time is indeed a spatial dimension then one should be able to measure it in cms, inches or any other length measurement), would be vastly more intelligent than us humans with out 1500 cc brains.
So perhaps 4d people live among us, but are really tiny  :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 12:59:40 am »
I always wondered why outside and inside weren't considered dimensions.

Because they're still places bound to the 3 measurable dimensions (no time, no!) within our universe and can both be placed on the same map?

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 01:50:40 pm »
Time is a measurable dimension.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:44 am »
Off topic. Does this mean ancancion it a portal to 10D?

Sorry for bad spelling.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 01:06:28 pm »
If we were "dragged" into the 4th dimension, our space would become fourth dimensional, evealing a massive gap in our body, our organs would fall ata and we would die. :(
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 01:25:53 pm »
If we were "dragged" into the 4th dimension, our space would become fourth dimensional, evealing a massive gap in our body, our organs would fall ata and we would die. :(

Not really. Our organs would simply occupy the 0 point of the fourth dimension. So if our heart was at (1,12,12.31) before, it would be at (1,12,12.31,0) after.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 01:38:39 pm »
But if you brought a flatlander into the 3rd dimension and turned him sideways, are you saying his organs would stay put?

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 01:43:41 pm »
Well, you are moving him and therefore his organs. Really, all you'd be doing is performing a trasformation on him, for instance, if you lay flat a rectangle and stand it up, all it does is ditch one dimenension for another. Nothing magically plops out.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 02:02:34 pm »
Damn you and your understanding of how gravity affects lower dimensional beings in a higher dimension plane!

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2008, 06:44:43 pm »
Quote from: Flatland
`Whenever you open your eyes, you see a Plane (which is of Two Dimensions) and you INFER a Solid (which is of Three); but in reality you also see (though you do not recognize) a Fourth Dimension, which is not colour nor brightness nor anything of the kind, but a true Dimension, although I cannot point out to you its direction, nor can you possibly measure it.'

And there you go. Time is not a dimension. Another dimension would have to be something we have no understanding of.

Course the analogy falls apart since geometrical figures have no sentience to speak of...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:50:26 pm by Neoskel »