Author Topic: Flatland!  (Read 29897 times)

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
Re: Flatland!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 12:06:23 am »
 ::)
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 12:01:27 pm »
Sounds.................. Confusing  :(

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 09:45:27 pm »

Don't think like a Flatlander.  Don't be limited to your own dimensions.  I know how dimensions work.   I would love to play a game of 4-dimensional chess, but I can't figure out how to make the board, and can't find anyone who has ascended into unbiased mathematical opinions.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 05:44:26 pm »
Despite how open minded you are, your brain evolved to cope with a 3-dimensional environment.  Thinking about 4-dimensions conceptually is possible, but you are unable as a human to truly visualize it.  Sad but true...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:21 pm »

Don't think like a Flatlander.  Don't be limited to your own dimensions.  I know how dimensions work.   I would love to play a game of 4-dimensional chess, but I can't figure out how to make the board, and can't find anyone who has ascended into unbiased mathematical opinions.

If that doesn't make it glaringly obvious you don't understand 4 dimensions, nothing will.

Also, playing chess with a fourth dimension of time is simple. Simply take the piece out of play for as many turns as the squares it moves. That way, it is moving forward in space and time.

Unfortunately this constrains it like checkers in that the pieces may not move backwards in time.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:31:20 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 07:32:16 pm »
I can understand four dimensions, I just can't go to them.  I am talking about a fourth spacial dimension.  Time is not a dimension.

Or, in other words, The Time Machine story might as well be cake.  The real way to travel in time, of course, is to promise yourself that when you make one, you will tell your past self how to make it.  It just works because the Casuality is constant.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 07:36:32 pm »
No. Time is a dimension. Bad Dumdum.

And you can't say you've "ascended" into "understanding" four dimensions. To humans, it's purely a mathematical function. You can't see in four dimensions or even comprehend it. Especially not you.

And that doesn't work. You need to be able to make it at some point, then begin the causality loop.

If at no point in any future possible timeline do you have the capability, the loop doesn't occur.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 05:53:15 am »
I still have trouble seeing time as a "fourth" dimension. Time isn't, as far as I could gather, an exact measurement since it is directly tied in with gravity and speed.

Then again I am no mathematician or physicist, so every thing I say is based on my very limited understanding of the subject matter.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 06:46:41 am »
Time is a dimension, HW.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 08:09:14 am »
I still have trouble seeing time as a "fourth" dimension. Time isn't, as far as I could gather, an exact measurement since it is directly tied in with gravity and speed.

The spatial dimensions, by your logic, aren't dimensions because they too are affected by gravity and speed.

Lorentz Contraction

That might help. :)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 08:33:07 am »

The spatial dimensions, by your logic, aren't dimensions because they too are affected by gravity and speed.

Lorentz Contraction

That might help. :)

Actually I am not sure what I meant. Trying to explain something you don't understand is rather hard.

Anyway, I don't really understand this since I am not very good at math, or physics for that matter. I know that time is the fourth dimension though I wouldn't be able to explain why it is. Something about being relative to your position and the time, or something.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 08:43:23 am »
http://revver.com/video/99898/imagining-the-tenth-dimension/

Watch that, it should clear quite a bit up.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 09:19:59 am »
Nice video, though there were some things I didn't completely understand. Some of the things I think were a little far fetched though, like the tenth dimensions sub atomic particles being the building blocks for all other dimensions. Though as the video says, it isn't an accepted theory.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 06:11:08 pm »
Brandonazz, did you come up with the 4d chess idea yourself or is it alread an established variant?
Either way its a very clever idea, but it would be nigh-impossible to play if you didn't make notes to yourself about where pieces were.
Not to mention it wouldn't really be 4d chess unless it were played in a giant floaty cube of some sort... just like 'regular' 3d chess.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 06:54:14 pm »
I thought it up myself. It was just to serve as an example.

I'm sure much could be done to make it better, though.

For example, you could choose how long into the future it moves based on how many spaces it may move.

If it can move four spaces diagonally, then you can move it three spaces that way and one turn into the future.

A turn is done by either player in the sense that you can have a piece reappear at the end of their turn.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:56:33 pm by Brandonazz »