Author Topic: WGA strike  (Read 6189 times)

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
WGA strike
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:27:55 pm »
Okay, I'm not sure why no one made a topic about this yet (since it is the single most important thing to happen to television for a long time), but here goes. So, for anyone who doesn't know, the Writers Guild of America has officially gone on strike, which basically means that all our favorite shows are screwed. Here's an article from IGN explaining how different shows will be effected: http://tv.ign.com/articles/832/832730p1.html

I really hope this gets resolved quickly, otherwise who knows what could happen :-[

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: WGA strike
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:03:19 pm »
Oh boy, more reality TV! (kidding)

The last one lasted 22 weeks but hopefully it wont go on that long.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:42:58 pm »
Apparently, this strike is pretty big if the strike isn't resolved in a few months. NBC axed Heroes's Orgins because of this.  :-[ Then there's the reruns that would be occurring... I've also read about this and the networks are saying it might last 3-4 months. Is the good side of TV doomed?
Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:41:31 pm »
I'm quite worried about the new shows. I hope they make it out alive (at least the ones I watch :p)

A Sound Design friend joked how the writers are babies and the boom operators should really go on strike.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:03:25 am »
overall, while it's sucking big for TV, i have to agree with the writers based on everything i've read about this whole thing.

usually, writers are paid a lump sum of $250,000 each time one of their episodes goes into syndication...what's called a "residual."  since writers work sporadically (with 75% of the WGA members being unemployed at any given time...but i'm guessing, say, ted elliott and terry rossio aren't really ever in that statistic, lol...), they depend on residuals. 

with the advent of the internet, people watching things online and purchasing to watch on their iPods, the writers have a point...they should get something like a residual for that, too, since more people from all over the world are watching and being entertained by the episode. the studios want to give them $250 per episode for every episode of theirs that appears on the internet, which put in perspective against the $250,000 for tv syndication residuals, is pretty much BS.  the studios are being greedy, period.

when 4 major studios cancelled their writers' contracts the other day, it meant they're mostly sticking a fork in this year's tv season and focusing on next september.  so yeah...i hope some of the cool new series make it, and some of the old ones that were on the bubble.  this was supposed to be scrubs' last year, but now it might not go out in a manner befitting the show...it could just STOP.   :(

...because hitting toons is healthier than hitting kids...

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 12:54:10 pm »
I'm having a hard time being sympathetic to the writers. They write their episode, produce a product and they get paid. It seems greedy to want more when they agreed to their "payment for product" in the first place. But I also think actors are paid too much. They are also preventing others from doing their jobs, people who probably need the work like boom operators, cameramen and the other paid by the hour jobs.

There are plenty of independent writers who would love a chance to step in for the money these people make. It just seems like extortion to go on strike for more money. Having owned a business before maybe I'm looking at it from an employer point of view.

I only know of one writer that was on GS and the one in my family feels the same way. If I'm missing an important point of this strike, I'd love to hear it. Meanwhile, I'm not really missing the TV, I still have my internet.  :)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:15:03 pm »
My views on the strike:  The writers deserve the money, but shows like the Daily Show ect. should be allowed to write their own shows in the interim.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:16:26 pm »
It seems to me that the writers have shot themselves in the foot with this. The people I have talked to about this are annoyed that they can't watch their favorite shows but they've all found other things to do in their place. All the writers have managed to do is get themselves out of the job for a few weeks.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:27:17 pm »
It seems to me that the writers have shot themselves in the foot with this. The people I have talked to about this are annoyed that they can't watch their favorite shows but they've all found other things to do in their place. All the writers have managed to do is get themselves out of the job for a few weeks.

Yeah... ya know I never thought of it that way.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇´)人(´∇`)人(`∇´)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 07:55:40 am »
There are plenty of independent writers who would love a chance to step in for the money these people make.

oh, make no mistake, i'm one of these.  ;)

...because hitting toons is healthier than hitting kids...

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:29:45 am »
There are plenty of independent writers who would love a chance to step in for the money these people make.

oh, make no mistake, i'm one of these.  ;)

Cool! I guess it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Strike Is Over! (Well Almost)
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »
It's over!
It's finally over! (Pending vote goes well.)
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4274&Itemid=99
I can just picture Felicity Huffman on television again!
Though I'm most curious if it occured in time to save scrubs...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:52:11 pm »
It didn't save Journeyman, and it certainly didn't save Jericho. I just hope we still get Heroes Origins.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:00:02 pm »
I don't think it's over. Other then that site I'm finding now news about it being over. Everythings says it's still talking.  Lastest I can see they are holding meetings on saturday to "discuss and gain feedback" on the latest proposed contract.

It didn't save Journeyman, and it certainly didn't save Jericho. I just hope we still get Heroes Origins.

Jericho has NOTHING to do with the writers strike. CBS canceled Jericho because of low ratings. Fans cried out and sent over 20 tons of nuts to CBS HQ. They agreed to a Season 2 with 7 episodes. Those 7 episodes were already written by the time of the strike.   
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:41 am »
I don't think it's over. Other then that site I'm finding now news about it being over.
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&resnum=0&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&ncl=1129704173
Of course, this is all if Michael Eisner is to be believed.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master