Poll

What should I explain next?

More biology, more, more!
Every race brings a new tech to the table, what have these guys got?
Uh, where do the Chion live in the first place?

Author Topic: Chion - Feral Fighters  (Read 6566 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Chion - Feral Fighters
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:48:28 am »
A Typical Chion

Better picture coming soon...

Their volcanic homeworld, Trellit.

Basic Information
Name: Chion
Classification: Social quasi-Mammal
Average Height: 2.5 feet (at withers)
Average Length: 2.5 feet
Average Weight: 35-50 pounds
Natural Lifespan: 80-90 years
Diet: Carnivorous
Natural Armor: Keratin plating, bone-like protrusions
Natural Weaponry: Sharp teeth, horns, claws
Intelligence: Slightly above average
Locomotion: Quadrupedal walking, rolling
Graspers: Three elephant-like trunks, each with four fingers
Natural Habitat: Volcanic areas (think Mustafar)
CAS Classification:

Internal Systems
Skeletal System
The Chion skeleton is very resilient. It allows them to fall down in their hot, craggy environment, and take blows that would crush the skeleton of a human. Bones are also solid, lacking the bone marrow of some animals, yet not hollow, like the flying birds. The also lack any type of jaw, all food being eaten by the middle trunk. The have three spines.

Respiratory System
Four large lungs process air, taking the hydrogen gases readily available in the planets atmosphere. The nostril is located near the top of the head, more like a dolphin's blowhole in placement than anything. The put out carbon dihydride, similar to the way humans output carbon dioxide. The diaphragm sits in between the lungs, and expands in all directions forcing all lungs to exhale at once.

Circulatory System
The heart sits near the neck, and is comprised of twelve chambers. It functions just as you might imagine, and pumps blood through the body. With six chambers for pulmonary circulation (pumping dehydrogenated blood from the heart), and six for systematic circulation (pumping hydrogen-rich blood into the heart). As in most biological beings, the body is filled and laced with veins, arteries, capillaries, and other such structures. The circulatory system is also combined with the lymphatic system, and handles all of the immune functionalities. Their blood is a thick, milky white.

Digestive System
Digestion starts in the mouth, which is located underneath the middle trunk. The esophagus the carries it into the sheath containing the stomach. Here the three-chambered stomach breaks it down. First the omasum extracts water and some nutrients. Then they have a rumen and a reticulum, where matter is digested. Several pancreas-like organs emit enzymes that control digestion. From here food is transported directly to their version of the long intestine. Then what is left is deposited through a special organ that coats the fecal matter in a type of soft shell; this prevents predators from smelling the leftovers. All waste is disposed of in this way, eliminating the need for a urinary system.

Endocrine System
The endocrine system of the Chion is vastly simpler than in most other animals. A single organ, linked directly to the brain, controls all of the hormonal action in the body. This system has its ups and downs. For one thing, its less complex form allows it to go unscathed through most battles. However, if it is damaged, there are massive (usually fatal) consequences.

Integumentary System
The Chion have surprisingly soft skin. However, they are almost completely covered in a set of pangolin-like scales. The underside, trunks, face, and ears are the only areas not covered. These are made of a keratin-like substance that is extremely durable. Between the skin and scales there is a layer of short, patched fur. This is entirely vestigial and serves no purpose. Their forelegs are tipped with two large claws, while the hindlegs have one smaller claw apeice. The Chion have an amazing cooling system. They have a double coating of eccrine sweat glands. This keeps them cool underneath their scales. They also have a small set of apocrine glands that no longer function, due to a genetic malfunction, similar to the way the veremonasal no longer functions in humans.

Muscular System
Chion have muscles similar to humans, in that they can only contract. Layout is as you would expect, and allows for a great range of movement. Chion muscles are extremely durable, and are much less likely to tear then ordinary muscles. They are also extremely compact, providing a smaller target for predators.

Nervous System
Within their armored cavity of a cranium sits the brain, which allows them average intelligence. They also have excellent reflexes and coordination. To produce movement, they send electrical signals down the osteoderm lined upper spine (their other two spines are for support only). Then theses signals reach nerves and stimulate the muscles.

Sensory Systems
Sight
The Chion have a very underdeveloped sense of sight, despite their large eyes. It is comparable to that of the domestic dog. They only have the basic ability to see shapes, however wavy, and a few colors. However, their other senses compensate for this deffiency. In fact, sight is considered the least important sense, and blindness is just barely considered a disability.

Audition
Hearing is surprisingly poor in the Chion. They have very large ears, but these are used primarily to vent heat, like a jack rabbit. Their hearing is just marginally better than a human's, though it is thought to be vastly more important than sight.

Gustation
The Chion, being of extremely poor vision have developed a great sense of taste, so as to tell different foodstuffs apart more easily. It also helps in determining what matter is digestible. Like in humans, the sense of smell compliments and refines the sense of taste.

Olfaction
Smell is considered the most valuable sense. The Chion have three nostrils, one at the tip of each trunk. They have approximately 600,000,000 smell receptors, making their sense of smell twice as powerful as a bloodhound's. Most of these receptors are located at the base of the trunks, where they all converge at the head. The sense of smell is so strong that they use it for navigation, social interaction, hunting, and even scent-based art. Unlike in humans, the Chion have something similar to the vomeronasal, allowing them to pick up hormones in the air. Chion can also use the fingers on their trunks to widen their nostrils, thereby directly scent to their vomeronasal, much the same way horses curl their upper lip to direct scents there.

Somatosensory
The sense of touch is almost moot in the Chion; their scaly covering prevents most things from touching their skin. However, they can detect basic textures, pressure, and temperatures on the unsheilded places of their body, such as their underside, trunks, or face.

Thermoception
Temperature is very important to Chion. It allows them to detect where a volcanoe could possibly erupt or form, and to feel whether an object will burn them. However, this sense is no more developed than that of a human.

Equilibrioception
The Chion have a very excellent sense of balance, comparable to cats able to walk on fences or ropes. This allows them to scramble along the many cliffs, crags, and banks of lava flows that cover their planet. They can also detect acceleration, and their orientation. Like mammals, it is carried out in the inner ear.

Magnetoreception
Perhaps their second most acute sense, magnetoreception is very useful for detecting volcanic activity. It is also used in navigation. By utilizing their planet's magnetic feild, they can find their way around. Most Chion experience extreme disorientation when first arriving on a planet due to the unfamiliar magnetic feild, but usually soon adjust.

More Information Coming Soon
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:16:20 pm by Arachoid »

I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
Re: New Race Around the Bend!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:32:30 pm »
We shall await the new arrival anxiously, I'm sure.
8)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Chion - Feral Fighters
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:39:21 pm »
Updated...
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:41:36 am »
Feral Fighters hmm.. sounds interesting  :)

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:52:17 pm »
Out from that topic you made about a gigantic and spectacular creature coming around the bend, i was thinking that we would get some extreme creature that would kick the Nacuean off its throne and rule for eternity.

But it isn't, how dissapointing.

I'm waiting for more though. Good luck!

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 04:37:01 pm »
And is comprised of...? :P

Really though, you've got me interested. I'll be looking for more!

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 11:12:11 am »
Out from that topic you made about a gigantic and spectacular creature coming around the bend, i was thinking that we would get some extreme creature that would kick the Nacuean off its throne and rule for eternity.

But it isn't, how dissapointing.

I'm waiting for more though. Good luck!

I don't recall ever saying or implying any of that. Next time try reading a post, instead of just trying to make trouble.

I updated the original post. This update gives insight as to their internal operations.
I say NO! to all limits.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 11:17:57 am »
How do the Chion transform hydrogen into oxygen? Do their lungs make nuclear reaction inside it that provide for their energy? Because we output carbon dioxide due to chemical processes adding the carbon the the oxygen. If they are carbon creatures, they should put out carbon dihydroxide or simply carbon hydroxide.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:19:11 am »
How do the Chion transform hydrogen into oxygen? Do their lungs make nuclear reaction inside it that provide for their energy? Because we output carbon dioxide due to chemical processes adding the carbon the the oxygen. If they are carbon creatures, they should put out carbon dihydroxide or simply carbon hydroxide.

Oops, your right. Sorry 'bout that!
I say NO! to all limits.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:24:14 pm »
No problem.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:29 pm »
Yeah, I don't get to take Chemistry until next year, even though I;m in the advanced science class.
I say NO! to all limits.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:39:58 pm »
Could you make a rough sketch for these buggers? Or a superb artwork, whatever catches your drift.

PS: I made a mistake. I mixed Hydroxide and Hydride together. Actually, it should be carbon dihydride, sorry. Hydroxide is hydrogen and oxygen mixed.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:43:02 pm by Yannick »

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 12:42:39 pm »
I actually have a picture drawn up, but I have no scanner. The only one I could use is at my grandma's place,, so it may be a bit...
I say NO! to all limits.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:55:56 pm »
Updated.
I say NO! to all limits.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 03:10:36 pm »
Woot for magnetolocation.