Author Topic: What happens when the lying starts up?  (Read 6357 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
What happens when the lying starts up?
« on: August 19, 2005, 06:26:07 pm »
Hey, My 2nd cousins, best friends older sisters, mother in law, works with a guy who's brother met will wright once, and in that meeting will told him everything about spore that will be in the game, and gave him a free demo disk which i ended up with! Ask me anything about the game and i'll tell you!  ::)

It happens for almost every hot game that's highly anticipated...someone online claims to eigther be, be related to, or know someone who's related to someone working on the game or has played it somehow.

After reading this little tidbit...
http://simcity.ea.com/bbs/messages.php?&openItemID=&threadID=126fc8937e13028a7a9bc3dde63de86c&directoryID=261&startRow=1#f5839026f213aac2b98419ec1519027a

...I decided to create this post so people can show what kind of stuff like that they come across online over the following year before spore comes out.

Ladies and gentlemen, Start your search engines! lol...but really, if you come across something like that please, post it here...it's intresting to read...

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: What happens when the lying starts up?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 06:40:11 pm »
Well are you going to try to email Maxis for it?  ;)

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 12:31:34 am »
Spore is a massive conspiracy to hide the real story of how God created the world.

Spore will NOT have spleens.  EVER.  There will be other organs, but no spleens.  They just don't do that sort of thing.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 04:38:20 am »
If you make the empire state building in the games building editor then you unlock a hidden playable demo of Simcity 5. It uses the procedural engine so you can make houses fit any space you want. The best powerplant you can build is the zero-point plant.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Theyknownofear

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 09:13:00 am »
If you make a floating will wright head, it will start telling you the secrets of Maxis's success.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 01:59:11 pm »
Can't really avoid the lies.
I remember when Final Fantasy VII had just come out and I didn't have it just yet. I had seen some other people play it a little bit.
This was in about grade 7 or so. This guy in my shop class tells me, "You know, if you name Tifa "Biggins" her boobs grow a little bit every level."

Just thought I'd share that.

But again, you can't avoid the lying. Nobodies who think they can somehow make a name for themselves (while also hiding behind internet anonymity, making their efforts meaningless) as well as bored losers who make crap up off the top of their heads, and even more malicious ones who want to spread bad word about it because of some (always) completely stupid reason. Should have seen the morons that came on the Fable forums back in the day.
There's also a few folks who will try to spread good word about a game by making up a bunch of other things, or confirming facts that are officially unconfirmed, clarifying misunderstood information...

I'm not worried at this point.
But you make damn sure you know what's true and who it's from. If "Joe Nobody" comes on the forum and starts confirming a whole crap load of stuff that most members of -this- community didn't know about, be sure to send him on his way.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Theyknownofear

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 04:56:38 pm »
Well I can't get onto that page, can somebody quote it?

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 05:01:26 pm »
It's nothing too big, but I could see how it would raise concern.
It sounds like BS to me.

I play SC4, TS2, A Demo Of Spore (You can e-mail Maxis for one, they cost 90 yen), Okiba Strike, Godzilla-Tokyo SOS (REALLY hard game!), Animal Crossing (It's too fun, I can't help myself), The Sims PSP, and World Tour (A 3D tour program, let's you tour 3D cities that are COMPLETELY accurate!). That's about all I play.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 07:27:46 pm »
I think someone who is not me should email maxis to see if this is true.  I'm saying this because posting here requires slightly less effort than just emailing them myself.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 08:41:58 pm »
I just sent them an email right before reading your post. I couldn't find a maxis support email address, so I just made it up. support@maxis.com good enough?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Glubags

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Pay no attention to my avatar.
    • View Profile
    • MySpace BS
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 08:50:52 pm »
"They cost 90 yen."

LMAO

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 08:55:13 pm »
I looked it up and 90 yen is a little over $0.81 USD

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Glubags

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • MySpace BS
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 08:57:06 pm »
Exactly.  To get a very basic ballpark figure, simply take any yen amount and divide it by 100 for the USD equivalent.  The exchange rate has been around that point for a while now, and it probably won't change soon.

90 yen... lmfao.

Edit: And more to the point, why the hell would Maxis deal in yen in the first place?  Classic example of moron "gamer" who thinks everything originates in Japan?  Who knows...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 08:59:52 pm by Glubags »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 12:30:37 pm »
The cousin of this guy I met in a bar works for Maxis and that Maxis is based mainly on a small Island off the coast of Japan. It makes them more resistant to computer crashes and prevents theft of ideas. He also told me that killer bees have developed a true Hive mind and that a swarm is as intelligent as a chess champion.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Glubags

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • MySpace BS
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 04:32:47 pm »
I should've known.  >:(

The next time a swarm of killer bees tries to hustle me in a chess game, I'll be sure to decline.