Author Topic: Alpha Centauri: Everyone hates Miriam  (Read 14105 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Alpha Centauri: Everyone hates Miriam
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:58:18 am »
I searched for a thread specifically about the game and couldn't find one, albeit seeing several mentions of the game across various sections of the forum. So um... here it is.

Incase you're wondering what Alpha Centauri is, think of it as Civilisation with a futuristic flavor to it. It's made by the same developer after all. So the story goes, Earth is more or less buggered due to crime, war, famine, and so forth, so the UN clobbers together and builds the UNS Unity, fills it full of a whole bunch of frozen people, and fires it off on it's merry way towards the only other planet they know of which could potentially support life - Chiron, in the Alpha Centauri system. When they're nearly there towards the very end of the 40-year voyage, suprise suprise it all goes a bit pete tong. A meteor smacks into the unity and screws up the fusion reactor, causing the ship to get locked onto a lethal crash course with the planet. The captain of the mission is assassinated, causing the various groups on board to fragment into their own visions and ideologies for how to go about on planet, and how to rebuild humanity. They each escape thanks to seven escape pods, make their way down to the surface and found their countries, hence beginning the game.

So what is the game? Basically, it's good ol turn-based Civ. Come on, you've played one Civ game and you've played them all, really.
But for a more indepth explanation of the basics (oxymoron?), you found bases, harvest the three resources of nutrients to keep your populace alive and growing, minerals to build stuff and energy to power your scientific research, economy, and people's quality of life. You have to manage the bases' harvesting and populace so they don't cause too much damage to the environment, or the people don't turn into malcontent, uneducated "Drones" and cause a riot. Remember citizen, happiness is mandatory. You can build facilities in your base to accomplish a variety of different things, from making the citizens happier to adding defenses to your base.

Of course, it's not Sim City - there's other factions lurking about, and some of them are on quite a short fuse temper-wise. In the case of war, please press the big red button you'll have to build yourself an army to defend yourself. The game has a Design Workshop where you can clobber together units of your own design, should you choose to - by default the computer designs them for you but it seldom knows what it's doing. Units are comprised of six parts - chassis, weapon, armour, reactor, and two special abilities. As your scientific research becomes more and more advanced, more advanced bits and pieces become available to you. Not all units are for military applications though - you can get various other things like Colony Pods for starting new bases, Terraformers for farming and exploiting the land's resources, Supply Crawlers for.. um.. supplying your bases, transport units for ferrying stuff around, you get the picture.

Back to the other factions lurking around. The factions are based off differing ideologies, so it's only natural some might get a bit tetchy with you for being who you are. For instance, Lal from the Peacekeepers (the UN, a democratic state) will generally always not be too pleased with Yang's Hive (1984 on steroids). This is further compounded by actually being able to select your faction's path politically when  you get the right tech. For instance, becoming a police state will increase your people's Morale making them better fighters as well as increase your support rating (how many units you can have at a base at one time), but your Efficiency (the amount of wasted resource avoided) will fall. Plus, any freedom-loving factions won't be too happy with you. There are three choices per category, the categories being your Politics, Economy, Society Values, and Future Society.

That's more or less all of the game's basics covered, loosely. If anyone's interested they can ask anyway.

So what prompted me to make this thread is I basically dug the game up again lately and have been trying out the multiplayer mode, as well as making my own custom factions. Oh yeah, the game is very customisable (it all runs off clearly annotated .txt files) and moddable. It's very easy to add new content or change the existing content, or even the way the game's rules. The game itself is actually fairly difficult to find these days having been released in 1999 and the licensing to distribute being under EA's control. The game also had an expansion known as Alien Crossfire, which supposedly is incredibly rare to find because it only had one print run and thus far hasn't been re-released.

If you're running on Windows XP, you'll need to do a little tweaking to get the game to run, but it WILL run so don't be too nonplussed.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Centauri: Everyone hates Miriam
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:24:17 am »
Alpha Centauri is in a word, amazing.  It takes everything I love about Civilization II and enhances it with some much needed features (National Borders being the big main one).  I still prefer Civilization II over Alpha Centuari because of Civ II's setting, but regardless, it's an amazing game.  Definitly worth a try. 

Btw, Alien Crossfire can't exactly be bought anymore, there's only one copy that shows up on ebay and it's going for 86 dollars.  Home of the Underdogs has a working version of it, though.  Considering you can't buy it, I would imagine it's not pirating the game to get it from there. 

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:30:55 am »
I've never played it. But its one of those games which I hope to get round to finding/playing. Some day.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:54:20 pm »
Alpha Centauri was an amazing game. I remember I created a myconoid race, and used it in multiplayer play. I was reluctant to get the expansion when it came out, but once I tried it, I was further blown away. It took an already great game to all new levels.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:15:57 am »
Crossfire did improve the game, but I found that turning the premise from humanity's struggle to stop being ruinous eejits to "ocrap aliens are here" was a bit.. well, daft. At least the aliens were alright, not too cliche or anything.

I'd love to mod the game further than just adding new factions and I have a few ideas on how to do it, but it's making it fit that'd be awkward. Me and Uroboros have been playing multiplayer games of it lately and burning up waaaay too much time (I think the game we actually got finished was something like 12 hours total playtime, over two 6-hour sessions =s), hence I created this topic to see who else may be interested in playing/creating stuff.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:46:28 am »
All I have to say on the matter is :
Luminar + The Weather Paradigm + Crater/Mountain = You've already lost.

He pretty much singlehandedly conquered the entire last game just out of mass energy output turned research. Breakthroughs every 3-ish turns.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 09:53:51 am »
I played Gaia most of the time. Worked on getting my effciancy as high as i could. Expanded fast. Focused a lot on worm capturing. Played without pods to make it a little harder for my self. I always had the goal to build all the wonders. Cool game
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:32:33 pm »
I played Gaia most of the time. Worked on getting my effciancy as high as i could. Expanded fast. Focused a lot on worm capturing. Played without pods to make it a little harder for my self. I always had the goal to build all the wonders. Cool game

Building all the secret projects is fairly easy... but it WILL backfire on you in the late game. Singularity Inductor + Bulk Matter Transmitter = The surface of the entire planet turns into spaghetti due to the sheer number of pissed off worms coming to brutally ream everything you own.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:46:59 pm »
Why i like Gaia. They Become stronger form worm attacks. And a simple police unit will often handle any worm attack.

(Also i am close to there ideology in real life.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »
I've been meaning to try this out but, copies are hard to come by.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:56:39 pm »
I hated the red fungi and the worms!  I HATED THEM!
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 01:59:03 pm »

Cha Dawn does not approve.
Of course, being a version of Miriam who's had FAR too much LSD, he wouldn't.

Also, if you think worms are bad you havent tangled with Spore Launchers.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 02:21:15 pm »
Bah, screw those eco friendly hill billies. J/K.
I always liked to see just how much of the planet I could terraform. Spread around the trees, and destroy the fungus.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 02:54:45 pm »

I love the fungi and the worms! LOVE THEM! heck my hole economy was based on fungi farming and worm capturing.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 07:37:49 pm »
I would play, anyone up for a game Friday?

I haven't played it yet but I am getting it, looking at it on wikipedia i think  I like Gaia and UoP the most.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:53:30 pm by Flamester_ »
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.