Author Topic: THE GACUUN ARE HERE...  (Read 12001 times)

Offline Athalis

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • Here come the Gacuun...
    • View Profile
    • The Revenging Angels
THE GACUUN ARE HERE...
« on: October 21, 2007, 03:13:41 pm »
The Gacuun
I am in the process of writing a book type of thing all about my creature, but because of my hectic schedule it is slow progress.
As such, i will drip-feed you little bits of information on it (much like Will Wright himself!) in here and in the RP area.

But now,
I present to you my first race of creatures:

Dar (Male)

The Males of the species are roughly a metre and a half tall, and have bulging muscular forearms designed for hunting and basic functioning. They have a row of tiny spines that serve little purpose, except an aesthetic one; many Hadar (females) pick the dar with the sharpest spines. All Gacuun have two eyes on stalks, which are highly moveable and as such make them very observant creatures.
(The word for male has no capital letter, as according to popular Xeelac beliefs, Women are superior. More on this later. It only has a capital letter at the starts of sentences.)

Dar have a longer spiked tooth also, as they are traditionally intended to rip up chunks of meat and vegetation for the Hadar. Their beaks are also much more curved, as they are the hunters of the species. They produce a series of squawks to communicate.

The males have a striped colouration, (although this varies in different geographical areas. For instance, those from the plains of Eena have a mostly orange/yellow colouration.) and the number of stripes on it's beak indicates it's age. Each stripe indicates 5 years, so we can see that this specimen is 35 years of age.

Dar

Hadar (female)

Hadar are slightly smaller than dar, and have no arms. They do instead have (crudely drawn :P) brightly coloured wings, which can be up to 2 metres in length. They are not functional, although it has been rumoured some of the old ones from the Islands in the South have achieved basic flight. However, they have much power in their beaks and bites, and are treated as goddesses by all followers of Xeela.

They produce a squawking sound to communicate, and this is much higher than that of a dar.

Hadar have a pink complexion, but neither of the sexes have feathers. They also have striped blue and black wings. (Again, colouration varies between races.)

Tak'yar Nuulan: Their world...

Their planet and satellites (crudely drawn once more)

The orbit of the satellites (drawn even worse- oh my god, i need photoshop...)

I have much more to say on the Gacuun, and will post up tomorrow when I am refreshed  :P

Tomorrow..... more on the moons and some history.....

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
Re: THE GACUUN ARE HERE...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:13:45 pm »
Neat!  :)

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 05:48:54 pm »
Too soon for fanart? I think not!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:44:31 pm »
Those of you who know me best know I don't visit this forum section often.
No reason other than that it doesn't really interest me.
But tonight, I could not resist for some reason.
O what has become of me...

Aaanyways, here y'are, Athalis. I know you didn't ask; I just felt like doing it.

(didn't color it, so I left the stripes out)
Maybe took a couple of artistic liberties here and there.. eh.

But yeah. Enjoy.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:15:14 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 11:17:41 pm »
This could get interesting.

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 09:40:43 am »
Very good, I like the differences between the two genders  :D

Offline Athalis

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • The Revenging Angels
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 10:13:32 am »
Too soon for fanart? I think not!

Definitely not too soon :D And if you don't mind, i'll steal that image and claim it as my own ;)

Those of you who know me best know I don't visit this forum section often.
No reason other than that it doesn't really interest me.
But tonight, I could not resist for some reason.
O what has become of me...

Aaanyways, here y'are, Athalis. I know you didn't ask; I just felt like doing it.

(didn't color it, so I left the stripes out)
Maybe took a couple of artistic liberties here and there.. eh.

But yeah. Enjoy.  ;D

Love it mate :D although I was hoping for it a little more bird-like and a little less humanoid
EDIT: y'know what? scratch that last quote. I actually prefer your design mate lol makes it easier to put clothes and armour etc. on them

but excellent nonetheless thanks guys :D I may steal your picture too :P

Very good, I like the differences between the two genders  :D

and thank you too :D

Offline Athalis

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • The Revenging Angels
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:07:47 pm »
Today..... The Moons and a little history....

Hadar (Celestial beings)b]
We the Gacuun, who reside on the planet of Tak’yar Nuulan, know little, it is said, of what resides beyond our own misty borders. However, with the development of our increasingly efficient orbital craft, we have been able to uncover some of the mysteries of that which surrounds us.

Moons

Monterii Nuulan (1.)

During the great age of Andna II (2.), the first advances into space were mainly those of a military nature. As space combat became evermore rife during the Modom war between the Western militants of Yuuli and those who resisted them (mainly the northern communists of Gach), the first spacecraft was created. It was named Sfarafs after the great goddess of war (according to the Xeela), and helped in no small part win the war for the Bradarb (Yuuli militants). Many battles took place on the moons due to their great tactical  position, and Monterii was one of the first to be captured by either side. The fight to take it lasted for over 18 months, and despite winning the war, Monterii was the only moon captured by the Bradarb.
1.) Nuulan means “rock” in Gacuunian.
2.) This is the second period of “Ancient History”, called thus to symbolise the start and end of the Modom war.

Vantas Nuulan I, IV (3.)
The four moons named after the great leader Vantas Luba of the Nikin (Eastern Aristocracy) were of great significance during the Modom war, as these moons provided refuge for thousands of citizens from many countries, and still do today.
3.) Vantas Nuulan III was destroyed during the war. As the Nikin looked set to hold power over all four great moons, the Bradarb took decisive action and destroyed the moon using the awesome power of Sfarafs’ weapons.  Vantas IV was partly destroyed also, and it is on this moon that the Faraf coalition has its headquarters, as a symbol of the reuniting forces that waged war many years ago.

Vantas II
This is basically a lump of ice and rock, and holds the remains of an abandoned Nikin listening outpost. (4.)
4.) This is the outpost that discovered the information needed to write Nuusuun.

Dunseii
Dunseii is technically an organic matter, and it is not known from where it has come from. It harbours a vicious race known only as Zeqez, or “Race of Death” (5.). During the vicious fighting over the moons orbiting Tak’yar Nuulan, the Bradarb landed on Dunseii looking to establish a foothold against the Nikin’s strong hold over the other moons. During the first month of holding the moon, they managed to establish a temporary military base, and had sent scouting parties out across the moon, exploring over an eighth of the 20,000 km moon (diameter)(6.). However, during this critical period, of the 350 parties sent out to establish certain outposts needed to control the moon, only 68 squads returned. The few that did spoke of an unspeakable evil that had killed men in front of their eyes. One eyewitness quote described the situation thus;
   “It was taller than three Dar (men), and yet screamed like a Hadar (women/celestial beings) (7.). It was covered in hair, much like the Opo (small mammals much like a dog), and striped in colouration with blue and green. It had four luul (arms), with two of them huge and… used to support its massive body, with the other two clearly used to hold… a weapon of some sort.
They destroyed Alpha 436 squad and… ripped them piece from piece. Never have I seen such carnage. Some of them [the beasts] took my comrades and stole them away into the darkness of the jungle. We tried to stop them, but mere bullets did nothing. They flung us aside like dolls, and when we came to they were gone. We camped in the tree-tops that night, and listened to the screams of the men echo through the still night, as the distant light from Vantas I proved little comfort. Four of my troop killed themselves that night, lest they face such pain.
We [the rest of the troop] moved non-stop through the morning mist back to Ilonunoli (H.Q.), where our six highest ranking officers [of the remaining troop] were sentenced to death for abandoning their post, and the rest of us [20 soldiers by now] were imprisoned. We managed to escape, stole a cargo ship and defected, seeking refuge on Vantas I (8.).”

5.) The presence of “Z” and Q” indicate death or evil, but in the presence of M, T, or R, it means nature/natural. “Z”, “Q”, and “S” together (any combination of vowels) means destruction. Zeqslolsqez mean apocalypse. This is by no means the easiest translation, but after the massacre at Ligil it is treated with great reverence, and uttered in hushed tones.
6.) Roughly half the size of planet Earth.
7.) The word for Women means the same as “Celestial bodies”, and “The Heavens”. This is because Women are held in such high repute by the Gacuun. The teachings of the Xeela religion, in which there are no Gods, only Goddesses, say women are above men, and as Xeela is the dominant religion, women are highly revered. However, Men still rule over women, but they are protected to the full extent of the law. Women are not allowed to join the army or vote, in fear that they will cause themselves harm in some way, either through direct combat, or by voting for someone who would discriminate against women. Should any women commit a crime, she will not be punished in any way (see Laws and Rights)
8.) Major. Nefen Lepel went on to receive the Kuluk medal of honour for his books on Dunseii and the Zeqez and the massacre of Ligil, and contributed to writing Nuusuun.

Tomorrow (or possibly some other time this week cos i'm busy)......... Geography, a little Culture and some more History....

Hope you're enjoying it :D

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:43 pm »
Wow, lots of information.
Very good  :D

Offline Athalis

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • The Revenging Angels
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 02:37:37 pm »
Cheers  ;D
And thanks to Gauphastus' creature interpretation, I have made these two derivations:
Gacuun Marine: Probably used during the Modom war, especially on the moons. (That is supposed to be some sort of helmet on his head lol)

Gacuun Islander: These dar would live primarily in the cold Islands of Smoke to the South, where they are rumoured to practice sorcery...

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 03:27:26 pm »
nice job!

i like the idea of the moon that crashed (or so i think it did) into the planet ;)

keep it up and this could get pretty good
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 04:17:39 pm »
Cool race! I remember the days I updated that much, keep that up!

I personally prefer the birdish body form by the way.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 06:44:35 pm »
I guess for some reason, the 'bird' part didn't quite click in my mind while I was drawing it (beaks? wings? ... whoops.); so it looks as though I ended up going a sort of... reptilian-humanoid route.  :D

Ah well. As long as it helps you in some way, babe.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:46:12 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Infernal

• Battlezone Captain
  • In Counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 06:52:26 pm »
very interesting bud, id like to see these more

and you get all this fanart and you don't even ask.. I keep requesting and have only gotten one response to draw it XD  and Im still waiting on that...

Fan Art Whore *Cough*

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 07:24:45 pm »
Nice!

Very original.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.