Author Topic: Aurix: Somarinoa's Main Creation  (Read 18099 times)

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
Re: Aurix: Somarinoa's Main Creation
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2008, 06:59:17 am »
Great creature, love its crazy eyes, nice attention to anatomy, and the info is laid out and written well.

Full points!.  :D

Offline ARCosta

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2008, 11:54:12 am »
I would like to see a prettier drawing in a different position (yeah i'm kinda shallow sometimes), not that i don't like those, they're actually pretty good for the programs you used. (I wish i could do stuff like that. 'Been drawing lots of stuff [on paper] to create my 1st planet, but... but, i kinda suck at GIMP :-X)

Keep up the excellent work because i want to see more  ;D
Green grin

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 11:25:30 am »
I would like to see a prettier drawing in a different position (yeah i'm kinda shallow sometimes), not that i don't like those, they're actually pretty good for the programs you used. (I wish i could do stuff like that. 'Been drawing lots of stuff [on paper] to create my 1st planet, but... but, i kinda suck at GIMP :-X)

Keep up the excellent work because i want to see more  ;D

I'll try to appease you here soon. :)
Until then...finally, an update!

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 12:45:03 pm »
This update entails the food web of the local biomes where the Aurix can be found. Note that only known species are listed here (the Aurix ARE first and foremost a game, and I don't want to give TOO much away to my players, y'know?). The species on the left side of the list live in the Catapult Tree Forest, while the ones on the right exist in Deep Mangrove.

Oh, and here, have a color key for the chart:
Red: Carnivorous Diet (Fauna)
Dark Red: Hemophagous Diet (Blood)
Green: Herbivorous Diet (Flora)
Yellow: Autotrophic Diet (Sunlight)
Fuchsia: Mineral Diet (Random Minerals)
Gray: Metallic Diet (Metallic Minerals in Soil)

(Thumbnail for Full-Sized Version)

CATAPULT FOREST ORGANISMS
The Catapult Forest is a tropical forest situated near the southern coast of the Zeeon continent, made up mostly of xenosurin, including the Catapult Tree which originates from the Zorgen continent. It surrounds much of the Deep Mangrove, and is where the Aurix do their actual hunting.

Chlorolomba
Designation: Micro Producer
Diet: Solar Energy
Predators: None known

Screek
Designation: Macro Consumer Stage 1
Diet: Blood from unknown hosts
Predators: Spinster

Vrennum
Diet: Blood from any susceptible creatures

Spinster
Designation: Macro Consumer Stage 2
Diet: Screek, Neomwa

Aurix
Diet: Rockscale, Rockscuttler, Whipscale, Grendon, Quirlax
Predators: Neomwa, Gargantua Ray, Aurosuchus

Aurosuchus
Designation: Macro Consumer Stage 3
Diet: Aurix, Meat from other large animals

DEEP MANGROVE ORGANISMS
The Deep Mangrove is a huge wetland biome with ill-defined edges with one of the surrounding biomes, the Catapult Forest. It is often cited that the Catapult Tree Forest integrates completely into the Deep Mangrove, although a number of xenosurin species can only be found in the mangrove's brackish, green-tinted waters. The edges are quite shallow, although after a few hundred feet out, the ground slopes to a dark 300ft depth.

Catapult Tree
Designation: Macro Producer
Diet: Solar Energy, Metallic Minerals, Meat of medium-sized fauna

Rockscale
Diet: Solar Energy, Minerals
Predators: Clawgrip, Skullbeak, Aurix

Rockscuttler
Diet: Solar Energy, Minerals

Whipscale
Diet: Solar Energy, Minerals, Meat from small-sized fauna

Clawgrip
Diet: Rockscales, Rockscuttlers, Whipscales, Meat from small-sized fauna

Skullbeak
Diet: Rockscales, Rockscuttlers, Whipscales

Quirlax
Diet: Flora
Predators: Grendon, Aurix, Gargantua Ray

Grendon
Diet: Blood of Quirlaxi
Predators: Aurix, Gargantua Ray

Neomwa
Diet: Aurix meat (exclusive, but will feed on other meat if absolutely required)
Predators: Spinster

Gargantua Ray
Diet: Grendon, Aurix, Quirlax

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2008, 07:37:36 am »
It's cool to see you were influenced by Sagan4 as well in making your creature's biome.

Anyway very cool!

Offline MasterMagician

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2008, 07:56:30 am »
Anything specific you guys want to hear about next? Keeping in mind of course that they are not sapient so things like "written language" do not exist.

I don't feel like bothering whoever I need to bother to open up a poll right now.

An archive would be nice the website seems to be unupdated.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2008, 12:58:50 pm »
very cool indeed
Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2009, 09:44:28 pm »
So, what bugs me is that the ecological niche image was apparently removed from Imageshack and I do not have access to the external harddrive that it is on...at least currently (it refuses to read now). So I can't just re-upload it. Which is too bad cuz I was going to start using it for more stuff.

Anyway, I'ma come up with something here to post. I know it's been a ridiculous amount of time, but I haven't had much computer access for the last 6 months, due to moving. So...expect something.

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 09:46:58 am »
It's been too long since I posted in this. Alright. Decided I might as well update with some information on their species.  I couldn't think of anything to draw for this so I will include the only image I've ever done (up to this point at least) of an Aurix from the front.

===Biological Anatomy===
Is the race unicellular or multicellular?: They are a multicellular species.
How does the race breathe?: Aurix utilize a pair of organs that are analogous with lungs for breathing oxygen-rich atmosphere, but also possess feathery gills that allow them to extract the oxygen molecules from submerged habitats.
What is the circulatory system like?: To be announced
What/How does the race eat?: While Aurix have no sense of taste, they feed on specifically three species in their local environment.  In order of most predated upon to least often, these are the Grendon, Quirlax, and Rockscales.
How does the race grow/mature?: Aurix go through an incomplete metamorphosis, and therefore stay the same in general physiology from hatching to adulthood.
How do they reproduce?: To be announced
Are they warm or cold-blooded?: While technically cold-blooded, the Aurix have enough body mass to allow their inner core to remain warm, thereby heating up their blood for them by having it pass through this area.
What kind of symmetry does this race possess?: Bilateral symmetry
Where are their sense organs located?: Aurix have several senses, all of which are located around the head.
How are bodily wastes eliminated?: They are worked through the simple digestion system towards the cloaca.
From where are they eliminated?: It is excreted from the cloaca near the posterior of their body.
What is the body cavity like? Are the organs specialized/highly developed?: For their size, Aurix have a shockingly simple organ setup.  It mainly consists of a pair of lungs, a heart, a stomach, a vestigial blood processing organ, and an intestine.  The tail is filled with electroplaque organs.
What kind of structural support does the race have?: Aurix utilize a calcium bone structure to support their weight.
How does your race move? Does it move?: Generally, an Aurix will move about on its two powerful legs, balanced by the tail curled overhead and the muscular tentacles extending out front.  However, they will also swim with weak kicks, aided somewhat by a water jet left over from an age long ago when they were fully aquatic organisms.
How does it grip things?: Of the two pairs of tentacle-arms the Aurix possess, the first, primary set have their end split into four separate "mini-tentacles", called the split tentacles.  These are used to manipulate objects.
Does it have opposable thumbs? Or prehensile tails or limbs like an elephant or octopus?: Instead of opposable thumbs, an Aurix utilizes its eight prehensile split tentacles.
From where did the race’s "hands" develop?: The Aurix have possessed their tentacles for nearly their entire evolutionary existence.  They have existed, in one form or another, since their great microscopic ancestors, the cnidomecia.
What kind of opposable thumb do they have?: None.
Could the hands have evolved from something other than the forefeet?: The tentacles were never forelimbs, per se; however, they have always been used for manipulation, albeit at varying levels of usefulness.
What is the nervous system like?: The nervous system of an Aurix is relatively simple and primitive.  It consists primarily of a large brain housed within the skull, connected to the spinal column that protects the main nerve bundle and supports the body.  From here, nerves crisscross the body to allow for minimal sensory input.
Does the race have a central nervous system?: Yes, as stated above.
Is the race intelligent?: They are quite cunning and clever, but are not quite past the verge of what one would regularly consider sapience.  They are, however, semi-sapient and are nearing the threshold into the ever sought-after sapient category.
Do they operate on instinct alone?: Not any longer; they have brains that can think and calculate well enough to allow them to bring "war" to a visiting extravuurestrial race.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 09:53:38 pm »
I just realized how much weirder these guys are.

Sweet to know this thread got updated again,btw! :)