Author Topic: Aurix: Somarinoa's Main Creation  (Read 18103 times)

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
Re: Aurix: Somarinoa's Main Creation
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:46 pm »
Nice update! The different organs are very cool.

As for the next update, I am thinking of working on a skeletal diagram.

Sounds good.  8)

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 03:51:34 am »
Neat! Do more!

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 07:14:02 am »
Neat! Do more!
Once Generation 100 finishes with Sagan 4, actually, I plan on doing the next update. 8)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 04:22:58 pm »
Excellent! ;) I'll be waiting then...

Great senses by the way.

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 03:40:45 am »
Why thank you! ;D
Shouldn't be too long, now...we only have five creature spots left to fill, unless one of the current submissions drops out or something.

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
Aurix: Skeletal Structure
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 05:38:46 pm »
Like their Earthen vertebrate counterparts, the tentacleiosaurs - including the Aurix itself - possess calcium bone structures to support their weight. Below I will discuss some of the more important details of this skeletal structure, and how it aids the Aurixan way of life.

OFFENSIVE ADAPTATIONS
Bonestinger/Bonescythe: The name for this weapon is commonly interchanged, depending on which xenobiologist or entity is discussing it. Either way, however, it is an Aurum's main line of offense.
Death Petal: The mouth. Used both to cause large areas of damage as well as to eat.
Hunting Claws: Often used to rake at foes, they are mostly used in conjunction with the Killing Claws. However, they may also be used to try to hold prey while they bring their bonestingers down. The bones are suspended in heavy muscles, which control the movement almost as well as bony arm bones would.
Killing Claws: The speed at which Aurix can run as well as their heavily-muscled legs allow them to pounce up to 6 feet into the air. Depending on their foe and its size, they may do this to slice into the victim with their dangerously sharp killing claws. It is also used to slit the throats of downed prey to quickly finish them.

AWARENESS ADAPTATIONS
Nasal Cavity: The huge cavity for the nostrils is in fact intended to more quickly pass air to the lungs as opposed to increasing the abilities of olfactory; olfactory is instead passed on to the clubbed antennae on the "cheeks" of the Aurix.
Antennae Socket: Small cavities in the ventral side of the skull lead to the brain, and are connected on the outside to the clubbed antennae.
Eye Sockets: Oddly, like the Hunting Claws, the eye sockets are not officially connected to the body, and are instead attached directly to the top of the muscled eyestalks. These eye sockets possess a superficially similar look to egg cups, and are in fact used by some sapient races as fancy ones, which may be attached to the dehydrated eye stalk. This practice is frowned upon by conservationists and is considered poaching.
Nerve Cavity: Since the eye socket sits so high atop the skull, a secondary opening has evolved to allow the nerve cords to pass to the brain for their sight to work properly.
Gill Socket: Doubling as the area where their tympanic ears are located, these were originally intended as the areas that the gills pulled back into when not in use to prevent permanent damage.

VESTIGIAL ADAPTATIONS
Pelvic Fins/Anal Fins: Vestigial evolutions, these are far too small to properly work anymore, and yet have not atrophied. This likely is do to them still attempting to control direction while swimming.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 06:30:25 pm »
The floating bones are quite interesting (Imagine a squid with claws). And I like the way they have bones for their eyes, that gives them a lot of protection.

Nice skeleton, all in all. ;)

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 06:49:25 pm »
Why thank you! ;D
I just really started using GIMP for my coloring recently, and with only a few projects under my belt, my coloring I think has significantly improved (the other two drawings in this topic were not colored with it, and were instead done in MSPaint, my regular medium.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 07:18:16 pm »
Very neat. Original, but still believable.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 06:35:59 am »
Very nice skeleton  :)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »
I like the Eye sockets :)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 04:39:07 pm »
Wait how did it developed bones that were not connected to the rest of the body? Is that even possible?  :o

Offline Somarinoa

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Vuunega Forums
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 12:22:38 am »
Because they're not built out of the former notochord.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 04:02:26 am »
Awesome.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline KingAcer

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 04:53:52 am »
Wait how did it developed bones that were not connected to the rest of the body? Is that even possible?  :o
I believe some earth animals have that too. Can't think off one right now though  :P