Author Topic: Halo, Bioshock... Bioshock, Halo  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Halo, Bioshock... Bioshock, Halo
« on: October 09, 2007, 06:42:30 am »
In response to recent discussions about each game having tended toward comparisons to the other, and with both clearly direct competitors for the title of best FPS of the year, a thread like this was inevitable.

This is exactly the sort of thread which usually degenerates into mush, so would you kindly be civil and avoid falling into the traps of being a belligerrent fanboy and immediately discounting everything someone says out of hand if they don't agree with you.

To me it looks as though these two games, while both are FPSs, are pretty much opposite sides of a coin.
Halo is bright and futuristic, has a simple story of good guys vs badguys (Yes, a simple story. Convoluted and full of backstory though it may be, it still boils down to Us VS Them.) and is apparently made for multiplayer.
Bioshock is dark and retro, has a quite complex story in which there are no clear heroes (well, except in the crappy binary endings someone shoehorned in) and has no multiplayer to speak of.

I'm sure you all know by now that I favour Bioshock, but I'm not trying to say Halo sucks, or that it isn't a perfectly adequate game, but in my eyes thats all it is, adequate.

Now let the discussion begin. Wake me when you need me.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
Re: Halo, Bioshock... Bioshock, Halo
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:49:36 am »
I've not played Bioshock as of yet, but I intend to get it eventually, looks neat. I liked Halo 3, good game play, and I loved the levels on the ark. But I think the original Half-Life does, and will continue to absolutely own. Was a great game deserving of it's title of "Best game of the year" (maybe even greatest ever (as it is occaisionally labeled). I can't help but feel while Half-Life 2 was absolutely great...it was missing that certain Half-Lifey feel.

When I've played Bioshock I'll let you know what I think...is it scary?

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 06:57:12 am »
Ive been thinking of buying a new 360 game, and both Halo 3 and BioShock has caught my interest, but Im not sure witch one I'll buy, If any of em. Ill wait till one of the games stands out, maybe this thread will make me decide.
@davidramnero

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 06:58:04 am »
I've not played Bioshock as of yet, but I intend to get it eventually, looks neat. I liked Halo 3, good game play, and I loved the levels on the ark. But I think the original Half-Life does, and will continue to absolutely own. Was a great game deserving of it's title of "Best game of the year" (maybe even greatest ever (as it is occaisionally labeled). I can't help but feel while Half-Life 2 was absolutely great...it was missing that certain Half-Lifey feel.

When I've played Bioshock I'll let you know what I think...is it scary?

I've heard people say it is, and I can understand why they might say that, but I personally wasn't too bothered by it.
Please stay on topic though, the title isn't Bioshock, Halo, Half-life...

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 07:00:06 am »
Ive been thinking of buying a new 360 game, and both Halo 3 and BioShock has caught my interest, but Im not sure witch one I'll buy, If any of em. Ill wait till one of the games stands out, maybe this thread will make me decide.

If you've played, and preferably completed the other 2 Halo games, then I think it would be wise to finish the fight.

Yeah, I was just stating I like Half-Life so you know I'm more of a neutral party that way ;) (although at the moment I'm more biased to Halo).

Sometimes it's funny when you get scared, you think "That was stupid, that's not scary...and it's only a game!".

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:03:08 am »
I have played Halo 1 and 2, but I think both of them are overrated...
@davidramnero

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:01 am »
I have played Halo 1 and 2, but I think both of them are overrated...

Why'd you play the second then? :P

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 07:12:05 am »
Because I was a kid and when a friend told me about it it sounded awesome. "you can liek jump on other veichles while they are driving and throw of the driva!! oMGzz!!" You could, but it sounded cooler then it was.
@davidramnero

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 08:30:47 am »
While I personally prefer BioShock, Halo does have some very big advantages, namely, fantastic multiplayer modes, while BioShock on the other hand doesn't have any.

BioShock however has things like multiple endings, one good and one evil, and is far less linear. Overall I think BioShock singleplayer>Halo singleplayer, but like I mentioned before, the multiplayer gives Halo a big advantage.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 10:03:12 am »
I think both could be unseated by Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Supposedly it is amazing.

Also, since you put in a request to be awakened, Sam, would you kindly go post in the RP? :)

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 11:35:53 am »
I have Bioshock, and i finished it in two days(I didn't play all day, mind you.)
While i was in Dublin during the holidays, i went to some gameshop and watched a dude play Halo 3. It seemed fun... i don't know, he died alot. Prolly because he was on a hard difficulty, dunno.

Bioshock is fun, but not extreely fun. People have been giving it a 9/10 or even 10/10.
I beg to differ... It is not nearly as fun or addictive as Oblivion was, i could play it any day. But when a game cant keep me playing it for hours and hours, like oblivion, i don't think it such a good investment. Bio can keep me playing for like, one or two(if i really want) but, oblivion could keep me entertained all day.

I haven't played halo 3, but it looked fun. Also it would be fun to "finish the fight", as every single games' site is raving on about.   ::)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:34:42 pm »
I bought both at the same time and i love both. I would rate both a 9.5 but personally i like halo 3 better.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 09:14:58 pm »
While I personally prefer BioShock, Halo does have some very big advantages, namely, fantastic multiplayer modes, while BioShock on the other hand doesn't have any.

BioShock however has things like multiple endings, one good and one evil, and is far less linear.

well, technically Hallo 3 does have multiple ending/variant throughout the game, but that just depends what difficulty you play. so I guess your right anyway in this case. I have considered getting bioshock, but its been said it involves fairly disturbing ideas, and it has a higher level of aparent blood and gore. I dont find it respectable to have blood everywere. and you cant say halo has a huge amount of gore. the only graphic blood comes in a tiny spurt at the death of a human. much less exessive.
in Halo, your the hero! good guys should win. I know people say the good guys always win and its boring when the good guys always win. but if the bad guys win, whats the point? thats why GTA suck too.

Master chief FTW!
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 04:35:02 am »
In Bioshock you define whether you're a good guy or a bad guy. You aren't forced into being evil.

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 10:15:54 am »
I have played both, and think both games are great. Halo 3 improves the Halo 2 formula, but isn't truly innovating. Bioshock has an excellent story and the atmosphere is one of the most realistic I've experienced to date.