Author Topic: Progeny  (Read 47995 times)

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
Re: Progeny
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2008, 10:08:59 am »
Dustspore
Creator:
DragonSage
Genes: Water Storage x1, Fungal Consumption x1, Spore Reproduction x1
Description: A tiny, prolific little organism that feeds off of the remains of any dead or dying thing on land.  Its dust-like spores, large enough to see with the naked eye with a careful glance, are its namesake and key to survival.  By spreading its genes on the wind, offspring are almost guranteed.  When small clusters form, they feed relentlessly on their dying companions.  One way they are readily able to survive the harsh, aboveground conditions is the adaptation of a small sac in the middle of the growth that stores excess water that is slowly used in drought conditions.

That's a really cool creature. Man, I don't think ANYTHING can survive on land anymore.

(But I'll sure as hell try)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:16:54 am by Mae »

Offline DragonSage

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Anabasis: An Evolution Game
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2008, 10:39:40 am »
Must resist urge to make another...organism... Urk... not... resisting well...  *uses this an excuse to not write closing statement for mock trial*

Driftleaves
Creator:
DragonSage
Genes: Photosynthesis x1, Fast Reproduction x1, Clumped Growth x1
Description: The Driftleaves are a sort of algae that drits like an underwater tumbleweed, end over end at the mercy of the current.  The small ball-like organisms grow in moderately large cumps, rotating thier empty sphere colony so no buds go without sunlight for too long.  When two clumps meet, the sex cells mingle easily and a the proverbial seeds of a new colony are sewn.  In reality, the cells begin growing right away, no seeds involved.

Turboslug
Creator:
Dragonsage
Genes: Water Propulsion Jet x1, Plant Eating x1, Gastropodal Movement x1
Description: A small, simple gastropod, the turboslug slowly crawls along the bottom of the sea as it grazes on algae.  When it senses a predator coming at it, it uses a simple pump to dart forward quickly, hopefully avoiding being eaten.  When it isn't busy darting about to avoid being eaten, it uses its stomach to crawl around at a leisurely pace.

Twilight Algae
Creator:
DragonSage
Genes Chemiosythesis x1, Fast Reproduction x1, Bioluminescence x1
Description: A deep ocean dweller, the twilight algae isn't really an algae, but a large group of bacteria that clusters together into a unique type of organism.  It synthesizes the chemicals in the ocean depths released by faults and vents into the sugars it needs to survive.  The reactions cause it to emit a faint, eerie blue light that illumiates some of the inky depths.  This simple organism reproduces quickly, as its lifespan isn't too long.
Got time to kill?  Like evolution style games?  Play Progeny and want to do somelthing while waiting for an update?  Check out my own spin on it, Anabasis:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/anabasis/index.php?

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2008, 01:41:46 am »
Scrapersquid
Creator: Haseri
Ancestry: Tubesquid
Genes Added: Kiritin-ends x1, Scraping Tounge x1
Genes Removed: Filter Feeding x1
Total Genes: Claws x1, Scraping Tounge x1, Tentacles x1, Shell x1
Description: Some paticular mutants, with claw-like ends to their tentacles and a rough tounge, found themselves in the sponge shallows. They had no filter feeding, but they found they could eat the sponge, if they first smashed the spounge and caught the debris with their tounges. This was, of course an accidental finding. Their behaviour remained the same, however. They still breed among the Tubesquid every High Sun.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2008, 04:37:36 pm »
Terraslug
Creator: Bagder Man 22
Ancestor: Barrowslug
Genes Added: Air breathing x1, Plant Eating x1
Genes Removed: Detritus Eating x1
Total Genes: Digging Tentacles x1, Plant Eating x1, Legless Crawling x1, Lungs x1
Description: Due to the lack of herbivores on land the barrowslugs decided to take this opportunity and become the missing herbivore. They evolved very primitive lungs and can feed on the fungus on land. As a result of being the only herbivore on land they are the most common thing on land.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:56:13 pm by Bagder Man 22 »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
    • Genesis - Spore Game Forum
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »
I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to not allow that. You can't evolve lungs without some sort of advanced oxygen-straining organ for the water, like gills or something. You also need multiple genes of water retention and some sort of land movement gene.
Quote from: Plank of Wood
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline MinotaurWarrior

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2008, 08:14:28 pm »
Well, could he evolve basic air-'breathing' through osmosis? While I agree lungs are far-fetched (especially in a slug) that should be possible, right? (I'm a biology newbie)

Offline DragonSage

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2008, 05:35:52 pm »
Well, could he evolve basic air-'breathing' through osmosis? While I agree lungs are far-fetched (especially in a slug) that should be possible, right? (I'm a biology newbie)

II don't have the authority to give the final decision on this, but my interpretation of what I'm seeing is this.  Oath wants us to have a relatively advanced internal breathing structure before we can make the jump to lungs.  We need to have something beyond simple diffusion of oxygen through the skin.  For example, we might develop patches of skin that are better at absorbing oxygen, then perhaps where those patches were, we develop simple slits to begin working like gills to push more water through them.  Then after that, we could move on to a more advanced gill, or build up internal structure and go the way of lungs.  Just my interpretation of it, Oath may be able to do a better job of explaining.

And since I'm posting...

Miner Slug
Creator:
DragonSage
Genes: Burrowing Head x1, Gastropodal Movement x1, Plant Digestion x1
Description: A rather simple, dirt-colored slug that slides around along the sea bottom.  It nubbles on the tender bases of the seawood, burrowing under the sands and rocks to get at deeper bits.  It is slow and easy to eat, but is just prolific enough to carve a niche for itself in the ever growing sea-forests.
Got time to kill?  Like evolution style games?  Play Progeny and want to do somelthing while waiting for an update?  Check out my own spin on it, Anabasis:

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2008, 06:10:30 pm »
DSage basically got it right. Although diffusion of oxygen through a porous skin might work, that still won't let you get on land. That will let you breathe in water more efficiently. To get on land, you must be able to hold water in your body with some capability, as well as have some sort of breathing organ. It doesn't necessarily have to be a lung, because we can get much more creative. ;)
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline DragonSage

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2008, 07:26:54 pm »
Oh, you want us to be more creative, eh?  Just you wait, I've been concocting some things that are a stretch even for me, Oath.  :)  You have no idea.  :D

Offline DragonSage

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2008, 08:00:15 pm »
Creativity, ho!  BTW, Oath, did you realize the Pincerfoot had no dietary gene when you made it?  I added it in this time for its forking evolution.

Bloody Branch
Creator:
DragonSage
Ancestor: Red Branch
Genes Added: Spines x1, Sticky Secretion x1, Filter Feeding x1
Total Genes: Filter Feeding x2, Filter Hair x1, Thick Stalk x1, Spines x1, Sticky Secretion x1
Description: The oceans near the colonies of Red Branches began to grow thick with a polysacchiride secretion from the newest members of the Red Branch family.  Due to advanced feeding ability, they were able to gather more nutrients than they needed.  They then excreted these extra nutrients to let it float about them for when they needed it.  In defense of their cloud of syrupy food-stock, the Bloody Branches developed spines covering their body, to detur most save the hungriest organisms.

Siftsponge
Creator:
DragonSage
Ancestor: Filtersponge
Genes Added: Feathery Growths x1, Bulbous Body x1, Bubble-Cloak x1
Total Genes: Filter Feeding x1, Fast Growing x1, Porous Body x1, Feathery Growths x1, Bulbous Body x1, Bubble-Cloak x1
Description: The Filtersponge underwent massive changes during this flourishing era.  It developed a ring of small, feathery growths on its surface-facing side, which gathered nutrients much easier than the rest of its body.  These growths helped gorge the sponges on food, growing them to near-spheres.  As their pores grew more numerous with time, so too did their uses.  A simple chemical was manufactured within the new Siftsponges, which caused the water to be squirted from the pores, leaving a little bubble.  A near-constant updraft of bubbles pores from the Siftsponge, like smoke from a chimney.  By keeping the gradient of water flowing towards it, the Siftsponge ensures it has enough food at all times.

Crusherclaw
Creator:
DragonSage
Ancestor: Pincerfoot
Genes Added: Strong Claw x1, Chitin Shell x1, Carnivorous Eating x1
Total Genes: Pincer Claw x1, Trunk x1, Stabilizing Foot x1, Strong Claw x1, Chitin Shell x1, Carnivorous Eating x1
Descriptoin: A deadly force when on the hunt, the Crusherclaw was merely a Pincerfoot amplified in every way.  Its claw was stronger, its feeding methods more effective, its body was now armored. The thin chitin coat did not protect it from pointed, powerful strikes, but it prevented any injuries that would be accidentally acquired by a thrashing prey item.  Its greater crushing power allowed it to cripple most anything that was unfortunate enough to swim into its path.

Swiftpincer
Creator:
DragonSage
Ancestor: Pincerfoot
Genes Added: Herbivorous Eating x1, Trunk Length x1, Burrowing Appendages x1
Total Genes: Pincer Claw x1, Trunk x1, Stabilizing Foot x1, Herbivorous Eating x1, Trunk Length x1, Burrowing Appendages x1
Description: Veering in a new evolutionary direction, the Swiftpincer specialized in using its longer, more agile trunk and claw to pick off choice bits of plant material to digest.  However, since plants don't move, a pair of small crab-like legs were developed to help it slowly burrow through the loose sands of its home.  The migrating pincers make for an odd show to any onlooker, as they exert all their energy in moving forward, and thusly cannot expend any in keeping their pincers from doing anything but floating free in the current.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2008, 08:11:01 pm »
Wow. It'll be a hell of an update, when I get to it. I can see new biomes forming right now - red seas where it's dangerous to swim in the opaque waters, since you can't see the various spines sticking out everywhere. Blind predatory fish, schooling crustaceans underneath a rooftop of towering crinoids. You are awesome, DSage.

Offline DragonSage

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2008, 08:11:36 pm »
Just out of curiosity, about when can we expect an update?  Couple more weeks?  Month?

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2008, 06:35:16 am »
Geeze, with all your creatures, DS, I'd say 6 months or so.  :P

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2008, 07:12:01 am »
I'm guessing the moment you stop suggesting creatures, lol.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2008, 06:58:43 pm »
My computer is in damned safe mode because of some stupid error, so I can't scan anything over. It'll be a while.