Author Topic: Progeny  (Read 47975 times)

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
Re: Progeny
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:17 pm »
Blanketgulper
Creator: Blitz
Genes: Fins x1, strong gut x1, beak x1
Description: A rather pathetic animal, this thing swims around eating Seawood. It breaks old parts with it's beak off then puts the food through it's long gut. It lacks an anus, so it needs to digest all of it. Too make sure food is digested, the gut loops around.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 09:04:06 am by blitzonator »

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
    • Genesis - Spore Game Forum
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2008, 08:48:32 pm »
Fix up your format a bit more, Blitz. Also, you get THREE genes for a brand new creature.
Quote from: Plank of Wood
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2008, 11:21:51 pm »
Xelos-Former
Creator: MinotaurWarrior
Ancestry: Xelos-Former <- Worldswallower
Genes Added: Poison Production x1, Light Reflection x1, Fixed Pattern x1
Total Genes: Fragmentation x1, Fast Growing x1, Photosynthesis x1, Poison Production x1, Light Reflection x1, Fixed Pattern x1
Description: The Worldswallower had succeeded in it's primary function, to grow until it could grow no more, but it started to reach it's limit far too fast. It's design was inefficient, the surface area to volume ratio was imperfect, and it had no defense against the range of life forms that fed upon it's self. Worldswallower became Xelos-Former, a giant fractal behemoth, shaped a bit like a giant fern, it used trapped mica (and other reflective minerals) to transport light from higher in the ocean down to the ocean floor. Also, Xelos-former started to create large amounts of a poisonous chemical, which helped to kill of competitors and any herbivores that would dare try and eat the Xelos-former.
I'm sorry Mino, but do you think you can do a rough Paint sketch of this? I just tried to draw it, and I'm totally lost. Is it like a blob of green stuff holding up crystal 'shields'? Or is it a giant fractal mass, like a crystal tower?
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2008, 07:49:51 am »
Impressive list, DragonSage. :D I sure do like drawing. It's the colouring that's the harder part...;) All your creatures sound great. I like the fact that you're building up an undersea forest, too. That's interesting.

I must say though, the VACUUMMOUTH line is being sorely neglected by all of you young'uns. Spread the love, people!
My love for the vacuummouths died with the leechmouth.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2008, 12:30:45 pm »
The leechmouth is still very much alive.

Offline MinotaurWarrior

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2008, 03:47:54 pm »
I'm sorry Mino, but do you think you can do a rough Paint sketch of this? I just tried to draw it, and I'm totally lost. Is it like a blob of green stuff holding up crystal 'shields'? Or is it a giant fractal mass, like a crystal tower?

I gladly would If I could, but my computer just died on me and the comp I'm using pretty much has me locked out of everything (it's taken from school). Could you give me a link to an online drawing tool that saves? I just did a drawing of it but the site I used doesn't let non-paying costumers save.

To ease your confusion in the meantime, I meant fractal as in a shape that appears the same at all incremental levels of maginification, like a fern or a spiral. So basically it'd just be a giant sea-fern with some bits of shiny rock lodged in there.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2008, 03:52:47 pm »
The leechmouth is still very much alive.

You've scared me now  :'(
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline tomasgaquino

• Gorf Goon
  • Now that's deadly. *psycho song*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2008, 03:54:56 pm »
Any problems using artPad?
http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/

Offline MinotaurWarrior

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2008, 04:15:51 pm »
Any problems using artPad?
http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/
Thank you, just what I was looking for.

Great, when I ask for the link all it gives me "http://artpad.art.com/?undefined" and I'm assuming that that isn't a link to my picture. WARNING: Uber-crappy ascII art ahead

-|-  -|-  -|-  -|-  -|-  -|-
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Basically, my thing is just a green version of that, but tilted 90 degrees (so it's standing up, not laying on it's side), a bit thicker and with lots of shiny stuff stuck in it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:17:25 pm by MinotaurWarrior »

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2008, 05:27:51 pm »
So it looks like a fern with crystals lodged in it. Ah. I thought it'd be 'fractal' as in it had natural diamond-ish things forming out of it's sides. Thanks.

Offline DragonSage

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Anabasis: An Evolution Game
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2008, 06:39:50 pm »
Had an idea for a new creature in school today.  :D

Rora
Creator:
DragonSage
Genes: Plant Digestion x1, Colored Body x1, Fast Swimming x1
Description: A small, wriggling little thing, the Rora comes in a variety of colors with no real purpose.  Hues of all types meld in their vast schools as the little worms wriggle onward in their continuing search for soft seawood buds to nibble.  Their tiny bodies don't require but a bite every now and then, so no devistation comes to the forests of seawood, but their delicate structure is easily damaged and their fragile bodies can't take a head-on collision with the woody stems.
Got time to kill?  Like evolution style games?  Play Progeny and want to do somelthing while waiting for an update?  Check out my own spin on it, Anabasis:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/anabasis/index.php?

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2008, 09:28:57 am »
Hey! I won an award! Shweet!

Name Studnode
Ancestor:Studnode <- Tubesquid
Creator: Mae
Genes Added: x1 Nutrient-sucking probuscus, x1 solar energy nodes
Genes Lost: Filtration Feeding
Total Genes: x1 flagellated tenticles, x1 calcified shell, x1 nutrient-sucking probuscus, x1 solar energy nodes
Description: As competition grew around the Worldeater plains, the Tubesquid's extremely simple brains asked "Why compete?". The Tubesquids went down towards the Worldswallowers, and the Tubesquids began to feed on the outer skin. Through the years, they slowly evolved pointy proboscis', which they used to pierce the membrane and get to the nutrients beneath. Also, as the Tubesquids thrived, so did the Worldswallowers. They gained the protection of a thousand chitinous shells, and the safety no alternative could guarentee. On the downside, however, this limited their maximum size to only several kilometers each.

Note: Could this be an evolution to both species, the Studded Swallower, and the Studnode? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:09:39 pm by Mae »

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2008, 01:19:10 pm »
Sure! Like a symbiosis? That'd be cool. Might even win the innovation award.

Also DSage, that idea reminds me of those transparent fish that they dye in the fish stores. Swarms of tiny, coloured, schooling things.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2008, 06:28:25 pm »
Exactly like symbiosis. I love the concept of a "organic egosystem" upon the worldswallowers, and, honestly, I'd prefer a giant slug to a crystal fern.

Offline DragonSage

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Anabasis: An Evolution Game
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
Kinda what I was going for, Oath.  :)  Just your average random schooling thing that there is too much of to kill but supports many a predator.  And since I'm posting, might as well kick out another one I had stewing.  Also not sure of the term you want used for how fungi get their food, so I just used a generic term.  Let me know if you want it changed.

Dustspore
Creator:
DragonSage
Genes: Water Storage x1, Fungal Consumption x1, Spore Reproduction x1
Description: A tiny, prolific little organism that feeds off of the remains of any dead or dying thing on land.  Its dust-like spores, large enough to see with the naked eye with a careful glance, are its namesake and key to survival.  By spreading its genes on the wind, offspring are almost guranteed.  When small clusters form, they feed relentlessly on their dying companions.  One way they are readily able to survive the harsh, aboveground conditions is the adaptation of a small sac in the middle of the growth that stores excess water that is slowly used in drought conditions.

EDIT: Caught a formatting error
Got time to kill?  Like evolution style games?  Play Progeny and want to do somelthing while waiting for an update?  Check out my own spin on it, Anabasis:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/anabasis/index.php?