Author Topic: Front page updated!  (Read 68225 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Front page updated!
« on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:48 pm »
Quote from: Gaming Steve
The Long Awaited Update
Not Dead Yet

Yes the rumors are true, I am still alive and well. And more importantly, so is the site (believe it not). People have been asking for an update for quite some time but to be honest I didn't have anything new or encouraging to post so there was nothing to update. But these last few days have been a flurry of activity and I finally have an update on the future of the site -- and it's good news.

So what the heck has been going on? Well let's go back around a year when I first put the call out for new contributors to the site, and oh so many of you responded. The plan was to update the site software with something robust enough to handle multiple authors as well as many other custom features I had planned. Once this new system was in place I would be able to manage the site while having multiple authors contribute on a regular basis. Things were going well, I contracted and paid for a company to implement an industrial strength blogging software package custom designed specifically for this site and things were moving along. That was, until it wasn't and things just started to slowly fall apart. Very long story short is that the software package was never delivered and I wasn't able to find a software package which would perform the work I needed.

However that all changed a few days ago when Movable Type 4.01 (the software I use for this site) was released and it was the answer to my prayers and so much more. Everything I have ever wanted for this site to do I can finally do and as of today the site is now running on this platform. And the administration tools are a dream, all the original content was imported into the site seamlessly and it appears that I can finally run this as I have always wanted.

So the plan for the next few days is as follows: First I'm in testing the site and making sure all of the code has transfered correctly. Already I have found a few bugs which needed to be quashed, but the site seems to be running better than ever. Next I have a new design all ready to go which will bring the site up to the "Web 2.0" standard. This design will take a few days to implement, but the design is pretty much complete so hopefully that will go smoothly. There are also plans to tie the extremely active forums directly into the front-end of the site (which will require some custom programming) but this has been well thought out and should be pretty straightforward to implement. And then ... well, the site will finally be ready for the big new reveal!

As for my ability to continue to contribute and do a podcast I plan do just that. How often I will be able to do this I still to be determined as I am as busy as ever. Which brings me back to where I started this post ... the plan to have other people contribute to the site as well. This way the site can continue to thrive and I can contribute as time allows as it would be terrible to let the site simply fade away.

So once again I put out the call, if you are interested in contributing to the site contact me and we'll take it from there. But watch this space soon for some exciting new changes, they'll be coming faster than you think!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: Front page updated!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:34:26 pm »
I went to the front page on my lunch break although not expecting an update but I generally go there just in case wow was I suprised. Good news indeed.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:13:14 pm »
Noticed Steve popping in and out today.
Can't wait to see the new frontpage. :)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:17:32 pm »
Likewise. And finally it looks like the forum will become unique! No more default! :D

Having others put updates on the front should help the site stay more active as well.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:24:41 pm »
I'm already thinking up ideas for some good content to contribute. What will be quality control will anyone be able to post up cause i can see that becoming HW and lots of 12 years olds posting "OMGZ is teh Hal0sss!!!1!" Followed by "STFU that sucks more like Gay-lo. ROFLMFAO!"

gec05

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:18:17 pm »
I'm already thinking up ideas for some good content to contribute. What will be quality control will anyone be able to post up cause i can see that becoming HW and lots of 12 years olds posting "OMGZ is teh Hal0sss!!!1!" Followed by "STFU that sucks more like Gay-lo. ROFLMFAO!"

Gay-lo... ha ha ha, I should use that. :P

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 07:28:03 am »
Good to hear from Steve himself and know he's all well and good. I'm sure many people here would love to help contribute. I, myself, would do what I can. But that really depends on the kind of things Steve is looking for.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:30:02 pm »
I've never posted like that, unless maybe I was being sarcastic about someone else who did it.  Also, since we have moving text, can we have flashing text?  (EG. Text that dissappears and reappears, which you could control speed like you control text size)
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:33:48 pm »
Am I the only one that think its funny that HelloWorld took offence? I think that says something about his behaviour ;)
@davidramnero

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 03:01:39 pm »
There will assuredly be content submission controls in place.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 03:05:37 pm »
Neat. I'd love to write an update but I doubt I'd have any new and popular games before everyone has them.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 06:24:10 pm »
I'm happy for this...so will Gaming Steve become a more relevant website now that there will be updates and stuff? Maybe head in the more blog like direction of a Kotaku or Joystiq, since it doesn't look like this'll be much of a podcast hub in the near future...

So what's Steve been doing anyways? Kids, working on his game, fantasy football?

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 09:39:38 pm »

Give me one example of someone here saying something like that without being sarcastic, regardless of age, and I'll believe you.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 05:20:41 am »

Give me one example of someone here saying something like that without being sarcastic, regardless of age, and I'll believe you.

It was an exaggerated example of a Halo vs. Any other game debate.

Some people... Christ.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 09:01:24 am »

This is the site for intelligent gaming discussion. It doesn't represent the whole gaming population. Go to GameFAQs, or someplace like that, and you'll see the difference (I'm sure other people can attest to that).