Author Topic: Podcasts to complement Steve's  (Read 16711 times)

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
Podcasts to complement Steve's
« on: August 16, 2005, 11:12:14 pm »
At one time I had like 30 gaming Podcasts and over the past weeks have been narrowing down the list. The following are on par with Steve's and I recommend you add them to augment you gameCast listening experience:

Broadcast Gamer http://www.broadcastgamer.com/
GameOn! http://www.dispatch.com/gameon
Gamer's Radiocast http://www.yankidank.com
Geek Speek Radio http://geekspeakradio.com/ (tends to detour into hardware, but they still have a good deal of gaming stuff)

If you use iTunes simply enter the name in search. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 11:25:17 pm by Toshipaine »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts to complement Steve's
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:24:19 pm »
I highly recomend MuggleCast to any Harry Potter fans out there! It's a great podcast that both talks about the series (right now the new book) and they talk a little bit about the movie too. It's really entertaining with all the theories and they really make you think about the books. Actually, I think its number 4 on iTunes right now.

But you cant compare it to Steve's, because they're about 2 different topics. I like them both just as much!

P.S. Dont listen to MuggleCast if you havent read book 6 and dont want to have any spoilers.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:56:13 pm »
Lord Janos and I both mentioned http://www.Geekson.com but I thought I'd mention it again here.

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:26:06 am »
Ummm... the original intention of my post was to point out complimentary GAMING *casts to Steve's. Not a Harry Potter cast or a Geek cast or whatever else cast. Like I said before I had 30 various gaming podcast subscriptions and the ones I posted represent the best of the best. Please don't post off-topic, non-gaming podcasts here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:27:37 am by Toshipaine »

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:32:06 am »
Hey now, I feel that the Geekson guys complement Steve just fine.  They discuss videogames, they went to E3, one of them Makes videogames.  Sure they don't talk about it all the time but that's why it's complementing and not just repeating.  I love hearing Steve and the Geeks talk about the same stuff but if they all talked about Bully and Hot Cofee and XBox 360 then I would get a little bored.  Luckily, I've got the Geeks to give me a wide blunderbuss burst of geekery and I have Steve to hone in on gaming.  They go hand in hand.  So I shall defend my post to the death but I shall allow you to challenge if you so desire. -leeman

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 10:06:51 am »
GeeksOn is great - the guys are a bit stupid on their forums and seem very immature, but their podcasts are very good.  Gaming gets boring, so it's nice to listen to something else like a film review or wacky piece of news as well as that.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 10:38:09 am »
I too love those GeeksOns podcasts (listening to them all now). But I agree with you Lord Janus. Even I get bored of just gaming sometimes (shock!). Perhaps I'll mix it up a little bit in the future...

These geeks are pretty good, but I was appalled that they didn't know who StrongBad was. That was just sad.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Pir0

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Dolphin Rave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 09:46:40 pm »
Home Stawr Runnawr!?!?

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 10:20:32 pm »
I listen to VideoGamesNewsRadio. Three guys who try to talk about gaming and movies, but often get sidetracked. Its pretty funny, I didnt like it mush at first, but its grown on me.
I also listen to a couple WoW podcasts, and the Dawn & Drew show, and TWiT.

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 11:26:54 pm »
I just discovered Game Tech Talk, from last years Game Tech Summit for industry professionals. If you use iTunes type the name in the podcast search.

The two casts available are for Devs from SONY for God of War and then Jay Stelly for Half-Life 2. If you're into the design and programming of modern games you will like these podcasts. I highly recommend skipping God and War and go right to HL2. I was pretty disappointed with God of War; too much background noise and not very professional. By the time the guys got to the HL2, the cast quality improved dramatically. For close to 2 hours Jay discussions the inner workings of Valve and then goes into details on how they made HL2. There was a lot of industry nonmenclatures thrown around that made no sense to me but overall that it was great stuff!  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:57:22 pm by Toshipaine »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 03:26:42 am »
Check this out
http://www.pcgamerpodcast.com/

They're having an interview with Sid Meier this week...

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 07:01:09 pm »
Finally! I found a high production valued podcast for PC gamers. Snackbar Games (or iTunes podcast search for snackbar). Definitely another cast to add to your listening line-up. :D

Offline Rendition

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • FirstAdopter.com
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 07:32:26 pm »
Try my podcast, I have significant gaming coverage too.

http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/cat_fa_podcast.html

Offline blue

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 12:09:17 am »
the podcast over at GamerAndy.com is a decent one.  They do tend to get off topic though, and sometimes they get in fights between the hosts...

:) I think that ****s hilarious though, lol.

blue

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 11:56:06 am »
ive been a podcast listener since almost the begining. at first i thought these homebrewed wayne's world shows were the greatest thing on earth. a true showing of indie programming. but now that the market is more mainstream i'm realizng something very important. 99% of these shows are nothing more than an audio transcript of the loudest, most annoying message board fanboys and his two friends. If i want to hear biased system slamming then thats what the IGN boards are for.

It seems like these shows (not only video games) have all evolved to being less about the subject and more about their personal numbers, promotion for their websites and unfunny inside jokes with their buddies.  But during all the weak "Revolution controller is stupid" or "Xbox Sucks" soapbox speeches, quality shows like gamespot, pc gamer, major nelson have emerged with a more professional perspective and factual information.

So i think that there will be great shows like Gaming Steve that break out, but i also feel that the best of the shows will be the legitimate ones with actual corporate sponsorship. (of course, they'll ruin that pretty quick once they start taking advertising dollars.)