Author Topic: A New World: The Journey RP  (Read 23081 times)

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
Re: A New World: The Journey RP
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:09 pm »
Daniel arrived in the park when the lights went out but didnt think much of it  until he tripped over a bench and he stopped his fall with his hand and brushed himself off then decided to sit on the bench and watch the last sight of earth all the while rubbing his now injured hand.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 08:37:47 am »
Rhein was at first surprised with the lights going off, but then he looked up. There it was, the majesty of Saturns rings. Millions of rocks flew past the window as they always had done. With just the Sun's dim light, it was beutiful. Luckily the cameras on the hull were recording.

After a while Rhein got a line to the bridge. "I vant an engineer down here immediately. Somebody turned ze power off here in Observation Park." With that, he trotted back up to the bridge.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 11:00:23 am »
While everyone in the park and on the ship was distracted with the show, Astell removed a small computer from his coat pocket and flipped it open. He entered a long password and placed his finger in a print scanner. There was a brief loading time which was followed by a dark green screen; A silver star sat amidst the sea of green. Astell opened up a program and began tapping away at the small keyboard that was attached to the screen.

Searching for connection................ Connection found
Connection established - Enter command

Initiate Zeromus
Initiating...
Zeromus initiated - Network decryption starting...

Astell looked up from the screen for a moment, a man had stumbled in and was cursing loudly.

Network  UNSS Amstrng Primary decrypted - Terminating Zeromus...
Enter command...

With his first goal accomplished, Astell started a simple yet comprehensive series of monitoring programs so that he could keep an eye on things. The program was very simple in it's operations and nearly impossible to detect. Even so, if it was detected it exhibited no malicious effects and would most likely be passed over; only an astute programmer would bother to see what exactly the program was able to access and even then it would be tough to beat. With the show nearing it's end Astell saw no reason to dawdle around any longer; he put the computer back into his jacket, got to his feet, and took one last look at Saturn before heading toward the park's exit.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 12:26:28 pm »
Gerald hurried back into his apartment after only a quarter hour, the numerous launch parties seeming to have already started.  He even seen a drunk stumble into an elevator and vomit, something he'd hoped not to see until the less adventurous on board tried to drown the homesickness.  It wasn't that he didn't like parties or didn't enjoy a drink now and again, it was that he preferred getting to know someone before getting drunk with them, rather than the other way around.  It saved on awkward conversations.  He took his seat at the terminal and brought Athena's results to the foreground.  She'd detected another person accessing the Data-net base level, this one without using the maintenance codes given to programmers, and a handful of anomalies indicating possible program seeding.

Gerald grinned, so the games began.  Over the decades since the practice had started, hacking had evolved from a malicious act to something of a competition among programmers.  Sometimes there were months long back and forth attacks between two, or sometimes even several dozen programmers, which would culminate in no more than someone printing "gotcha'" on the desktop.  Of course there was still commercial hacking, between corporations or governments, but he assumed that this was something done by another debugger.  Why would anyone want to hack the ship itself?  First thing was to establish his own defense.  "Thor, online."

The screens edge was tinted yellow.  "Thor initiated."  He'd developed a simple method to naming his programs, Greek names for commercial programs (anybody could buy a copy of Athena for the right price), Norse for his personal use.  Thor was an adaptive security system, hard enough to get past the first time, impossible by the same means again.

"Construct a defensive shell around my section of the data-net, usual pass systems apply."

"Acknowledged."
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 12:38:54 pm »
Dirk finally arrived at the park, hoping he wasn't too late to see Saturn. He assumed somebody would film the passing of the ringed planet, but watching a rerun is never as good as the original. He quickly parked his car, jumped out, and dashed the short distance from the parking lot to the window. He almost bumped into somebody calmly walking away. Dirk muttered an apology, and ran on, finally reaching the window. He panted, both from running, and from the extraordinary view of the passing planet. He had seen pictures of Saturn, of course, but pictures can't convey the majesty of the real thing, as has been proven countless times before. He watched in amazement, until Saturn had left sight.

Only then did Dirk realize it was awfully dark in the park. He looked around for other people, but he could only discern vague silhouettes. He could see the shape of a bench, and slowly, carefully walked towards it, and sat down. He absently stared at the dim stars outside for a while, thinking about the planet he saw passing by, until he suddenly realized the engines would be started soon now. He immediately checked his watch, and saw he still had enough time to relax a bit. He calmed down again, and continued to stare at the empty vastness outside, idly thinking about the mission they embarked on, the mission that will probably last his lifetime, and will dramatically increase mankind's presence in the universe. He also waited for the lights to go back on, so he could return to his car without hurting himself.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 12:54:31 pm »
Jake staggered forward, towards a dark shape that vaguely resembled a person in the dark. He didn't recognize the person, who seemed to be quietly thinking.

"Errr....Helloooo....I'm a bit tipsy, so I was wondering if you could drive me back to my house?"

Jake gives the man his address, waiting for a reply.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Snake

• Choplifter Captain
  • Bow down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 02:11:37 pm »
At first, Henry scanned what he knew of the law, wondering if he could arrest those drunk in public. Atleast the man wasn't assaulting people. He sighed deeply, and turned on his flashlight, with it shining directly into the man's eyes. "Sir, how much have you been drinking?"
Please look at the Miala and their Wiki on the page.

Quote from: Gungnir
Blarg chicka blarg-blarg

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 02:40:04 pm »
Astell walked silently down the deserted avenue, every now and again the sounds from one of the parties could be heard. On the walkway one floor above him a scream rang out and a somewhat disheveled looking man burst from a house with a purse in hand. Astell watched the man for a few seconds cutting off to the right and into a corridor between houses. He grabbed onto a window ledge and pushed himself across to the adjacent house where he sidled up to the second floor walkway and hopped over the railing. The man was only a few feet away and approaching quickly, Astell let loose a kick and caught the man on the side of the head. A shrill cry came out from behind Astell and he turned slowly.

~"Oh thank you so much! Thank you! I don't know what I'd have done if that man had gotten away!" a woman was saying in French.

Astell smiled at the woman, she had a flawless figure and eyes that you could get lost in. He held out the purse and she gladly took it back, the woman looked into the purse for a moment and then looked Astell over.

~"Thank you, it's nice to know there are some gentlemen aboard." she said giddily "Is there anything I can do to repay you? Anything at all?"

~"Perhaps another time." Astell replied fluently "I have some business to attend to."

Astell approached the ledge and vaulted over it landing down on the ground floor, out of the corner of his eye he saw the woman watching him. After a few moments Astell removed his computer from his jacket and looked over his things, a small window was flashing in the bottom left of the screen. Astell looked it over and smiled, someone on board seemed to have their things together. He entered in a few lines and sent a winking smiley to whoever was on the other end, he was certain that he'd be getting to know this person better over the course of the journey.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 04:10:09 pm »
Gerald arched an eyebrow at the smiley.  Whoever this was was fast, and ahead of the game, it wouldn't do to let this guy know where his systems were without returning the favor.  "Odin, online."

"Odin initiated."  Odin was his seeker program.  While Athena could receive and organize data, Odin actively searched it out.  Or rather, launched programs which would search out data and return it to Odin later on, it would be plain stupid to leave a direct link between the net and his terminal.

"Launch a basic search for all net activity targeted at or passing through my net-space.  Orders:  Follow and retrieve address."

"Acknowledged.  Seek and return target set to:  Address."

"Launch a secondary long term search for any origin points for patterns established by program Athena, set to primary when true primary is complete."

"Acknowledged.  Secondary search established, link to program Athena established."

"Loki, online."  He waited a moment, and turned to the screen when there was no vocal reply.  An error message flashed in one corner of the screen, informing him that program Loki had been damaged in transfer from his home terminal.  He sighed, Loki had taken months to get working.  But perhaps it was superficial damage, it might still work.  "Loki, bypass error."

"Rhubarb."  Gerald gaped.  If it was randomly quoting its language dictionary, most of the directive shell must have been damaged.   The directive shell was what directed the raw power of an AI, it prevented Athena from trying to find a pattern in everything, and Odin from tracking every minuscule data transfer it could find.  He had no idea what Loki might do without one...  He reached over and turned the volume and microphone off before standing to unpack the rest of his things.  AI's had a somewhat viral nature in that some of them could reconstruct bits of their own programming given time.  It was best to let things sit for a bit before trying anything.  On the terminal, Loki randomly opened a channel with Athena.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 05:44:30 pm »
But why had the power shut off

The good doctor was sitting in his easy chair. It was worn, torn, and shabby, but he had made every breakthrough of his life with his hindquarters planted firmly in the cushion. It had cost a fortune to bring aboard, too.

His face was a pale yellow in the wan light of the engines. In his one hand, he twirled a scalpel with surgical discipline. With his other, he unrolled a flexscreen. It hummed softly, static clearing to reveal a grainy smorgashboard of surveillance.

This is when he had noticed the blackened square.

Ob_pk
Lowlight-y/n

There, a drunk was being apprehended; there, a man walked businesslike towards the gate. It was the man staring directly at the camera, though, that sent shivers down the doctors spine until the scalpel mis twirled and nicked his finger.

Who was that man?

The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 05:50:50 pm »
The cat looked up at the view, completely uninterested. It didn't make interesting moving patterns, no smell, and the colors were dull at best.

He hopped up onto a shelf, and started to bat at a moving box with a lens...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 06:03:53 pm »
Jake sluured out: "Only five beers, ma'am. Nothing toooo heavy....Jae,um, I mean Elmer ain't a heavy drinker..."

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Snake

• Choplifter Captain
  • Bow down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 06:20:18 pm »
"Five beers. Yea right. It's pretty obvious you're drunk in public, so I'm going to take you to the station so they can deal with you. Come along quietly." He pointed towards the doors, hoping the man wasn't too drunk to walk.
Please look at the Miala and their Wiki on the page.

Quote from: Gungnir
Blarg chicka blarg-blarg

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 06:42:42 pm »
"And what if I don't come quietly? I'm enjoying myselllfff snd not hurting no one."

Jake giggled drunkenly.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 06:44:25 pm »
Suddenly, the cat slipped, and landed right on top of Henry with a yowl.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:01:53 pm by Kcronos »
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT