Author Topic: A New World: The Journey RP  (Read 23079 times)

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
Re: A New World: The Journey RP
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2007, 11:28:59 am »
Thank you for the information. Who has done this? What company engineered this virus? Is it natural?

~GV

Was it just the doctor's nerves, or did the message raise more questions than it answered?
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2007, 11:49:16 am »
The doctor's message was not sent directly to Astell and instead posted on a public forum. Astell, however, was alerted to the message and looked it over; he decided to respond to keep the doctor somewhat sane.

The virus is not natural and has been engineered with many intricacies. This is all I can tell you at this time. I would hope that you leave the virus be and simply jettison it. Know that if you choose to keep the virus, all responsibility for it's safe keeping will fall upon you and only you.

~0mus

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2007, 08:12:49 pm »
Understood. I will use our most secure of facilities.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2007, 09:36:03 am »
Rhein was enjoying TV in his cabin when it happened. The TV was basically playbacks of classic Sci-Fi. Today, it was Doctor Who. All dubbed of course. Then, just before the opening credits, a cloaked figure appeared on the screen. It spoke in a hoarse whisper, barely audible. It was just mindless jibberish anyway. But the subtitles gave an alltogether creppier message: //Good Day, inhabitants of the UNSS Armstrong. I am Brother Rolla of the Temple of The New Continuum. You all are great sinners. We saw you drinking alcoholic drinks. They are banned by the Book of the Continuum. Join us and repent, or die in the flames of hell. You must all repent in 72 hours, or everyone will die. And Commander,\\ Rhein looked up at this point, //try and stop us, and you will die first. Connection terminated.\\
Rhein charged out of the room and down to the bridge. "I vant to know who zeese 'Continuum' people are! Now!"

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2007, 10:31:44 am »
Astell was standing in a boutique looking over two very nice suits. One thing that he loved about the journey was that there was no sense of time like there was on Earth. Despite this, Astell found that people were still going to bed at the same times that they used to; an effect of this practice was that at certain times of the day certain groups of people were awake. Currently, Astell found himself surrounded mostly by Europeans.

Just beyond the suits Astell was examining sat a television screen and in front of the screen was a man. The man was staring at the screen vacantly as if he were waiting for something. Astell watched him for a moment before turning his attention back to the suits. Moments later the screen lit up and a strange message played, the man seemed to pop out of his trance and left the boutique shortly after the message ended. Astell left the suits behind and walked after the man, the message had promised death to all on board and that was grounds for him to act. The man slipped into a home about ten minutes away from the boutique, Astell took note of the address and wrote it down on a slip of paper.

Astell looked the house over for a few minutes before making up his mind. The front door was easy enough to bypass, it was the man holding a baseball bat on the other side that proved bothersome. There was a loud crack as the man hit Astell clean in the head, he flew back into the front door causing it to slam shut. Astell staggered for a moment and the man wound up for another swing, Astell caught the bat as it flew in for a second hit.

"Not today." Astell said, ripping the bat from the man's hands and hitting him in the chest the tip.

A dull thud bounced around the room as Astell hit the man for a second time, there was something hard under the man's shirt.

"What's this?" Astell asked, ripping the man's shirt open and removing a book "This is your book, then?"

Astell dropped the bat on the floor and punched the man in the jaw, he crumpled to the floor and stayed there. The book looked plain but was obviously of some importance to the man, taking care not to disturb anything Astell left the house. It was a tall order to try to take down the entire group by himself so Astell decided to tip off the authorities, anything that would hinder them could be considered helpful.

The police headquarters was an impressive building toward the center of the ship. It sported Romanesque columns and very fine masonry throughout. Astell walked across the main hall and up to a receptionist. There was pandemonium everywhere as calls came in from hysterical passengers reporting every strange movement that they saw. The receptionist doggedly looked at Astell and dully addressed him.

"What do you want? Quick, out with it, we're busy today in case you didn't notice." came the receptionist's gruff voice.

"I will not take much of your time sir." Astell began "You can ignore the rest of these calls coming in. Go to this house, there is an unconscious man on the floor who knows something. He had this book on his person."

Astell slid the book across the desk and smiled.

"One more thing, don't try to find me. I will come to you when the time is right. Good day."

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2007, 01:31:45 pm »
Ripples spread through the datanet as the code for Tv Broadcasting was hacked and replaced. Titan immediately scanned the new transission, and read the subtitles.

This is most definetly unauthorized.

Commander Rheins communicator rang.

"Comander Rhein? It is Titan. I am sure you have noticed the strange transmissions going out on all stations. I have not been informed of this and my programming says I am to come to you for commands. Can you authorize this behaviour?"
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2007, 08:45:50 am »
"Ja, zhere hafe been unauzerized transmission. I'm yust reading ze Wikipedia page."
Rhein carefully took in the text from the internet's only self-aware website. It said://The Temple of The New Continuum began in 2016 after the invasion of Iran. So many people hated the cruelty seen on TV sets by various UN troops, that they lost all hope in religion. They turned to a man who called himself Father Elodea. He preached that all should turn to him and his new ways. He said that he had found an ancient divise that allowed him to see the truth in lies.
Most political leaders saw this as harmless, but in 2025 an entire New England town was killed, their blood writing out the Book of The New Continuum. The perpatrators were still there, chanting these scriptures, dead bodies surrounding them, drained of blood. All of them were given capitol punishmen. Elodea praised them, even as they went to their death. He became one of the UN's most wanted. Four more massacres like this followed, all in different parts of the world. The UN tracked Elodea down, and killed him. But the religion carried on. The Continuists kept preaching for people to join them, or die. In 2039, for the first time ever, an entire religion was outlawed by the UN.
Now, it is beleaved that the Continuists are plotting their comeback. But they haven't been seen in 11 years, so most just think it's hearsay.//
Rhein was worried. He remembered watching the newcasts of the massacres. He rembered his nephew being told that if he didn't go to bed, or eat his greens, the Continuum will get him. But there was genuine fear at that time. If they were back... who know what they could do...

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2007, 10:21:13 am »
"Shall I take action?"

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2007, 10:23:33 am »
"Ja. Find ze source."

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2007, 10:52:39 am »
Alex sat staring at a blank television screen.  It had been 2 hours since the broadcast went out and he shut off his tv.  He had sat there in deep thought since, weighing his options.  On the one hand he could join them, be spared, and get in huge trouble should they lose, if they lost.  But that went against his morals.  On the other hand, he could fight back.  Frankly that seemed like an awful lot more fun.  More risky to be sure, but hey, waddya gonna do.

Alex got up and headed outside.  He needed to find a weapon.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2007, 11:32:08 am »
The launch party had only just started in the engine room when the message appeared on a workstation that had been tuned to some tv-channel as background. The engineers partied later than the rest of the ship because they didn't have time before, and for them the launch was the starting of the Warp Drive, not the departure from Earth. But the worrying message had stopped the festivities in its tracks.
Some engineers immediately threw their drinks away out of fear, some stared in amazement at the screen, and one engineer laughed a bit, as he thought it was a joke, or at least hoped so.
Dirk couldn't believe it. The Temple of the New Continuum. Of course Dirk had heard the stories when he was a kid. He had heard of the terrible massacres they were responsible for, but, like all stories about wars and disasters, the severity of those events often don't sink in when you haven't personally witnessed them. Now that he was involved himself, the seriousness of the situation hit him. This was a big ship. There were too few police officers and security guards to protect every important location on board, so the Temple could follow its threat through.
Dirk panicked a little. He ran to his workstation, made some quick calculations, and opened a communications channel to the bridge. "Commander, sir, I assume you've seen the message on tv too. We could still cut the Warp Drive, turn around and return to Earth for help. It would only take us a few hours to return."
His senior officer looked at Dirk angrily, and said: "Don't ever do that again, especially without asking permission first! Besides, don't you think the Commander is a bit too busy to answer you!".
But the message was sent already. All the engineers could do was to tensely wait for an answer.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2007, 05:51:52 pm »
Gerald typed furiously at his terminal, having used Omous' computer to reconnect it to the Data-net a short time ago.  He'd just been a kid when the Continuum had first showed up, but he remembered enough to know they, or anyone stupid enough to go by their name, were serious.  He'd set Odin's priorities to searching out the source of the transmission and any additional messages from the group.  He'd also set Thor to request permission from Titan to work together in constructing stronger firewalls around areas of the Data-net vital to the the ship's operation.

Loki's encounter with Titan had caused a minor conflict to develop in his growing directive shell.  On the one hand, proceeding without caution would allow an increased rate of data acquisition.  On the other, this wuld no doubt lead to his immediate destruction by Titan, halting further data acquisition.  Any normal AI would have compared the potential risks and payoffs and come to a conclusion without turmoil.  Loki, lacking any sense of self preservation unless something was actively attacking, came back to the issue again and again.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2007, 09:40:05 am »
Rhein smiled about the young engineer. He liked his impulsiveness. He sent a message saying it would take to long to get back to Earth. And how long would it be before the Contiuum figured out we were going back to Earth, destroying the ship. No, we must press on.
A lead that they had got found nothing. An unconcious man, but nothing linking him to the Continuum. And no tounge. Rhein had two theories. Either their reclusive informant was lying, or the Continuum had links in the police. Rhein was leant towards the latter, remembering how they worked, but without eveidence, he decided to call of that paticular line of questioning. Hopefully, Titan would find the source, then they'd be able to track them.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2007, 08:38:06 am »
-Unencrypting transmission-

-Triangulating source-

Several minutes passed.

"I can track them to the farming deck, but since there is only one actually broadcaster from that deck, I will need more data to get more specific."

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2007, 11:52:50 pm »
"Gut. I vill get security down zere immediately. Azough, knoving zem, zey vould hafe already gone by now."
Rhein sent the orders for security to scour Farming Deck.