Author Topic: The worst book you've ever read  (Read 70206 times)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: The worst book you've ever read
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 07:59:54 am »
I have posted this before (most of probably have seen it too) but still:

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 01:26:34 pm »
I really haven't read any horrible books...First Harry Potter is pretty awful but I was a kid at the time. I think the title has to go to Dreamcatcher by Steven King. Decent writing but such a ridiculous set-up.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »
I hated Dreamcatcher too.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Online Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 09:24:30 pm »
To be honest, I would be suprised if a book based on a video game was actually good.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Kazzor

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 01:28:28 am »
To be honest, I would be suprised if a book based on a video game was actually good.

Then you haven't read any :O
Chapter-master of the Wrath Hammer Space Marine chapter.
"By my fury they shall know the Emperors name!"

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 09:10:05 pm »

Then you haven't read any :O

Haaaalo. Seriously, I think the books were better than the games. If I, uh, remember correctly. I read them in like 7th grade.

About bad books... I can't seem to remember reading any because they were, ah, bad. I do remember reading a few that just seemed to end suddenly, I don't like that.
There is one that isn't bad, not by a long shot, but I couldn't bring myself to read it all the way through. The second Lord of the Rings. It just seemed to drone on and on. Maybe the movies spoiled it for me.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 03:50:17 pm »
Haaaalo. Seriously, I think the books were better than the games. If I, uh, remember correctly. I read them in like 7th grade.

agreed
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2007, 11:14:43 pm »
Scratch that! I read Anthony Horowitzs "Point Blanc" and I HATED it! It's terrible writing and ridiculous setups. Of course there are movies made of it... >:(

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 03:18:51 am »
The Sacred Balance

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 09:40:53 am »
Scratch that! I read Anthony Horowitzs "Point Blanc" and I HATED it! It's terrible writing and ridiculous setups. Of course there are movies made of it... >:(

That was the worst of the series by far, and the movies are terrible.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 11:47:05 am »

Agreed. The others were interesting and well, good. This was greatly lacking.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 08:45:33 am »
Setting aside books that were forced on me by the public education system (yes, I'm looking at you, Silas Marner) and sticking with books I actually chose to read to completion, I gotta go with (I believe) Crown of Swords from the Wheel of Time series. Don't get me wrong... overall, I like WoT, but CoS (if it's the one I'm thinking of) was just repetitive and tedious, and nothing of true substance happened until the final 2-3 chapters. Meh.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 12:11:25 pm »
Setting aside books that were forced on me by the public education system (yes, I'm looking at you, Silas Marner) and sticking with books I actually chose to read to completion, I gotta go with (I believe) Crown of Swords from the Wheel of Time series. Don't get me wrong... overall, I like WoT, but CoS (if it's the one I'm thinking of) was just repetitive and tedious, and nothing of true substance happened until the final 2-3 chapters. Meh.

Wheel of Times books seem to get progressivley more devoid of actual happenings as time goes on.

Offline BlueBottle

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2008, 07:20:53 am »
Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

Awesome premise: human boy, raised by aliens, returns to Earth; the boy and his fellow Earthlings struggle to 'grok' each others' bizarre cultures.

But by the time I finished the book I was completely disillusioned. I no longer cared about nor identified with any of the characters. I felt as though I were the butt of a cruel haze or practical joke played by the author on his readers; I imagined Mr. Heinlein lounging in his easy chair, pointing his finger at me and laughing "sucker!" while his publisher snickered approvingly behind him.

Fortunately, I also read one of his earlier works, Starship Troopers, which was sufficiently superb that I can forgive him for his awful Stranger.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2008, 08:43:21 am »
Blue, Stranger in a Strange Land is considered one of the best science fiction books ever. I am not saying you are wrong (haven't read it yet, it is on my nightstand) but, to me, it seems odd especially since you liked Heinlein's earlier work.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!