Author Topic: The worst book you've ever read  (Read 71522 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: The worst book you've ever read
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 02:12:51 pm »
Dune isn't cliched as it was written before those things were cliches.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 02:20:32 pm »
Mondays are Red.

I had to read it back in Year 7 in English, its about this kid with extreme Synesthesia, it's argueable one of the most depressing and stupid book ever written. It's full of hate, stupid metaphores and makes no sense whatsoever.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 02:35:08 pm »
I loved both Dune and Lord of the Flies.

Sure, the first time you read LOTF, you think that its about these whiny kids who need to get a life.

But if you immerse yourself more in old literature, like paradise lost, and you read the book more carefully with a cynical viewpoint, looking for symbols, you start to see what the author wants you to see.

On a side note, did you know that Beelzebub's name means "Lord of the Flies"?

Anyway, my most hated book was the Jar of Dreams.  No plot, no story, just this emo japanese kid who helps with the laundry.

Rising Climax Falling:

Normal book's: /\     Jar of dreams: __________________________________________________________________________________________
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 02:47:43 pm »
P.S. I'm going to name one of my favourite books too. Roll Of Thunder, Hear My Cry. I read it in middle school, and I loved it.

I whole heartedly agree!

Least favourite - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. It was so bad, so awfully bad. The writing was terrible, the characters were extremely stupid* and the plot set in more then halfway through the book, and there was STILL virtually no plot anyway.

*The books is about the son of a Nazi general who befriends a jewish boy. Firstly, for some reason the author seems too scared to refer to nazis or hitler, so he just uses the title fuhrer, but then again, he never even says fuhrer. Instead, the boy refers to him as "The Fury" The problem here is that if the boy spoke German (which is says he does, obviously) he would know of the word fury (it actually says he doesn't know any english) and what it means (because he knows what fury means)

The boy is panfully oblivious as to what happens in Auschwitz (or Out-With, as, once again, the author never says Auschwitz) and has no idea why his Jewish friend is so thing and sad. He even thinks the concentration camp is just a village on the other side of a big fence.

The books ends with the boy willingly (okay, so he thought they were just rain shelters they were being forced into) walking into some gas chambers and dying. Wow.

EDIT - One more thing. The newspapers and most other people I know think it is amazing. I don't understand why. It's a big book of war cliches and stupidity.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:49:53 pm by Alwayswatching »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 10:13:20 pm »
Oh, a door in the wall was pretty bad...

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 12:33:12 am »
In school, pretty much everything I read prior to starting my GCSE courses was terrible.

We read 'Skellig', which was a stupid, patronising book. It's about some of angel that lives in a kid's attic or somewhere and eats Chinese food. Soudn interesting? It wasn't. It was evidently designed for eight year olds and I hated it. It was a long-stupid rip-off of all the other books where children find some bizarre animal.

Then we read 'Holes', which also sucks, paticularaly considering I'd read it myself, several years before. This book is really famous so I won't give you the plot.

I think my major problem was that, at home, I was reading 'intelligent' books, or at least books aimed at adults from around age 11 or 12. I commonly read Stephen King, for example. Whilst I didn't understand all the references I did get to grips with all the fear of it, and whilst most people I knew's favourite book woul be Harry Potter or, God forbid, something written by Jacqueline Wilson, my favourite book was Pet Semetary.

Knowing that my class was whining over patronising reading material, 'Talking in Whispers', When she gave me a synopsis of the book, I was excited. It was about 'political strife' and 'subversive terrorist activities'.

No, it wasn't. It was based aroung Pinochet's regime in Chile, but called the General something else. The murdered President was not Allende, but some other name. It was terrible. The characaters, far from the hardened revolutionaries I had envisioned, were a bunch of kids who stumble their way through and always manage to 'Run away' without being shot at by the Military Junta. People were taken away but it did not explain anything; the idealology behind Pinochet's regime, the reason and method of siezing power, American CIA involvement and the support of Mageret Thatcher. None of the shocking facts that would ram the message home. It was just an attempt to turn a Fascist state into a nice little 'Swallows and Amazons'-esque parable. No grittiness at all. Huge amounts of dialogue are given over to a terrible romance sub-plot, which was so poorly written I considered burning my copy rather than allowing school to give that terrible Aesop-style drivel to another student.

But, once I got into Year 10, things hotted up. I thoroughly enjoyed The Crucible, Romeo and Juliet and A Christmas Carol. I only hope this year's novel is up to scratch. IE 1984 and not Of Mice and Men, which everyone seems to study and despsise.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:35:06 am by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 03:09:16 am »
We read 'Skellig', which was a stupid, patronising book. It's about some of angel that lives in a kid's attic or somewhere and eats Chinese food. Soudn interesting? It wasn't. It was evidently designed for eight year olds and I hated it. It was a long-stupid rip-off of all the other books where children find some bizarre animal.

Ugh! Don't remind me!

God forbid, something written by Jacqueline Wilson

I agree. Every book is the same story of a whiny girl.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 05:03:45 am »
Dune isn't cliched as it was written before those things were cliches.

I may spoil something about Dune, be warned

Yeah but one thing I didn't like about the characters in Dune were, that they never seem to be taken aback by anything. Harkonen attack? Pffth that's normal. Be stranded in the dessert with no sign of help or water for thousands of kms'? Did that last week what's new? Another harkonen attack in a secret underground lair? Nah. Drink some posion and experience a entirely new dimension of knowledge and feeling and communication with your child who is still in a foetus? Bah. At most they seem a bit schocked that something doesn't go according to plan but they always keep a level head. Yeah I know most of the characters are trained something or other but still.

This may just be because it has been a while since I read it but still.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 09:02:58 am by Cool AN »

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 11:51:10 am »
Man, i really disliked Dune. A teacher wanted me to read it for extra credit. She just assumed i'd "Love it" because its science fiction. But I got to say, it really wasn't that good...

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 01:29:17 pm »
I liked Dune.

Offline Kazzor

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 02:05:12 am »
The last guardian...
A warcraft Novel about the time when the orcs first came to Azeroth, and Medive betrayed the hole lot of them...

It got it all, orcs, war, magic, demons, death, funny char. n' stuff...

BUT, when it's like it's building up for something that NEVER comes up!
At the end i really didn't notice i was in the ending of the book and then when it started to sound like it was going somewhere: The end

WTF!

Chapter-master of the Wrath Hammer Space Marine chapter.
"By my fury they shall know the Emperors name!"

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 06:21:15 am »
Thats what you get for reading a warcraft novel...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 07:08:52 am »
I liked Dune.

I can see how people would like it, but it wasn't for me.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 07:21:19 am »
Thats what you get for reading a warcraft novel...

Lord of the Clans was awesome though.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 07:50:21 am »
Yeah, Lord of the Clans was awesome.

And a terrible book that comes to mind is the Starcraft book "Shadow of the Xel'Naga". The author took game mechanics literally (Talked about resources, a lot), the ending was terrible and made no sense what so ever, and the Zerg were so badly done that I wanted to hunt down and beat the author to death with a stick.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."