Author Topic: Paradox Games  (Read 52561 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Paradox Games
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2016, 11:52:07 am »
Wars between large nations are unfun. They are so annoying. Worst part of the game I've found so far.

I wish there was some way of curbing other peoples' FTL that wasn't complete garbage.

-EDIT-

Also, when does Ruler Designer come out for this? I want to be able to set the traits of my polities' starting rulers for lore reasons.

I think this game is pretty fun now, but it'll be damn near perfect once Paradox starts up the DLC train.

*trying to manage task forces in enemy space*

YOUR STATION IS UNDER ATTACK

*turn around, get back, find out they're in the next system over shooting more stuff*

I've only used warp so far, so these aliens popping in and out of wormholes is rustling my jimmies a lot.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:53:41 am by Brandonazz »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »
Wars between large nations are unfun. They are so annoying. Worst part of the game I've found so far.

Eh, I don't know why people are complaining about this as much as they have been. It's annoying yes, but totally manageable if you setup chokepoints.

You know where they are going to attack, your planets, which are stationary defensive positions -- seriously those are the easiest things in the world to defend. Hence, you put several fortresses around each of your planets (I do four overlapping on my homeworld) and let's see them get through that. They snare them with their warp dampeners so they can't go anywhere, and then my fleet cuts them to pieces. Easy.

I think people are used to the zerg method too much where you just go in cut the enemy AI with sheer force and now they actually have to THINK and try to outmaneuver their ship movements and setup honest to god defensive positions people are losing their freaking minds.

If anything this has been the best combat I've seen in a game for a long long long time. The AI is jumping all the over the place and you have to use actual strategy to beat them rather than sheer numbers (i.e. every other game on the market). It's awesome.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #452 on: May 14, 2016, 01:45:40 pm »
you put several fortresses around each of your planets (I do four overlapping on my homeworld)

Top strat can confirm.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 14, 2016, 04:51:37 pm »
I haven't got into enough major wars to comment on this much but I can say that I fell into the trap of only looking at the number under my fleet. I had my ass handed to me by a fleet almost half the "strength" of mine from a species with inferior technology. My fleet was strong mostly because it had a lot of cruisers and destroyers and a couple of battleships, the enemy fleet was almost entirely corvettes. My giant L quantum missiles did a ton of damage but could only blow up one corvette at a time so they chipped away at my big ships much faster than I could shoot them down.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #454 on: May 14, 2016, 08:49:26 pm »
I haven't got into enough major wars to comment on this much but I can say that I fell into the trap of only looking at the number under my fleet. I had my ass handed to me by a fleet almost half the "strength" of mine from a species with inferior technology. My fleet was strong mostly because it had a lot of cruisers and destroyers and a couple of battleships, the enemy fleet was almost entirely corvettes. My giant L quantum missiles did a ton of damage but could only blow up one corvette at a time so they chipped away at my big ships much faster than I could shoot them down.

Yeah, you will lose if you have battleships against corvettes nearly every time. You need to balance your fleets as corvettes can evade big ships with ease.

Usually a good mix is 12/7/4/1 in fleet makeup. For each battleship you should have 4 cruisers 7 destroyers and 12 Corvettes (at least).

Also the weapons are very rock/paper/scissors so if you are going against the wrong makeup you will lose fast. Every weapon and armor type in Stellaris has a direct hard counter.

1) Energy weapons are weak to shields, strong against armor.
2) Kinetic weapons are strong against shields, weak against armor
3) Missiles are strong against both however can be countered better than any of the others with point defense systems.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2016, 02:29:27 am »
Does it help if you build a cruiser or a battleship and choose all the "light" sections so it has 8 small weapon modules instead of two big ones? Or is it just the sheer size of the ship that makes it bad at taking down corvettes?

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2016, 07:04:08 am »
Does it help if you build a cruiser or a battleship and choose all the "light" sections so it has 8 small weapon modules instead of two big ones? Or is it just the sheer size of the ship that makes it bad at taking down corvettes?

No no no... If you give them small weapons they need to go close to fight and you want them to fight as far away as possible. Otherwise they will be destroyed. Here is a general strategy.

Corvettes: THE SWARM. Anti-shield or shield penetrating weapons. Give them as high of an evasion score as you can (modules will help with this).

Destroyers: Carries some guns but also your point defense. Depending on who you're up against, you might not need that much pd, so I don't spend too much on it until I know i need it, and when destroyers fill that role I can build them all over the empire and rush them to whatever fleet ad hoc.

Cruisers: Ships of the Line. Simple but heavy hitting guns, medium range. The bulk of my conventional firepower.

Battleships: Crowd control and fire support. The most designs I have, because I bring every buff and debuff I can. 2, maybe as many as 3, of each effect if I can manage. Being costly and time-consuming, I give them defensive AI and only the longest range weapons to keep them out of range of most return fire, so tons of artillery and torpedoes as well as the extra point defense.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2016, 11:10:55 am »
Or is it just the sheer size of the ship that makes it bad at taking down corvettes?

This. They're just too big to be effective against "THE SWARM" as Steve puts it.

A group of decently-equipped smaller ships will run train on a sluggish big ship that lacks adequate backup. As you found out. :D

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 15, 2016, 11:17:55 am »
Isn't that how the Spanish Armada got beat by England?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2016, 11:23:11 am »
there was that storm,that helped like a ton

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2016, 06:11:57 pm »
Isn't that how the Spanish Armada got beat by England?

I believe you may be thinking of Trafalgar.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2016, 11:38:09 pm »
Just lost my first game playing as the default wormhole/warpgate humans. Vassalized three empires before another empire nearby decided I was being too aggressive.

Pretty sure it was because I hadn't really been building up my fleet as much as I should have been. They just warped onto my capital and murdered all my stuff. Gonna try something that's not xenophobic next run.

Regarding the performance thing I was wondering about a few pages back, I have noticed that the game starts to slow down over time, but it's still playable.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:39:50 pm by Gungnir »

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 16, 2016, 01:07:34 am »
This game actually runs better than CK2 + all DLC on my computer.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 16, 2016, 04:07:26 am »
Same here, not getting any slowdown. I assume it's because the game actually has to simulate less agents and less complicated interactions.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 16, 2016, 04:08:24 am »
Some kind of event happened where a bunch of aliens with an extremely powerful fleet (17k and 5k) from outside the galaxy showed up, really close to my home system.

I want to play more of that save, but I don't. :(

And I'm definitely getting some slowdown. I should check to make sure it's running on dedicated graphics.
No way dude, you're trolling me.