Author Topic: Paradox Games  (Read 50453 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox Games
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2016, 12:14:31 pm »
I know someone who started next to one of those 'purge' fallen empires and ran into them in like the first year.
The AI didn't hold back and it didn't take long before that game was done.

Also, the nice thing about having other species under your control is that it allows you to inhabit planets that are the opposite of what you're used to.
I conquered this race early on that was really pushing me around, and they had ocean planets while I had desert planets.
I had to enslave them all afterwards, because they were too ideologically opposed, but I could still build colony ships filled with slaves to colonize oceon worlds if I needed one in a good spot.

And getting into a federation when it's been established for a while is pretty difficult.
I'm currently surrounded by a federation of like 6 different species, and 2 of them don't like me so none of them really let me in.
And if I go to war with them, it'll be over for me pretty quickly.
So I'm kinda stuck in my little corner untill I find a solution.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:41 pm »
It is simple Celdur.

Conquer them. Conquer them all.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2016, 12:29:37 pm »
Blegh, trying to make friends with the first civ I met in my second game, did the "guarantee independence" thing. Turns out this means you have to go to war if they do? I thought it just meant you wouldn't try to vassalize them. Immediately a huge fleet twice the size of mine shows up in my home system.

QUIT TO DESKTOP
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »
Well I'm about ready to go back to Stellaris.

Star Fox Zero is encroaching on "WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU" territory and I don't want to break a gamepad today.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:48 pm »
So do you guys let the computer automatically build ships for you or do you make your own?

I was making my own for awhile, but it was a lot of work considering that I would upgrade my ships like 3-4 times and never even use that design. I just gave up and now let the computer do it and it's doing a pretty decent job most of the time.

Also I started to download some Mods to see how those work. Got The Blorg, 48 Empire Colors, Playable Robots (that one I really want to try and make a race of Robot overlords) and a few others that I'll give a try.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58:15 pm »
Oh man haven't gotten into mods yet.

I like to micromanage everything so I do all the building myself. Helps me keep a better memory of what is going on and where it is occurring in my empire. I think that practice comes from Civ and managing all the workers. :3

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 10, 2016, 01:08:12 pm »
I knew a color mod would be one of the first things to come out.
vanilla options are pretty limited.

And I really enjoy designing my own ships, but I don't do it with every tech upgrade unless if I'm involved in some big conflict.
It's by no means as complex as something like distant worlds, but there is some depth to it.

There is a sort of rock paper scissors going on with hull/shield/armor and the weapons that beat them, and having a healthy dose of all 3 can give you an edge.
Also, if you know your opponent is really tanking on shields, and not armor, for example, you could redesign some of your ships to have shield piercing weapons and you'll stomp them pretty quickly.
It also gets a lot more interesting with bigger ships, when you can lego together your battleship and make it just as you like.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 10, 2016, 01:23:46 pm »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #413 on: May 10, 2016, 01:39:56 pm »
Good post, Tesla.

The best part about Stellaris is that I never have to play GalCiv II again.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #414 on: May 10, 2016, 02:46:21 pm »
This game is pretty neato but it has that same Civ problem where you're like.. one more turn.
Except there are no turns. It just keeps going which is even worse. :0

before i knew it it was 6 am i have to work today
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 10, 2016, 03:26:11 pm »
Also, the nice thing about having other species under your control is that it allows you to inhabit planets that are the opposite of what you're used to.

The game seems to be pretty good at giving you multiple tools to deal with the same issue. Enslavement, uplift, enlightening, robots. In my game I just started getting the proper genetic engineering tech so I can actually modify my own pops. It's VERY expensive in terms of society research though. Just modifying 8 pops on my main science planet to be better at soc research cost 1500 research points.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #416 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:40 pm »
Okay, now the game is getting good with 5 colonies and half of the galaxy charted it's getting mighty messy and lots of fun.

I'm tempted to start a new game knowing what I know, but the draw of following through with all the insanity going on is quite captivating. I don't see how you could really "win" a game as taking over 40% of the galaxy seems nearly impossible, but who knows.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 10, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
Yeah, I picked the max map size to start and I don't quite see how I can ever even explore everything. The major limitation of wormholes is that it's a huge pain to spread out (though they're great within the range of your wormhole network obviously)

Apparently there is a "research" victory involving following some sort of precursor quest chain but I have no idea if I've even come across the start of it.

But I'm well on my way to researching genetech to make an army of monstrous abominations (though it looks like they're slightly inferior to the psionic soldiers I already have [which I can give alien steeds])
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #418 on: May 10, 2016, 05:33:34 pm »
Spoiler for cool event...

That ain't good...

http://i.imgur.com/g0nPgcF.png

At least I have a cool new blocker...

http://i.imgur.com/JhELlHC.png

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:44 pm »
Wormholes a pain to spread out? They're cheap as balls and you can build them anywhere your construction ship can go. I feel like my range has exponentially grown easily by just building stations in end point systems.

Edit.

Speaking of exponential growth, I'm churning out like 273 minerals a month and am at my 16K cap usually all the time. Have like 11 planets.

IDK, I feel like I totally outpaced my income as I'm able to crank out Battleships easily enough at this point. I shudder to consider what my 'overwhelming' and 'superior' neighbors can field.

I also uplifted the radroaches on my tomb world Earth. I'm a fanatic spiritualist arthropod, so it fits in well. They can also go to tomb worlds and have a Starborn trait that's seemingly rather unique

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:25:21 am by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.