Author Topic: Paradox Games  (Read 75946 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox Games
« Reply #390 on: May 10, 2016, 08:52:01 am »
Just curious, do those of you who have leaders go back into the pool have democracies/civs which require voting? I saw someone make reference to votes causing this to happen.
It was happening to me in my Theocratic Republic game, but not in my Despotic Hegemony. Makes sense.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 10, 2016, 09:00:28 am »
Ah, I haven't played a game with elections yet so I'm not sure how it works, but I've heard it's because all the candidate leaders get moved into a candidate pool and then just get plonked into the idle pool after they lose, not back to their old position.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 10, 2016, 09:09:56 am »
Yeah, but the thing is that I don't get any sort of alert about that at all. I'm only made aware of the election time and candidates for my species leader.

-EDIT-

Also, as soon as I posted about there being no AI-started wars in my games here, about three wars broke out in my game. Figures.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:23:57 am by RiseWhirled »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2016, 09:42:20 am »
The empire I just started has an "mass extinction event" that will occur on our home planet in an undetermined amount of time. So I've gotta spread out and research to either prevent it from happening or to have a fallback position for when it does. Right into the fire. :3

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2016, 09:57:25 am »
Classic.

I think the AI doesn't do early wars in both a way to give the player breathing room (unless they're fanatic purifiers) and because the cost is too high.

The AI takes space stations into account, like, in my extinction war, I had my larger fleet sitting in their home system, but, I couldn't engage since the combined size of their fleet and station would be too much.

They then mobilized since they had a faster FTL into my new system where I was building another space port. I chased them out but they knew to go to it, until the spaceport popped and they never left their home system. I was able to then just build up my fleet enough to wipe their and barely take down the station.

I'm sure if I bordered another aggressive rival empire thatd have been a great time to strike as I was in shambles too, but luckily I'm pretty alone on my spiral arm.

It was awesome, but we were equivalent in strength. I can totally see why AI who are equivalent are hesitant to attack, it's pretty much going to be a pyrrhic victory when you do, opening you up to your neighbors
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2016, 10:17:29 am »
I'm looking into getting Stellaris. Any word of how well the game runs on not-super-modern computers? ...like 6 year old laptops that weren't meant for gaming in the first place?
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:26 am »
Hah! That sounds pretty cool.

There's an unidentified fleet of "alpha" aliens prowling around the sector directly north of my home sector. Building up a military now;  however, my race has the "weakness" trait so they're gonna need a big one. Thankfully I've found a lot of resources and my science output is excellent so we'll see how it goes.

I'm looking into getting Stellaris. Any word of how well the game runs on not-super-modern computers? ...like 6 year old laptops that weren't meant for gaming in the first place?

Dunno! The game looks very nice but doesn't necessarily look groundbreaking. You may be able to get it to run on medium or lower settings. Then again maybe not. Have you compared your specs up against what the game asks for?

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 10, 2016, 10:43:07 am »
I was previously running games on my laptop,I had stutter and lag with any new game  I played

lag and jittery gameplay = not fun

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 10, 2016, 10:46:36 am »
Does weak effect both fleet strength and ground army strength? I'd always figured it was just ground army
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #399 on: May 10, 2016, 10:49:14 am »
Okay I have a few more hours on my playthrough now it's picking up. The AI is finally starting to push me around a bit, which is nice and as you start to get REALLY big (needing to use sectors) the game starts to get crazy in a good way. It seems like you need a good 10 hours just to get a foothold before things start to really happen.

I also found some cool stuff. Spoilers! No seriously, don't read this unless you want some spoilers stuff

If you uplift a primitive society it's worth it. They can become part of your empire and you are well on your way making a United Federation of Planets.

I also found a ringworld ... which looks wicked hard to interact with. The defense fleet was not kidding around ... but damn that thing looks awesome. I'm sure you can take it over and then who knows?
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 10, 2016, 10:52:19 am »
Does weak effect both fleet strength and ground army strength? I'd always figured it was just ground army

Weak only effects ground strength. I'm pretty sure in the description of Weak it says "army" strength, specifically.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #401 on: May 10, 2016, 11:07:38 am »
Yeah now that I think back, it was only army so my guys should be good.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 10, 2016, 11:13:54 am »
I also found some cool stuff. Spoilers! No seriously, don't read this unless you want some spoilers stuff

If you uplift a primitive society it's worth it. They can become part of your empire and you are well on your way making a United Federation of Planets.

There's actually two ways to uplift, but I think you're talking about "enlightenment" from the observation post. It's a lot more expensive and in the end the species becomes your vassal, which requires even more work to fully integrate into your empire. They also seem to mostly keep their ethics which could cause a clash with yours. If you research "Epigenetic Triggers" you can actually uplift a pre-sentient species (For me they have been rare than primitive civs). When you uplift you get to tweak their genetics to give them a new good trait or remove a bad one (this stacks with later genetic engineering techs) and in the period shortly after the uplift you get some events that let you steer their ethics a bit (though they'll still be a bit different. I did this with a species of desert lizard monsters and they've become a super useful part of my empire.

I also found a ringworld ... which looks wicked hard to interact with. The defense fleet was not kidding around ... but damn that thing looks awesome. I'm sure you can take it over and then who knows?

Oh boy, good luck. ;)

Going back to the AI being a bit passive. I think on top of what Rysworld said there is a *very* strong element of chance in what sort of AI civs spawn around you. I've had no hassle from the AI (except the fallen empire, OH GOD THE FALLEN EMPIRE) because almost every civ around my starting location was some combination of Xenophile, Pacifist or both. The sole militarist neighbor I had shared the fanatical spiritualist ethic with me so we became best friends, I made an alliance with them and now every couple of years they try to propose invading another civ and I veto it. I basically have the mad dog AI on a leash.  :D
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #403 on: May 10, 2016, 11:23:01 am »
Ah interesting Sam...

One thing I made a big mistake with was making way too many Frontier Outposts. Those use a ton of Influence Points and DAMN those are hard to get. Haven't gotten a technology or such to make them faster, but you really need a lot of them later and I'm still suck making 2 a month... Need to figure those out better.

Of course it's too late to remove those Outposts as I'll lose all the resources they are gathering for me...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2016, 11:25:07 am »
I know in the background of most Paradox games they grant a few civs an "advanced start" or some kind of "lucky civ" bonus. It could be that by chance your civ is not bordered by any of the lucky ones (which might be good) and your neighbors are just trying to keep it together.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:27:00 am by PatMan33 »