Author Topic: Paradox Games  (Read 51404 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Paradox Games
« on: September 09, 2007, 05:18:49 pm »
Europa Universalis 1 & 2 & 3
Crusader Kings
Victoria
Hearts of Iron 1 & 2
Diplomacy

This is the king company of all strategy games.

I like Europa Universalis 2 & 3, and Victoria the most.

Anyone like these too?

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox Games
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 08:23:07 pm »
Europa Universalis 3 was good.  I haven't played any of the others unless you count a demo for diplomacy, which I never got into. 

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:36:50 pm »
I looked at the Wikipedia article for Victoria, this is exactly what I was looking for when I made that topic so long ago. Thanks man, I'm downloading it now (Since it's about 20 bucks cheaper and a week faster, plus the game's four years old so I don't think they're making a lot of profit off it anymore).

Thanks man, it should be done by tomorrow morning sometime, I'll play it after school and see how it goes.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 12:56:44 pm »
It rocks. Try playing as the Confederacy and capture Washington and Philidelphia without losing provinces. It's a challenge but you get to pretty much dictate the terms for peace.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 01:36:09 pm »
I love EU 2, but for some reason I couldn't get into Victoria.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:32:27 pm »
Buh, I got Victoria but it keeps closing out because of an illegal operation or something. I guess I'll install the expansion.

I really like it, still learning how to play but that's alright. Seems fun.

EDIT: Meh, this game's alright. It has a very good premise, but they just didn't pull it off as well as they could. Wars are clunky and the economics are very complex. There's too many resources, both physical resources and "points" that you use for things. There's a TON. It was worth downloading at least.

What country should I play as? I've only done the US and Britain, maybe a continental European power would be better. There's always tomorrow...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:14:28 pm by 762 »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 12:45:03 pm »
Be the Confederacy. You may want to play on easy or very easy though if you still haven't got the hang of it. Failing that, play Mexico.

Britain is a really bad country to play unless you know what you're doing.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:13:07 pm »
I absolutely love Paradox games.. It's very important that you keep up with the patches though, because unfortunately they tend to deliver buggy games, which require immediate patching (and many follow-up patches). Essentially that's my only gripe with Paradox games..

I think Victoria is the best game for Empire building and insane (almost 'nerdy') details, that make it very challenging, but definitely a treat.. I remember playing as Japan, modernizing and conquering much of Asia and beating several European nations that planned to expand. Very interesting..

I uninstalled Europa Universalis III some time ago (even though I made a small graphics modification for it with historically accurate advisors and national ideas), mainly because I got a bit tired of the bugs and inexplicable AI decisions (backed up by the lack of historical accuracy which just seemed a bit off to me)..
Also, I'm pretty dissappointed they didn't decide to release the expansion pack Napoleon's Ambition to the gamestores. (Then again; paying 20 bucks for 16,18 MB's is a bit much..  ::) )

At the moment, I'm sticking with Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms, Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, and eagerly anticipating Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and ofcourse Spore and Empire: Total War for the future..

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:57:58 pm »
With the exception of Half Life and Team Fortress, you nicely summed up what I currently play or want to play.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 10:47:26 am »
I'm going to shamelessly bump this, while laughing at my past self not playing Valve games. Silly Brandon.

Yesterday I found this in the EUIII forums: Random Map Generator

It creates a random world, with completely different geography than the real world. It then breaks it into provinces and continents. It places cultures based on the continents and relative position to other cultures, then nations on top of that based on the locations of cultures.

This way, each time you play, colonization of the new world and the politics of Europe are completely different. it makes an amazing game even better.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 09:21:22 pm »
I'm going to shamelessly bump this, while laughing at my past self not playing Valve games. Silly Brandon.

Yesterday I found this in the EUIII forums: Random Map Generator

It creates a random world, with completely different geography than the real world. It then breaks it into provinces and continents. It places cultures based on the continents and relative position to other cultures, then nations on top of that based on the locations of cultures.

This way, each time you play, colonization of the new world and the politics of Europe are completely different. it makes an amazing game even better.

That's really cool.  Reminds me of Civilization.

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 02:45:52 pm »
Have been a huge fan of Paradox since I stumbled upon them via an impulse buy of Europa Universalis I in the fall of 2000. At the time I was really enjoying almost everything Strategy First was publishing (that changed not too long later).

Not everything Paradox has found a niche in my heart, however...

While I've loved Europa Universalis 1, 2, and now III (thanks so much for the random map generator link!!!), as well as Crusader Kings, others have left me flat - specifically the Hearts of Iron games and Victoria. Also, nobody wants to be reminded of the Svea Rike (aka "Europa Universalis: Crown of the North" in the US) games...

In general, however, the only real complaint I have about Paradox is simply this - a bit more QA time, stomping out bugs, would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:05 pm »
They do a lot of that in the forum. The developers post regularly.

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 03:33:46 am »
I guess I should clarify: More QA time...PRIOR to release!  ;)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 02:51:59 pm »
You i love these games. Paradox rocks! And i am not only saying that because i am a Swede ;)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)