Author Topic: NeverWinter Nights  (Read 3188 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
NeverWinter Nights
« on: June 21, 2005, 04:32:29 pm »
I just bought this game so its all new to me. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me? Is it a good game? (I hope so)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: NeverWinter Nights
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 05:32:23 pm »
It's not bad. Not Bioware's best work, but it's okay. My problem with the game (the single player campaign that is) is that the first chapter took forever to do and that the combat gets very repetitive. Also you have to break ... around 10,000 boxes in the game. And MAN that becomes old fast. But give it a try, I know a lot of people that liked it but I got bored of it about halfway through. The multiplayer and downloading new campaigns is very very cool if you want to give that a try.

Now if you want a REALLY great RPG for the PC definitely get Baldur's Gate II. That game is beyond amazing. Perhaps a bit too amazing as I know a lot of people who had a hard time stopping playing. It's almost like reading 5 amazing books simultaneously as that there are so many stories and sub-stories going on in that game, and they are all fantastic. I think that game is the best game Bioware ever did and their very best writing. The only problem is that if you want do everything and see everything in the game it will take you around 200+ hours, which is a bit insane. But quite a good value for your money!

Oh yeah, and it has the best character ever ... Minsc and his pet hamster Boo! Get this game!

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:47:31 pm »
Thanks Steve.. this will actually be my first RPG not counting any Sims games. Maybe if I decide I like this type of game I can try Baldur's Gate II. *adds to the list*

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 02:07:13 pm »
Neverwinter Nights is an old flame of mine. In actuality, I played the game for over 2 years. While never touching the single-player campaign (the game wasn't even made with a single-player RPG in mind, so Bioware ended up threwing in a half-assed rpg), I was fascinated with online play, Dungeon Master modes, and NWScript.

Online play in general on NWN is so diverse it can please everyone but the hardest of the hardcore Pen and Paper players. You could find the ultimate hack and slash campaign of your dreams that can take you from level one to level sixty, or you could play a true-to-the-game Dungeon Mastered game with absolute realistic human engineering.

The tools used to create such fantastic stories themselves are, in-fact, appliable to the DM client. Originally, Neverwinter Nights came with a very crappy Dungeon Master system in-hand. You merely had the ability to create/kill/invulnerabize/mortalize/possess/unposess/send away monsters, create items, and if you were skilled you could find a way to change base stats (Experience, STR, DEX, CON, ect). This was very frustrating to the community, so they eventually engineered a more powerful dungeon master system, the one I worked under for most of my gameplay experience. It allowed me to change the music, play sounds, puppeteer NPCs, change weather, instantly buff a monster, and many more useful additions were included. The DMFI tools are still available for any DM to use, and yes, players appreciate their use.

Most of my time was spent programming NWScript in the toolset. NWN's toolset, Aurora, included a lot with the original game and its expansionss, but with the community expansion pack that amount was exponentially increased. Just before it came out I was working on a massive conversion of all the D&D creatures I could find into NWN while keeping them as closely to the context in the books as possible. This included a lot of interesting programming, and some of my finest achievements were pronounced with my first major project, the Chaos Beast. In itself, the Chaos Beast is as similar to "The Thing" as it gets. Every 6 seconds after spawning (used spawn script, not heartbeat), the creature would change shape into many other creature types and would emit a contageous aura. This aura would infect both humans and NPCs, and effectively players and NPCs alike would eventually go insane and become Chaos Beasts.

I could go into a lot of the things I've done... but that's just one of my favorite things. I also worked greatly on converting BGII to NWN (elementally, not cloning), such as creating random weapon and clothing spawns on certain creatures along with loot dropped in bags a little way from an actual corpse that would eventually rot. I also made it so that anything dead could effectively be toyed with, so to speak. You can burn bodies, skin them (animals especially), eat, sacrifice, pray for, bury, and many other scripting proceedures...

... Sorry about the rant.

To LadyM

If you got the entire platinum edition, play Shadows of Undrentide and move into Hordes of the Underdark. Those two are actually connected games, but the original NWN is not connected to anything; not to mention it's just a terrible game to begin with. =)

However, I enjoyed SoU and HotU was just great.
BGII is THE fantasy rpg -- but it's getting older every day. If you have any spare change, it's worth every penny.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 02:12:44 pm by Jecrell »

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 04:20:52 pm »
Wow.. thanks for all the info Jecrell.. very impressive. Now I know who to ask when I have questions. Hope thats ok. The Chaos Beast sounds really cool. Thanks.

Twiggs

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 08:29:58 pm »
I never got into it beause the singleplayer sucked, was kinda dissapointed I bought it.  Like Dungeon Siege for some reason.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 11:09:25 am »
Well guys, I found a really great module if any of you have the original NWN and its expansions.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=4078

It's one of those great ones that got me playing into the wee hours of the morning.
There's only a few of those that really stand out of the hundreds of modules that have been made.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 12:31:40 pm »
Thanks for the find. Now since I'm a beginnner and maybe someone else out there might be wondering the same thing. What is a module and how does it work. Like I have all the expansions but if I wanted to play in the module you listed, how do I do it?

I basiclly got the game installed and am going through the tutorial.
<---extreme novice here

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 03:08:47 pm »
Thanks for the find. Now since I'm a beginnner and maybe someone else out there might be wondering the same thing. What is a module and how does it work. Like I have all the expansions but if I wanted to play in the module you listed, how do I do it?

I basiclly got the game installed and am going through the tutorial.
<---extreme novice here

Disregard =)

Offline Rogue

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 02:42:46 pm »
... My problem with the game (the single player campaign that is) is that the first chapter took forever to do and that the combat gets very repetitive. Also you have to break ... around 10,000 boxes in the game. And MAN that becomes old fast. ...

I completely agree with what you say about the chests. The problem for me wasn't having to unlock/break so many of them. The problem lies in the fact that you are rarely rewarded for your trouble. Most of those chests contain nothing of real value (perhaps 1 in 50?)

But it isn't a bad game. Its just strange that Bioware would not realise during playtesting how tedious this was. After all, these are the same guys that made the brilliant Baldur's Gate 2.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost...

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 12:41:42 am »
The original NWN campaign is made strictly for multiplayer, it's really tedious and awful singleplayer. You can't play either of the expansions in multiplayer, but they actually manage to be fun in singleplayer mode. Apparently they just couldn't make a story that was fun both ways; honestly I don't think many mod-makers can accomplish it either.

Honestly I didn't get much into NWN multiplayer, on the internet anyway. I played with a friend a few times, it wasn't really all that great... hrm, someday I really need to give that a shot, I guess.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 01:18:12 pm »
If you find yourself truely bored with the original singleplayer game. The internet multiplayer on Gamespy is just as boring in my opinion.

The best place to find true Neverwinter Nights multiplayer is http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/. Where games are organized by hardcore fans with professional dungeon masters and incredible campaigns. In all honesty I still prefer roleplaying in a campaign to grinding on a NWN playerworld on Gamespy.

It's the closest thing to pen and paper.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 06:28:17 pm »
I've just started up a NWN dedicated server over the last few days for some friends.
We'll probably be playing a few days a week if anyone would like to join.
Reply and I'll send over the server info.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 11:32:51 am »
I just picked up the Diamond edition and I'm tinkering with it. I'm planning on running a server this winter if time permits.

-Lego

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 01:14:45 pm »
So Yoss and I have been playing NWN again on a server called Higher Ground. If anyone is interested in joining our party please let me know.

HG Forum
http://highergroundpoa.proboards.com/

HG Wiki
http://wiki.hgweb.org/wiki/Main_Page

NWN was free on GoG awhile back. Hopefully you picked it up then or have a copy still around.

Note i use to play, mod and even DM NWN. Some of my animals even made it in the CEP.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:16:37 pm by Hydromancerx »