Author Topic: Myst Junk and Cyan Sperging  (Read 130 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Myst Junk and Cyan Sperging
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:20:20 am »
Hey it's my favorite game series! Everyone loves Myst. Well I just got this email from Cyan and they've released some digital (awww...) books that outline some sort of game based upon discovering Ages and exploring them. There's also some supplemental stories, one of which looks really interesting because (correct me if I'm wrong) the cover of the "shifting plate" story appears to be Gahreesen, the Age with the massive rotating prison. Definitely into some explanation of that Age since there were clearly rooms and puzzles left unfinished in the final game.

Check it out: Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of MYST and Beyond
There's a bunch of other stuff including the story I mentioned in their "digital downloads" section.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: Myst Junk and Cyan Sperging
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:46:11 pm »
This looks like fun, but I still have a copy of the 1995 Myst prequel, Book of Atrus, on my reading list first.
I picked it up at a used bookstore for a dollar a while back.
No idea if Myst-based literature will be any good, but I want to see more people put their hands on book portals and go all wobbly into wherever.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 08:39:33 pm »
I thought all three of the Myst novels were pretty great. The books enhance the games and the games enhance the books. Combined they are why the Myst series is one of my very favorites.

The Book of Atrus is by far the best and interfaces a great deal with Riven and Myst in that order. It goes into detail the fissure between Atrus and his father Gehn over their interpretation of The Art. And that conflict is at the core of the story of Myst and Riven, though Myst never really discusses it in any detail at all and Riven only gives a few glimpses as to what is going on. It places all of the principle characters in the two games at their final locations before The Stranger (the player) arrives from the void. You also gain some knowledge of D'ni, both the people and the city.

The Book of Ti'ana is also really good and gives you a great deal of history of D'ni and its people. It describes the civilization before the collapse and also explains what exactly happened that wiped the D'ni out. This one is deep into the world building and justifies why everything you explore in the games is desolate and mostly abandoned. It is told from the perspective of Atrus' grandmother.

The Book of D'ni is only okay. It starts off good and has some interesting bits but overall it's just okay. You discover more about the ancient D'ni and when their race split in the distant past, as told from the perspective of Atrus and Catherine.

There has been a rumored fourth book since 2005. The Book of Marrim, but it has never come out. We got a small preview of it back when Myst V came out but only the Euros got it and I had to read a PDF. Seems to take place with old Atrus after Myst V with his project to rebuild D'ni. Dunno if any of that will ever be fully released though.

I can definitely recommend the books. You should pick up the second one since it is of the same quality of the first. And you should also play through the games as well before you read the books. That would be the best way to go about it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:40:32 pm »
Cyan are also working on a new game but it is a VR game so I'm not too interested unless it is either really really good or gets a standard release.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 01:19:00 am »
I played Myst, Riven, and Exile a long while back. (And by played, I mean looked up hints on the internet for literally almost every puzzle because I didn’t fully understand what I was supposed to be doing.) The games were and are gorgeous so I appreciate the book breakdown. Thank you!
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 04:17:39 pm »
This looks like fun, but I still have a copy of the 1995 Myst prequel, Book of Atrus, on my reading list first.
I picked it up at a used bookstore for a dollar a while back.
No idea if Myst-based literature will be any good, but I want to see more people put their hands on book portals and go all wobbly into wherever.

Ooh, I read that one and its sequel a few years back.  Really cool books.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 06:13:27 pm »
Together they form a very tight package.

If you've played the games and enjoyed them I strongly recommend you read the books.