Author Topic: Noasaurs -- My New Creature  (Read 8040 times)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Noasaurs -- My New Creature
« on: September 07, 2007, 08:16:58 pm »
I don't think they're brains are capable of being awed of anything but seeing a galaxy-destroying weapon in action, and then being told they are now it's proud owners.

Don't worry, though. They're quite friendly once you get to know them."
   --- Iniros Olus

Thanks to Eligecos for the quick sketch for visualization.

Anatomy: While small by many races' standards (a whopping 3 feet tall at best), the Noasaurs make up for it in strength. Hailing from the high-gravity world of Mandari, these warriors have developed unusualy strong muscles, able to lift nearly five times their weight (approx. 400 lbs of lifting power) They are covered in dark tan to white fur, coarse in most places, but soft on the back and sholders and long running down the spine. Their long, jutting tusks don't seve much purpose nowadays, but still retain their place as a symbol of beauty and strength. Their hands and feet have three digits each, all ending with a thick, hoof-like nail.

Although they appear to be similar to Terran mammals when adults, their anatomy blurs the line between mammal and reptile almost completely. As with both clades, Noasaur embryos are enclosed in an amniotic membrane. For those of us who haven't a clue what that means, peel a hardboiled egg; the thin membrane in between the white and the shell is the amniotic membrane. Although they are technically coldblooded, like reptiles, their body temperature is kept near constant by use of an insulating layer of fat. Their skin, plainly visible on the hairless young, is covered in scales, ranging from large plates on the back to tiny pebbles on the hands and face.

Further confusing the issue, Noasaurs lay eggs, usually four at a time, but nurse their young through their version of mammary glands. They also possess sweat glands, characteristic of mammals, and a three-chambered heart, associated with reptiles. They even have some features that don't belong to either clade, namely a birdlike lung system and syrinx.

When the first scouts found the planet, they'd taken some eggs with them for study. When they hatched, the scaled and apparently coldblooded young led them to classify them as reptiles. They called them Mandiherbous Noasaur, and the primitives, believing these giants to be some higher life form, accepted the name as their own. While these ancient accounts have been long forgotten by both parties, the name stuck until the present day.

Culture: According to the unwritten laws of Noasaur society, each individual must use these three rules to guide their life

1) Keep family members, and your bonds with them, strong and healthy
2) Perfection isn't a single class; diversify, for you have more capabilities than you think
3) Destroy the enemy, no questions asked.

Family: To the Noasaurs, one's family includes all living ancestors, siblings, spouses and respective family, decendants, and all good friends. While they are war-like away from home, with their family they become docile, very social, and overall rather fun to be with. Often times they will celebrate good days with large amounts of eating and drinking, along with telling war stories to anyone within earshot.

Classes: All Noasaurs have a set of armor, and on this set they paint the symbols of the classes they have experience in. These classes are like jobs, and fall into four general groups: Athletic, Accademic, Artistic, and Social. Athletic classes focus on using one's body, and include soldiers, builders, security, matinence, and transport. Accademic classes focus on the mind, and include technology, sciences, doctors, business, historians, and law. Artistic classes focus on latteral and creative thinking, along with creative expression. This includes designers, philosophers, artists, inventors, bodyguards, sabotage and tactics (the last three, to the Noasaurs, are artforms in themselves) Finally, Social classes focus on interactions between sapients, including generals, trainers, educators, caretakers, mediators, and therapists.

(Note; Athletic symbols are painted on the chest/back plates of armor. Artistic symbols are tattoed on the face behind the eye. Academic symbols are painted on the right upper arm/thigh plates. Social symbols are painted on the left upper arm/thigh plates)

Athletic classes
Tank Buster -- Military class. Uses a rocket launcher, bombs, or similar devices to destroy enemy planet-based vehicles. However, most are not above setting traps or blowing groups of enemies to bits with their explosives.

Storm Team -- Military class. These Noasaurs usually form the front lines in ground battles, blasting away at any enemy in their path. Their main goals are to break down defenses and to inflict as much damage to the enemy army as possible.

Artistic classes
Philosopher -- Civilian class. Deep, deep thinkers. Using lateral and creative means, they seek to answer the questions that standard research can't handle.

Inventor -- Civilian class. Develop new concepts for technology. Generally find new ways of doing things or solving problems.

Academic classes
Pilot -- Military class. Trained in combat with and control of military vehicles. Most will specialize in one type of vehicle, such as aircraft, tanks, or space fighters.

General Health -- Military and Civilian class. Diagnoses and treats all health problems, except those which require surgery.

Social classes
General -- Military class. The closest thing Noasaurs have to a political leader, they make the major decisions, such as declaring war and setting laws.

Military Trainer -- Military class. Educate and train those aspiring to get a military class. Teach advanced gun operation, basic tactics, obedience, cooperation, and advanced physical conditioning.

(More of these later)

Warfare: Due to aspects of their past that I'll get into later, one of the greatest joys in a Noasaur's life is the heat of battle. The adrenaline that rushes into their system becomes nearly addictive after the first time. Competitive games, combat simulators, and thrill rides help ease what they call "battle withdrawal." The bigger the better, be it gun, explosion, damage, or victory. They have an extensive military program, and over 5/6 of adult Noasaurs are enlisted.

Rise to Power
Pre-space

Hundreds of years ago, when the Thean Sanction was a single, seamless, and expanding entity, scouts stumbled across a large, nearly barren world. They were about to place it in the "fixer-upper" category when they picked up on radio transmissions from the surface. Excited about finding a new ally, they moved in. The team quickly found it's way into a truely massive battle, with corpses littering the ground for miles apon miles. This was the final, climactic confrontation between the two nations of the day. The Mandiar, believing in a military-ruled government, sent out hoards of troops against the Ganis, who favored a de-centralized, council-controled rule. The hope was to finish them off by killing each and every Ganis, man, woman, or child. However, with their superior technology, the Ganis were holding their own. The fighting would have continued untill one side destroyed the other, if it weren't for the scouts.

By unwittingly stumbling into one of the greatest wars in Noasaur history, the scouts were quickly cut down under a hail of bullets, grenades, rockets, missiles, and other things you don't like to have comming your way. Astonished by what they had just killed, both generals called a cease-fire to inspect the remains. Although the war stopped, tensions remained high as both nations studied every aspect of the Lagat scouts; their weapons, anatomy, cybernetics, and even their ships once they were found. Realizing that they were not alone, and potentially in danger from these invaders, the two nations called off the war and pooled their resources into reverse-enginering the technology, specificly the Lagat's cybernetics and space-craft...

Early Space

Over the decades, the Noasaurs quickly learned the secrets of space travel from their captured Lagat craft. Not more than 50 years after the discovery, the first space-worthy ship was launched from the outskirts of Kaj'ait'lal, the planet capitol at the time. This first successful trip spured them on, with improvments being developed at an alarming rate. By 81 ACE (After Common Enemy), they had colonies on all terrestrial planets in the system and were taking their first steps outside. Now all they needed was a destination. They scanned the heavens intensely, eventally settling on a system only 3.9 lightyears away. Ships were built, crews selected and trained, and on the 21st day of Reform, 90 ACE, the Iron Saber traveled out of the range of communications and had officially left the Mandari star system.

After nearly four years of drifting through the blackness, the Iron Saber found herself in the Indiannus star system. The crew quickly worked to set up colonies on the outer worlds, their greatest scientists building advanced communications devices they'd been developing for four years. As they pushed inward, the crew heard the voices of their commanders for the first time in four years. Things continued as planned, untill the Noasaurs came apon the lush world of Indiannus itself. Either exterminating or capturing the large predators of the world, they stormed through the jungles, seemingly unstoppable. That is, untill they stumbled into Unnarry territory. Hundreds were killed by the deadly poison before they were able to track down the creature responsible. Amazed by the little spikeball's effective toxin, they were ever so carefully shipped to a lab where they were studied and a synthetic version of the chemical was produced. It was quickly adopted as the coating of choice for Stealth Ops swords.

More ships were built, with better technology, and soon there was a near-constant flow of traffic between Mandari and Indiannus. A FTL drive was developed, and soon the Noasaurs were on their way to the stars. Esoobac was their next stop. Things went the same as before, only faster this time. Colonies were established at breakneck speed, and they quickly found the Crunchbites! once they landed on Esoobac itself. They grew impatient; they hadn't found any sapient life at all, much less the original visitors that had inspired them to leave their planet in the first place.

The third time prooved to be the charm when the Noasaurs tried again. While they hadn't found the Lagat, they had discovered their first intellegent species so far. The Defal were terrified of these newcommers, untill they discovered that they were vegitarians... and only 3 feet tall. Tensions eased, and they became fast friends; the Defal had some new bodyguards, and the Noasaurs had someone with a new perspective to talk to. Things had grown boring by 120 ACE, and the unusual ideas were welcomed. Unfortunately, within a few decades, a new Defal leader emerged and banned his people from convesing with the "Unsophisticated barbarians". The Noasaurs pulled out of the system shortly afterwards, paying one final act of respect to their allies. Eventually, nearly 300 years down the line, Defal leadership shifted again, and they began searching the cosmos for their long-lost allies...

Interstellar Space

By 230 ACE, the Noasaurs had the beginnings of an Empire, with three systems fully captured and nearly 10 partially captured. Morale was ever so slowly declining, as establishing colonies on barren worlds only to move onto the next one had become monotonus. Most longed for the company of their old allies, for someone who had found that running and hiding was the best way to solve a problem. It would have been a refreshing and humorous break, but none was supplied.

In 237 ACE, they stumbled across another sapient race, the Guptunians. They got along swimmingly, combining the Noasaur's love for fermented drinks with the Guptunian's prowess at making them. Life was exciting again, untill 253 ACE, when the Theans discovered these newcommers among their allies. They offered an alliance in turn; Protection in return for undying loyalty. The warriors weren't particularly fond of the deal, to say the least, and flatly refused. Enraged, the Theans pushed harder, only to be met with the same blunt refusal. After a third attempt, the Noasaurs grew impatient and threatened to declare war on the Theans if they continued. Watching from the sidelines, the Guptunians felt torn between their allies. Eventually they made a deal with the Noasaurs; if they left and didn't spark a war now, the Guptunians would call on them whenever they were in need of an army. They agreed, and once again the Noasaurs pulled out of their ally's system.

Throughout the 240's and into the 250's, Noasaur forces continued with colonising. They found the Gectu's planet of Urtu, but were quickly chaced away by a large Thean fleet. They had massive losses, and were searching for easy targets to capture and build up their strength. One of those targets was Xomeic. Assumed to be lifeless due to it's helium atmosphere, breath mask-clad soldiers claimed the surface without worry. However, once they explored the caves, they discovered the sapient Noxom living beneath their oxygen-filled domes. Relations were sparse at best, as the Noxom wanted nothing to do with the aliens. Eventually communications were established, and the Noasaurs learned of the comming rebellion against Thean rule. They were intrigued, but held off. They figured that by staying neutral, they could strike both parties while they were down...

Present Day

As the Soinak rebellion flared up, the Noasaurs waited on the sidelines as planned. For a while, it seemed as if the Theans were holding their own against the zealots, keeping them contained to a few systems. Upset that their plan wasn't working, the Noasaurs inspected the remains of battle-worn Thean craft, learning their technology, and using their skills of sabotage to destroy it. The Theans suffered massive losses, and soon the Soinak gained the upper hand, storming across worlds and slaughtering millions. Now the Noasaurs were faced with the opposite problem, but try as they might, they couldn't sabotage the Soinak's organic weapons. They knew that if they didn't act quickly, the Theans would be stomped out of existence and the Soinak would remain strong, creating the exact same, if not worse problem as before.

So they took matters into their own hands again, and began a campaign to deal a deadly blow to the Soinak forces. As Soinak-owned systems fell rapidly, the Theans took this as a sign that Soong itself had sent down a plague on the enemy, and alltogether stopped direct confrontation with the Soinak, believing that their god would take care of things for them. They weren't far from the truth; the Noasaur armies swept through Soinak installations like a force of nature, wiping out nearly half of the rebellious population by 330 ACE. The Soinak threw themselves into a panic, rapidly developing new bio-weapons as quickly as the Noasaurs would make them useless. The Noasaurs were thrilled, the Soinak were terrified, and the Theans were sipping Red Rockets in hot tubs while all this took place.

However, the Soinak eventually hit upon a winning idea, namely the Clu. They took the allready dangerous predators and made them even more so. These super-soldiers held the Noasaurs back... until they nuked the entire planet. After this final assault, the Soinak were deemed to be just as weak and pathetic as the Theans were. They pulled out, and waited for the rebellion to resume. It did, only against the Noasaurs.

Which brings us to the present day, 390 ACE. The Theans are all happy-hunky-dory, calling on outside races to do their exploration and first contacts for them. The Soinak have gone into hiding to formulate a truly massive attack against the Noasaurs, who, having suspected something, are wearing down the Soinak defenses to stop them before they get a chance to set anything up. However, during this process, they discovered that their job had been done for them by the Communicants, entangling them in the comming war...

Comming soon... My own picture (done), pre-sapience, classes (working on it), and their rise to power in Thean space (done).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:23:01 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: Noasaurs -- My New Creature
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:18:46 pm »
Looks like they may Ally with the Elbeasts.  Provided that you can figure out how to make your creature look VERY unappetizing.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

gec05

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »
I guess you had no luck with the sketch, huh? I think I'll make a final one for you.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 08:20:35 pm »
Go away Helloworld.

I can't wait to see these guys in action Darth, you'll flesh them out really quickly!  :)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 08:31:50 pm »
No, Eligecos, I've got it. My computer's still a bit disoriented since I reinstalled the operating system, but I'll have it back on it's feet within the week.

gec05

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:33:16 pm »
Well maybe I can do a new pose of it doing something more action-ie.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:34:17 pm »
I appreciate that. :)

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Indescenant-wrath in a box
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 09:11:13 pm »
Really cool creature Darth  ;D. I can already tell by the rough sketch that they are going to look awesome. The description kinda reminds me of a Quilboar from WoW, but that's only made better since they are one of my favorite races on that game, lol.

When you called them Noasaurs I expected a reptillian creature. Boy was I wrong  :D.
I have photo paint, Taven style yarr :P.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 09:23:17 pm »
Realy? I based the design off of an extremely obscure Star Wars bounty hunter by the name of Jaing. Look him up on wookieepedia if you realy want to know about 'im.

As for the name, it's a misnomer that has it's origins elsewhere. They have some history that I can't post here, notably a major war with a race of humans that split off from Earth. Curious? It's comming up on Worldrealms.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 09:01:01 am »
Oh dear. I may just need to visit worldrealms after all  :P

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 09:07:07 am »
Really cool creature. They remind me of the Forthi. Probably because they're short and they have three fingers... I think that's the only connection... ;)

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 10:17:34 am »
super warrior midgets!!! cool!  ;D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 06:02:24 pm »
Here you all go;

I planned on drawing a gun for him, but I grew impatient, so I shopped a few Halo guns together. That's a thinned down particle beam rifle with the handle from a plasma sword as the trigger, if anyone's curious.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 06:05:30 pm »
Do you think the Elbeasts could sell the Noasaurs some of their Puree guns, or would the Noasaurs not accept them?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 06:11:23 pm »
Awesome pic, and also an awesome gun!

Orange critters FTW!

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.