Poll

Do you like the idea that in-game you can only gain new body parts by finding them throughout the landscap or eating/befriending other creatures?

yes
no
apathetic

Author Topic: Finding body parts, yay or nay?  (Read 10998 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Finding body parts, yay or nay?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 05:06:36 am »
[pointlesspost] And why double post? whhhhyyy? :P [/pointlesspost]
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 08:01:56 am »
The evo points don't let you buy parts more than let you use them. I don't think that evo points let you unlock/buy a part. You have to have that certain part unlocked already, and then it costs evo points to put it on your creature. So let's say a part is 100 points and you have 200 points. You have to unlock that part by finding it (or any other way you can get it). Then if you put it on your creature, you're down to 100 points. But if you take it off, you're back up to 200. So getting DNA points has nothing to do with whether you find parts or not. At least that's what I understand.

Get it?
But if it works like this, it would be harder or impossible to get certain creature parts (there is more than 500 part, if they would be all hidden somewhere, the world would be full of body parts, so probably there is only a few) and that would seriously limit my creativity.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 08:23:00 am »
And that's why the brain level thing is probably still in.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 08:26:01 am »
and that would seriously limit my creativity.

there's no other way....CHEAT! ;D
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 08:46:42 am »
Personally, I liked the original idea of having to purchase one of the four brain segments with DNA. That gave it an element of evolving due to the increasing complexity of the species. Made it more realistic.
I have to agree with that, finding body parts like their pieces of equipment seems a little too unrealistic(even for Spore, yes I know the game isn't made to appear realistic ok?).  Although some of the solutions you guys named seemed like they would work pretty well, like paying extra to unlock more parts.

Does anyone know if when a part is unlocked if it's unlocked throughout the whole game(meaning you can use it if you start up a new game without having to unlock it) or if it's only unlocked for the game file with the specific creature you're using?

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 09:42:58 am »
it's unlocked for the rest of your game if I'm right :)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 09:43:49 am »
I assume it's unlocked for good on that save file, unless you tell the game otherwise. Since you can start as many creatures as you want from the beginning to space in the same save file.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 10:50:58 am »
I assume it's unlocked for good on that save file, unless you tell the game otherwise. Since you can start as many creatures as you want from the beginning to space in the same save file.
when you say save file do you mean a single galaxy or user profile?

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 12:58:15 pm »
I was aiming for user profile but i don't know if darkdragon meant it as well

Offline EvoMan

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 03:15:23 pm »
To make it more realistic it should cost points to both put on a limb/eye/mouth/whatever and cost points to take it off. That would add realism. It would also be nice if you could only expand your vertebrae one at a time or something, along with only being able to move or change certain body parts within a certain range. As would having to progess slowly towards, say, an herbivorous mouth. Then, if you decided to become a carnivor, you would need to go through successive generations that slowly added to your carnivore trait and subtracted from your herbivorous trait. It seems in game the mouth is essentially representative of the digesive tract and I would find it rather hard to play if I could go from a cow eating grass to a cow chomping down on a squirrel. ::)

Offline SoulChaser

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Just seeking........
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 03:36:23 pm »
the only way that works, evoman, will be with your own restrictions on your gameplay......you can go with mouths from 1 to 12.....

and i think these parts will only be available on this creature....if you start up with another one, you will have to get them again....
Who's a newb to tell us what's most likely! Arrrgh!  ;D

a penguin a day keeps the bunseeds away

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 03:47:41 pm »
Two questions.....

1. Since when was there "more than 500 parts," since when did we how many parts there are, at all?
2. Since when do we know ANYTHING about how save-files work?

Obviously these are rhetorical questions... because we don't and you guys made that stuff up.

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 04:47:52 pm »
You make a good arguement Bluelightning...

Except for the fact that all three of these were covered. (although breifly) (and I only remember in small chuncks)(ooh, and I might be slightly off... )

1. Early, early video Will says this. [somebody tell me the link so I can put it here] (sorry I'm not a spore link expert)

2. As I remember Will Wright started a new game in more than one video and it asked you to pick a planet. And then he started with a different species to show tide pool, and it was the same galaxy, only he had to pick a new planet. When he went to the load screen, there were two or three planets with files on them and each one had a different species. [someone just link that vid too so he can see for himself and I don't have to explain]

I'm really sorry my post count is so low and probably none of you respect me at all because of this, but I've been trying to respond meaningfully for months now... The number on the left is slowly rising...
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline SoulChaser

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Just seeking........
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 04:53:39 pm »
in the article I recently read....i told in the gc tread... there's the statement that you can go further, but never go back, until you die......

so I think savegames will work like: there's one slot, you start with your creature, and the game makes saves and/or autosaves....(if there are bluescreens.....)and of course internal editor-leaving-saves......(for dying....)
if you want to start with another creature, you have to get another slot.....a whole galaxy will star from nothing.....

maybe, there's only one slot,.....annd when you're in space, you can decide to start over on a new planet......everything else stays, but you start from nothing.....

but of course, that's speculation.......

btw: there was one quote from WW or soebody of the stuff, that there are more than 400 parts....don't remind where this was.....never heard of 500

-markonite was faster....grml  ;)
Who's a newb to tell us what's most likely! Arrrgh!  ;D

a penguin a day keeps the bunseeds away

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 05:09:51 pm »
-markonite was faster....grml  ;)

Thank you! Oh yeah, and don't forget the "2" It's important to me. (just sayin')
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon