Poll

Do you like the idea that in-game you can only gain new body parts by finding them throughout the landscap or eating/befriending other creatures?

yes
no
apathetic

Author Topic: Finding body parts, yay or nay?  (Read 11009 times)

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Finding body parts, yay or nay?
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:12:17 am »
I've been reading the more recent spore articles and was a little saddened that you can only get new body parts if you find them in fossils, eat another creature with them or make friends with creatures that have that body part.  I understand it helps control how you get parts and such but still, it doesn't make sense in a game modeled after evolution.  You should be able to adapt new parts to get on top of the food chain or gain an edge against predators.  It seems like you'll just be rehashing all the parts already available in the environment.  What do you guys all think?

Offline Innovan

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Finding body parts, yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:31:10 am »
It's probably to force you to explore the planet more.

If you look at the staff psychologists behind Halo 3 development, they track all player movements instant to instant. The "ideal" map is currently considered one with an even distribution of aggregate player locality with no hot spots.

Considering you can finish this phase in 30 90 minutes, I doubt it'll take that much moving around. But it will encourage you to eat one of everything and to explore a larger area.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:13:26 am by Innovan »

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:42:36 am »
No, the creature phase takes 1h30m, the cell phase takes 30 minutes, they probably take even a little more because overall, to get to space it takes 9h without even playing with the editors.

As for the parts, there are some other ways to get them:

- Eat certain plants.
- Unlock brain level x (this is probably still in unless they manage to give you all the bodyparts by killing, befriending, eating and searching).
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:55:42 am »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of it as incentive to explore, but still, if you don't want to explore you're going to explore as little as possible and see "finding" parts as a nuissance.

And eating plants and brain levels?  I think that's pretty cool, that may mean your creature could have parts that no one else has.  Do you have a link to the article that says that?

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:19:53 am »
You can earn body parts by killing, and finding fossils, but it wasn't said that this is the only way.

I guess it will work like an RPG, where you can get a free version of thing from looting, eg. health potion, but you can also loot money, and buy health potion from the shop.
So getting new parts is not really "unlocking" but getting a free version, but you can buy any other for DNA points.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Com

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Wandering the wastes with a jackhammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:36:34 am »

I kinda like the finding body parts approach better then the i have brain lvl 2 and now 50 new parts magically unlock.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:37:42 am »
The brain level was the old method they had, I don't know if it's still in.

As for the plants, it was said on some article but I can't remember which one :\
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:03:16 pm »
You can earn body parts by killing, and finding fossils, but it wasn't said that this is the only way.

I guess it will work like an RPG, where you can get a free version of thing from looting, eg. health potion, but you can also loot money, and buy health potion from the shop.
So getting new parts is not really "unlocking" but getting a free version, but you can buy any other for DNA points.

This idea is probably the best. It's the best of both systems.
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:11:50 pm »

I'm sure this will be in, if you look at the new pictures, you can see there are still evo points (DNA symbol), and evo. points' only purpose is to buy body parts, so there is still some kind of buying.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:07:37 pm »
I'm not quite sure where this concept came from, but I'm pretty sure it's in my mind because of the way RTS's work and maybe 2 or 3 city builders...
--Anyways, I think that you will get evo points from eating things (plants/animals/whatever) and also from communicating and socializing. I think you will spend these points on parts that are already unlocked (basic parts) or, for a perspectively larger amount of points, you can unlock parts yourself.

Like maybe you have this arm, and it costs pretty cheap, like 10 points. BUT, if you spend 150 points, you can unlock this other arm that's way cooler. This new arm might cost 15 points, but at least now you have access to it and it is probably better than the cheaper one, (in one way or another) [and when I say better, I mean that it fits your style of play more] <this could be procedurally chosen>
So you would not automatically get the new part, only the ability to buy them from now on.
(Like building a barracks so you can make warriors; the warriors are cheap, but you have to invest in the structure to get them)

I figure you will also unlock parts for doing well. (eating the alpha-predator, making friends with the mean/ all fearfull tribe of Willosaurs, Finding something hidden in an out of the way place) that kind of stuff.

If anyone has any contrasting ideas, or would like to add on, please do.
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:43:37 pm »

I'm sure this will be in, if you look at the new pictures, you can see there are still evo points (DNA symbol), and evo. points' only purpose is to buy body parts, so there is still some kind of buying.

The evo points don't let you buy parts more than let you use them. I don't think that evo points let you unlock/buy a part. You have to have that certain part unlocked already, and then it costs evo points to put it on your creature. So let's say a part is 100 points and you have 200 points. You have to unlock that part by finding it (or any other way you can get it). Then if you put it on your creature, you're down to 100 points. But if you take it off, you're back up to 200. So getting DNA points has nothing to do with whether you find parts or not. At least that's what I understand.

Get it?
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 01:51:32 pm »
I'm not apethetic about it... I do care.
But I want to see what it's like in the game first before I jump to any conclusions, so right now I have no real opinion.

So I voted "Apathetic."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:59:03 pm by Blulightning »

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 04:22:16 pm »

The evo points don't let you buy parts more than let you use them. I don't think that evo points let you unlock/buy a part. You have to have that certain part unlocked already, and then it costs evo points to put it on your creature. So let's say a part is 100 points and you have 200 points. You have to unlock that part by finding it (or any other way you can get it). Then if you put it on your creature, you're down to 100 points. But if you take it off, you're back up to 200. So getting DNA points has nothing to do with whether you find parts or not. At least that's what I understand.

Get it?

I completely agree with it. But there could be a way to purchase new parts without finding/eating/socializing them.

Perhaps instead of 100 points for a leg you already unlocked, you can spend 300 and unlock a new kind of leg. And then spend 110 for the new leg to get added to your creature. (It costs more because it's probably better)
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 07:29:56 pm »
Personally, I liked the original idea of having to purchase one of the four brain segments with DNA. That gave it an element of evolving due to the increasing complexity of the species. Made it more realistic.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 07:37:30 pm »
I think the brain evolution and availibility of parts will work together.

I think you'll be able to find parts and all the regular way, then when you decide to get smarter and evolve your brains (mmm, brains.... *drools*) then you may unlock say... 10 new parts that aren't available on your planet, or perhaps just random.
Then you go out and find more parts, and you continue until you evolve the final brain, which perhaps unlocks all the remaining available parts.

But who knows.... maybe replayability is more of a part of the game than they've let us know.
You might need to create several species in order to unlock all of the parts.
We can't know.