Author Topic: EVE online (Now bigger and better than ever!)  (Read 40176 times)

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
EVE online (Now bigger and better than ever!)
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:03:26 pm »
Alright. I've checked (and double checked; EVE comes up with 300 pages of results (duh) and EVE online has 32 pages) and all I could find on this game is a Card game. So, here goes:

EVE online is a (not free, sorry, only a 14 day trial) massively multi player space MMORPG set in a different galaxy. Everyone starts out as a fairly open character (in this game, there are no classes, nor any levels), flying a small frigate. You can, from then, carve your way into the player-based economy, by either mining, fighting, crafting, or other professions (such as hacking, salvaging, archeology etc.). Quite a few of the stations on the outer rim of 0.0 (no police, free for all combat) are player owned, and epic battles come quickly and often in this wilderness. Also, the game is featuring constant updates, one of the next coming up being the ability to leave your ship and walk around stations.

My Battlecruiser; the Pride of Maeus (You can name your ships), currently docked in a station.

Another one of my cruisers, taking in the midst of a PvE battle (I won't post screenshots of PvP for security reasons on my location and alliance)

Anyway, if I get enough players, we could form a corporation, maybe eventually build our own station.

Link is here: http://www.eve-online.com/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 05:27:08 pm by Mae »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: EVE online (Now bigger and better than ever!)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:29:16 pm »
im not going to pay for a game like that...i got freelancer anyway

i also heard it takes ages to get anywhere

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 07:52:58 pm »

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 02:34:37 am »
I used to have that Battlecruiser! :O

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:59:26 am »
Hacking? Archeology? I've played the trial once, but I didn't come across that. Could you tell me more about it?

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:12:32 am »
I've always been curious about trying Eve Online.

However, when I finally bought the game and convinced my mum to pay for it, she decided that she didn't want put in her card till after the free trial....
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 07:26:29 am »

However, when I finally bought the game and convinced my mum to pay for it, she decided that she didn't want put in her card till after the free trial....

So? Did you play it or not? Your account is kept forever, even on a trial.

Hacking? Archeology? I've played the trial once, but I didn't come across that. Could you tell me more about it?

Hacking and Archeology are newer features, used when you "explore", using scanners and probes to find rifts full of ancient ships and dead planets, where you can find various artifacts (in space, you cant go on the planet until they implement walking characters.) Hacking is similar.

I used to have that Battlecruiser! :O

It's sweet, isn't it?

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 08:14:00 am »

It's sweet, isn't it?

Yeah. I once lost it in a battle against a big group of NPC pirates (Was a pirate myself), but I cheated CCP into giving me a new one because I blamed lag.  :D

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 08:40:20 am »

So? Did you play it or not? Your account is kept forever, even on a trial.

No, it was two (?) years ago and I can't remeber what happened, but I couldn't get online.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 09:06:25 am »
Can I run it on 56k?
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 09:16:28 am »
From the FAQ:
Quote from: eve-online.com FAQ
What kind of Internet connection is required?
EVE is designed to run on a 56Kbps modem. Naturally, better connections will enhance game performance, but dial-up users are still able to play and enjoy EVE.
So I guess that's a 'yes'.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 09:20:04 am »
I used to play that. (The trials at least, lol.) In my latest trial I played a Caldari Miner/Salvager. Good money.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 06:01:28 pm »
Are the devs still cheating? They've made it quite clear they made the game for them to enjoy. No matter what changes Eve does, until it in the hands of another company I'm not looking it's way again.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 06:03:32 pm »
Are the devs still cheating? They've made it quite clear they made the game for them to enjoy. No matter what changes Eve does, until it in the hands of another company I'm not looking it's way again.

That's pretty interesting, can you explain it a bit more?
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 06:14:52 pm »
The devs cheating is why it dropped off #1 on mmorpg.com.

There has been two incidents with it.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/eve-online/cheating-eve-online-dev-comes-clean-235575.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/arts/07eve.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72886

http://endie.net/cs/blogs/endie/archive/2007/05/25/Eve_Online_Developer_Cheating_Again.aspx

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/eveonlineplayersaccuseadminsofcheating.shtml

http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?t=835  <-- This is the thread that opened the second accusations it is refered to often

There are some random ones I picked, they probably repeat themselves but it should at least open up a bit more to the history behind it. EVE still has problems, it has bad lag. It has jumpgates which act as chokepoints letting people get killed as they zone in. But I dealed with it. When the first problem came up I wasn't impressed but still played. When the problem with BoB showed up, I quit.

If you want to look up more try googling Eve online with cheating, T20, BoB, ISD or Kugutsumen
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:26:01 pm by Interitus »
My karma ran over your dogma