Author Topic: Money Burns Hole in Pocket, Reveals "DS Question" in Lower Pants  (Read 2976 times)

Offline DBCA

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
I have a problem: Too much pocket money. I've got a PSP and I know there are some potentially great games coming out for it and the DS later this year. Is the time right to go DS?

Offline James Shields

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I'm the best of the best you can forget the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Money Burns Hole in Pocket, Reveals "DS Question" in Lower Pants
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 12:26:43 am »
Yes I'd say get the DS. It seems alot of good games are coming out soon.
Violets are blue, roses are red.
I'm coming aboard prepare to eat lead.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 08:55:31 am »
Wait a week or two, the price is looking to go down to $129.99.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 02:24:09 pm »

Whoaho. That is a large drop. It's still 199.99 in every single store in all three cities I've checked around here.
I hope you are right.
If wrong, I hope it at least drops a little bit soon.

And yes, DBCA, the DS does have some interesting games on it. You may find Kirby's Canvas Course (or whatever it's called) interesting. My friend played it, and he really enjoyed it. Then, if you're into Castlevania's exploration type games (like Symphony of the Night), you may look forward to Dawn of Sorrow. It was recently revealed that the extra game (after you beat it correctly) will allow you to play as SotN Alucard, possibly switching between three other characters a la Dracula's Curse (CV III).
Then there's "The New Super Mario Bros." I find this game interesting because it has all the technical points that the 3D games do, like wall jumping, jumping off other character's heads, and probably other things. As well, it is a 2D platformer in 3D I believe. It seems to be multiplayer for two players which would be great fun.

Couple other games I haven't really looked into that are coming out later. I hear there's to be a Harvest Moon but I'm not totally sure.

There are others, but I know about the above more than the rest, since I'm probably going to get those.
I recommend DS. You can get a PSP too if you have the money, I'm not one-sided like almost everyone else seems to be.
...seen far too many internet DS vs. PSP "debates" go straight to hell in the first post...
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 06:01:25 am »

Whoaho. That is a large drop. It's still 199.99 in every single store in all three cities I've checked around here.
I hope you are right.
If wrong, I hope it at least drops a little bit soon.

And yes, DBCA, the DS does have some interesting games on it. You may find Kirby's Canvas Course (or whatever it's called) interesting. My friend played it, and he really enjoyed it. Then, if you're into Castlevania's exploration type games (like Symphony of the Night), you may look forward to Dawn of Sorrow. It was recently revealed that the extra game (after you beat it correctly) will allow you to play as SotN Alucard, possibly switching between three other characters a la Dracula's Curse (CV III).
Then there's "The New Super Mario Bros." I find this game interesting because it has all the technical points that the 3D games do, like wall jumping, jumping off other character's heads, and probably other things. As well, it is a 2D platformer in 3D I believe. It seems to be multiplayer for two players which would be great fun.

Couple other games I haven't really looked into that are coming out later. I hear there's to be a Harvest Moon but I'm not totally sure.

There are others, but I know about the above more than the rest, since I'm probably going to get those.
I recommend DS. You can get a PSP too if you have the money, I'm not one-sided like almost everyone else seems to be.
...seen far too many internet DS vs. PSP "debates" go straight to hell in the first post...

Wow!  Where do you live and where have you been checking.  I got my DS for $149.99, which I thought was the MSRP.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 01:47:16 pm »
I live in British Columbia in Canada. It just happened many of the larger stores I went to had some form of electronics section (mall stores, Superstore, Future Shop, EB Games, and a couple other nobodies).
I go in there and, seriously, every single time --

Had no idea it had dropped somewhere else.
This reminds me, I haven't yet checked Walmart, but that's where my friend got a used one for 179.99. It came with nothing though. Just one stylus, no games.

EDIT: What the hell? I checked IGN and they say they're dropping it a second time (as you said) within a week or so, to 129.99.
And here I am with all these guys in the area still basically screwing everyone for the original price. Is this against some sort of service standard that would allow me to complain? I'd like to print of these pages that go on about the price drop and post them all over the stores.

That's really annoying. I've been waiting for a price drop, and you know, I thought it had been an unusually long wait for one.
What do you know...
Bastards.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 04:08:59 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Nic

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 02:57:35 pm »
Ah, you have the same problem as me. We live in Canada. The game sites are all American. Thus, the price drop they're reporting is American, where the price is around 150 dollars right now (keep in mind these are american dollars). Here, if there even is a price drop, it'll go down to about 180 dollars (CAN). We are definately getting ripped, because conversion puts $130 American at $155 Canadian.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 03:25:10 pm »
Oh, blow. I keep forgetting about that exchange rate.

I'll have to find some in the Buy&Sell or something. Hell no to that price.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 02:43:43 pm »
Try going on eBay!