Author Topic: Colouring in PS (Tutorial)  (Read 9277 times)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Colouring in PS (Tutorial)
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:20:05 pm »
Because some people asked me, how to colour the drawings in photoshop, I thought it would be useful to make a tutorial for it here.
So, let's start.
(Sorry that the descriptions are german, but I think you can still find the options, because the positions should be the same.)

1st Step: Open folder

Well, this step shouldn't be one of the more difficult ones.

2nd Step: Colour some regions in pure white

This is needed to set the whole background in pure white. This way the colours will keep the same later when colouring. Obviously this works only, when the background is white. (Like paper)

3rd Step: Set brightness and contrast

Set the brightness so high, that the white coloured areas aren't visible anymore, BUT NOT HIGHER. Then set the contrast so high, that the drawing itself is clearly visible. Now the whole background is pure white and doesn't mess with the colours, while the drawing is just as visible as before.

4th Step: Convert background to layer

Photoshop automatically sets the original layer as "background". A background can't be moved in the layer hierarchy and thus will always be "in the background" behind all other layers. But we want it on the top in the very front of the picture, so we have to convert it into a layer.

5th Step: Set the layer's attribute to multiply

Right click on layer -> filling options -> filling method -> multiply. This way we can colour behind this layer, but the drawing lines are still visible.

6th Step: New layer

Layer -> new -> layer. On this layer we will colour the picture. Note, that the original layer should always remain at the top.

7th Step: Colour the layer

Now choose one part of the drawing (in this case: the body) and fill in the colour with the brush. Do NOT use the filling tool and don't start colouring the other parts of the picture.

8th Step: Repeat layering and colouring for each part of the picture

Make a new layer for each part of the picture. You can look in the layer list at the bottom, if you're unsure, which is considered as its own part. Splitting the colouring up in different layers will make shading and highlighting a lot easier.

9th Step: Add shadows

Now choose layer you want to shade and the burn tool. It is selected in the picture on the left hand tool bar. If there is not the hand, then rightclick on the button and choose the hand. Then add shadows to the picture. Think about where the light comes from. Also, if the area needs a special structure, then you can do it in this step. (Like it is done with the feathers.)

10th Step: Add highlights

Remain at the current layer and choose the dodge tool. (Same button -> rightclick -> lollipop-formed symbol) Use it similar as the burn tool, but highlight the areas, where the most light would be. This step is also useful to add structure to the picture.

11th Step: Shade and highlight the other layers

Repeat steps 9 and 10 for the other layers. Think about the structure for each layer.

12th Step: Add background

Now make a new layer behind all others. It will be the background. Draw a landscape or whatever appeals to you. Of course you can just skip this step.

13th Step: Add real shadow

Create a new layer right in front of the background and colour the area, where the shadow of the object should be, black. Then set its opacity so, that it doesn't look too dark but not too bright. (54% in this example)

14th Step: Look at your finished picture

This is by far the most difficult step, but with enough training and patience you will solve this as well. :P

Your drawing is coloured! Congratulations!

There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Colouring in PS (Tutorial)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:30:54 pm »
Pretty much the way I do it, but that bit about using the white to adjust the contrast is different. I should try that instead of using the auto or not at all.

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:33:51 pm »
very nice. when i get PS i will use this method immediatly.

your creature looks like a humanoid Peski, haha  :o ;D
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 02:39:40 pm »
Man-Ostrich Saves the day again!
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 03:49:24 pm »
I tried using this, but I have horrible photoshop skills.

The abomonation I made doesn't deserve to see the light of day, so I banished him to this dark realm:

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Indescenant-wrath in a box
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 04:38:06 pm »
I tried using this, but I have horrible photoshop skills.

The abomonation I made doesn't deserve to see the light of day, so I banished him to this dark realm:

That's looks pretty awesome though, as if the security camera was on the fritz as the beast goes on a rampage around the facility.

I'm going to have t try out some of those PS tips, thanks for the info Flisch  ;D.
I have photo paint, Taven style yarr :P.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:20:05 pm »
 :'(

^
Parents too cheap to get photoshop
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:23:12 pm »
So are mine. Don't let that stop you.

Let the hate flow through you. Join the dark side.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 08:08:50 pm »
I don't use burn tool. I tend to use black on a semi-transparent layer. If you stack them you can have many shadows at different transparently stack up and have darker and darker shadows. This also works for highlight with white.

gec05

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 11:21:50 pm »
You know, most of us who do have Photoshop never really legitimately bought the program. :-X

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Indescenant-wrath in a box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:29:31 pm »
You know, most of us who do have Photoshop never really legitimately bought the program. :-X

Yarr, ye best not be tellin this bit o' knowledge in the wrong ports matey, they'd hang ya from the mast they would.

Avast! I think there be subliminal messaging in me words!
I have photo paint, Taven style yarr :P.

gec05

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 11:33:51 pm »
I was thinking of a how-to-draw resource we could collaberate on, but something like that would fit more if this forum had an art board. It would have instructions on drawing styles like manga and life anatomy.

Offline El_Buro

• Revenging Yar
  • Crusher of spines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 11:56:46 pm »
Nice tutorial, it's a shame I don't have photoshop.
The program I use, PhotImpact, doesn't even have layers.  :-\

I was thinking of a how-to-draw resource we could collaborate on, but something like that would fit more if this forum had an art board. It would have instructions on drawing styles like manga and life anatomy.
If that ever happens, I could help with the anatomy stuff. I like that.

Offline ARCosta

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25:33 am »
I have photo paint, Taven style yarr :P. But i guess i could use those tips, the tools have other names tough. And that thing Hydro said, using 50% alpha layer for shadows/lights, i though doing in the other night (the things i dream... :P)
Green grin

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 07:02:14 pm »
if only i had photoshop  :-\