Author Topic: Spore plant pollination  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Spore plant pollination
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:08:21 pm »
I did search on this [plant pollination] and I did not see anything directly regarding this subject, so ….

Do you think the pollination system will extend to plants? The creatures on many planets will be made by other players (somewhere) do you think the same will be true of the flora of the planets we will encounter? Because if its not, and there are only in-game plants made by the game designers (excluding  the ones you made yourself) then there is going to be a severe limitation on the plant variety in the game. Because the designers can only make so many plants themselves (an many players wont be interested), without a pollination system with plants the variety is going to be pretty darn limited. If out of 100 habitable planets I discover, 31 are inhabited by Dioon trees, that’s going to be a disappointment because they make the bones and bread of the habitats on all planets (as far as we know…). Plus its going to be very boring if so many planets grow the same things.

DO do you think that Spore will pollinate the plants too? Or, do you think it should?

Offline Innovan

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Spore plant pollination
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:05:05 pm »
Plants appear to be distributed by the Fast Object Distribution method from SIGGRAPH. While there is a basic ecosystem relationship between animals, there just isn't the CPU power in a modern PC to model all the plants on a globe being eaten, pollinating, producing seeds and growing.

Black and White did include this and it was too much detail. "Treefarming" literally takes up hours after tedious hours as you transplant, grow seedlings, water, and grow the trees you need to build things. Very, very time consuming and not much fun. Maxis appears to be doing a good job of learning from the micro-detail mistakes of Black and White what isn't much fun to focus on.

There's been a rumor that a plant editor will be unlocked at some point in the game. But so far no one's seen it.

The WATOR simulation is all over the internet and a great example of the headaches Maxis doesn't want to simulate by going into too much micro-detail like how plants reproduce. It all dates back to Darwin's observation of sailing ships dropping off rabbit pairs on deserted islands on the voyage out hoping to harvest several litters of fat rabbits on the return trip back several months later. Without a predator, the rabbits would grow in numbers to eat all plant life on the island, and often both would end up going extinct before the ship could return. By adding a predator (the shark in WATOR) the plants have a chance to recover, and the population numbers stabilize. Most WATOR simulators let you tinker with things like plant reproduction rate, prey and predator mobility, and other attributes. The main thing you quickly learn is there's far too many ways to tune the attributes incorrectly and end up with a dead world where everything goes extinct.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:07:19 pm by Innovan »

Offline thelochness07

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:32:29 pm »
we have seen the ufo editor (its in a video somewhere...) and i think innovan has the wrong idea about pollination:

when WW says pollination he doesn't mean bees and flowers and stuff, he means distribution through the server. and im 99.9% sure that you'll be able to get plants from other players on your home world automatically. (and im also sure you can manually do that and make yourself a planetary garden)

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:44:11 pm »
I should clarify. I mean  custom plant distrubution through the server 'pollination'. THats what WW calls that method of information distribution. So if you make a plant in your game, will i encounter it on a planet in mine /vice versa?

Im curious because while creatures and  their civilization are all tied in with buildings and vehicles, the plants are not associated with your creature or your civilization.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:48:52 pm by Fledgeling »

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:56:51 pm »

Don't worry about it... it is in.

Thanks for the assurance. It would make sense,  but how can you be so sure? Im the kinda guy who keeps worrying until there is enough proof so as to leave no doubt.

Offline El_Buro

• Revenging Yar
  • Crusher of spines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:13:03 pm »
On more than one occasion Wright has said that everything the player sees will be pollinated (or possibly procedurally generated). In GDC '05 video*, for example. It is one of the core ideas to the game.

*I am aware that this video isn't up to date, but the premise of the game is the same. Also, it's the only on I can recall him explicitly stating what I was taking about.