Author Topic: GCDC Leipzig '07 - News here [A:22|I:67|V:3|F:0]  (Read 85378 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
GCDC Leipzig '07 - News here [A:22|I:67|V:3|F:0]
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:25:50 pm »
We all know people are gonna start creating new topics for every news that comes in so what about keeping it clean in one thread? I know there's already a GCDC Leipzig 2007 thread but it's by now 11 pages of expectations long and a clean thread is always good for new news :P

So, please avoid posting until there's news to post and the first one to find something new post it here, then everyone else feel free to add more Leipzig news or to comment on already posted news.

Every new link that comes in will be then added to this post and when Leipzig is over they will be added to the Omnibus (I think xD) and Image Archives.

- Small articles can be quoted and a link provided at the end.
- Big articles cannot be quoted but a link can be provided. (this is to avoid long threads with quoted articles)
- Please only provide links to pictures and don't use the img tags, this way it keeps the thread cleaner, you can then add the images with the [img] tags to the Image Archives, if you don't... I'll do it myself.
- As for videos, just do the usual thing and post the link.
- For files, if they are something you paid for (like the Spore talks) and want to share with us -> try to upload them to somewhere that doesn't have a waiting restriction on downloading. If it's a Spore demo of some kind -> PLEASE LINK IT GIMME PLZ PLZ PLZ ZOMGNESS! xD

ARTICLES:

[11:30AM 20/08/2007] What's at Leipzig GC?
Quote from: What's at Leipzig GC?
EA wants ALL your money

Electronic Arts has a truly spectacular line-up for the next 12 months; at Leipzig GC it'll be showcasing Crysis, Half-Life 2: Orange Box, Burnout Paradise, FIFA 2008 and many more. It'll also be offering the press (that's us) its first chance to go hands-on with Will Wright's Spore, possibly one the most shockingly ambitious games ever conceived. Who knows? The publishing giant might even drop the odd announcement or two. We'd be perfectly happy with just Spore though.

[06:15PM 21/08/2007] Games Convention 2007 Preview
Quote from: Games Convention 2007 Preview
EA

The giant of the video games industry is expected to have the largest presence at Games Convention. Of the huge list of titles expect coverage of Spore, FIFA 08, The Simpsons Game, Battlefield Bad Company, Crysis, Orange Box and Burnout Paradise.

[04:15AM 22/08/2007] EA Headed to E for All
Quote from: EA Headed to E for All
While a press release issued by IDG did not list games that players will play from EA, the popular rumor that Spore will be playable on the show floor at this week's Leipzig Game Convention might mean that Spore could show up at the E for All inaugural event.

[10:30AM 22/08/2007] EA recovers after 2-year stock slump
Quote from: EA recovers after 2-year stock slump
The recent postponement of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.’s “Grand Theft Auto IV” introduction from the holiday shopping season until sometime next year should help rival game firms. But EA has delayed the much-anticipated release of its “Spore” game as well.

[??:??PM 22/08/2007] EA Showcases Top Titles at Leipzig Games Convention and Unveils FIFA 08 on the PLAYSTATION 3
Quote from: EA Showcases Top Titles at Leipzig Games Convention and Unveils FIFA 08 on the PLAYSTATION 3
Spore(TM)

Spore takes you on an epic journey from the origin and evolution of life through the development of civilization and technology and eventually into the outer reaches of space. Create your own creature and personalize it exactly as you want by adding and shaping parts like legs, mouths, tails and its own custom color pattern. Create something realistic or fantastic. Your choices determine your creature's fate -- will it be a lover or a fighter, will it succeed or will it be wiped out? Guide its development and create a tribe of followers and then whole cities. Along the way, choose whether to be nice or play rough when you encounter other creatures or societies. Then on the final step in your creature's development, take off into space for an exciting voyage of exploration and discovery, meeting alien civilizations and attacking or allying with them as you pursue a variety of missions.

[04:03PM 22/08/2007] Gamespot: Spore Impressions page 1/2
[04:03PM 22/08/2007] Gamespot: Spore Impressions page 2/2

[10:00PM 22/08/2007] 1UP Spore Preview

[??:??AM 23/08/2007] Gamespy Spore Preview page 1/2
[??:??AM 23/08/2007] Gamespy Spore Preview page 1/2

[??:??AM 23/08/2007] 4Gamer Spore Preview (japanese)

[03:56PM 23/08/2007] Gameinformer Spore Preview page 1/2
[03:56PM 23/08/2007] Gameinformer Spore Preview page 2/2

[11:30AM 24/08/2007] Eurogamer Spore Preview

[02:00PM 24/08/2007] Confirmed: Spore Coming to Consoles
Quote from: Confirmed: Spore Coming to Consoles
SPOnG revealed some time ago (just over a year go to be more specific) that Will Wright’s Spore will be heading to home console, following the initial launch of the game on PC and Nintendo DS.

Maxis has finally confirmed at this week's Leipzig GC that there are plans to develop a version of Spore for consoles, with Maxis exec Patrick Buechener when asked about plans for console telling press, "Not right now, but we see this as a franchise ... it just won't be at launch."

Will Wright’s Spore will be on a PC and DS very near you sometime next year. And, undoubtedly, on a Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 somewhere near you at some point in 2009.

[09:00PM 24/08/2007] Kotaku Spore Preview

[??:??PM 24/08/2007] IGN Spore Preview page 1/3
[??:??PM 24/08/2007] IGN Spore Preview page 2/3
[??:??PM 24/08/2007] IGN Spore Preview page 3/3

[06:32AM 25/08/2007] Reuters: "The Sims" creator completes next game page 1/2
[06:32AM 25/08/2007] Reuters: "The Sims" creator completes next game page 2/2

[??:??AM 25/08/2007] Kotaku: Spore? Or SimSim?

[??:??PM 25/08/2007] Games Digest: Leipzig Games Convention - Spore is looking good, almost finished

[00:00AM 27/08/2007] Screenplay Spore Preview

[02:30PM 28/08/2007] Spong Spore Preview

[??:??AM 29/08/2007] DESTRUCTOID Spore Preview

[09:09AM 31/08/2007] Pro-G Spore Preview

[10:46PM 08/09/2007] Gamerswithjobs GC 2007 Game Impressions
Quote from: Gamerswithjobs GC 2007 Game Impressions
While it wasn't really available at E3, Spore was shown at GC 2007 behind closed doors. And I got to see all the stages up to the city/civilization phase. The creature part has been talked about often enough, so I'll just skip to the tribe phase. This is the first time you have several beings under your control. You can upgrade your settlement with new buildings (always being referred to as "tools"), e.g. a tent that can heal your tribesmen or a hut that enables them to use weapons. All these buildings can be improved later on. Your main goal is to gather more than 15 creatures to advance to the next phase. One does not have to switch to the next level though upon reaching that mark, and can keep playing the tribes part beyond that.

It's possible to have your followers mate, but you also might 'recruit' other tribes by convincing them in friendly, diplomatic ways or, of course, just attacking them. Icons to the left show the status (HP, hunger, tiredness) and activitiy of every single member of your tribe, it's also possible to select them that way.

In the next stage you start with your own city and territory. There are three types of cities -- military, religious and diplomatic. Your behaviour in the tribes phase determines what kind of city you'll initially have. It's possible to get ahold of additional strategic options by conquering other regions with a different setup.

Here you get to build vehicles for the first time. At the beginning you'll need a harvester to collect resources for you. Later you can generate the so called Spore-Dollars through factories as well. Once your population grows, the player also gets his hands on tanks, ships and airplanes upon reaching certain marks - 40, 60 and 80. There's a variety of equipment that can be attached to a vehicle, affecting its HP, attack points and firing rate in the case of military vehicles. You can scale and tweak all parts in the editor - and the possibilities here seem really endless -- but that will not change the stats of the specific piece you've chosen.

There's a general rule in Spore for creatures, outfits, vehicles or buildings -- you can design them all from the scratch or download models built by other players. User-generated content is being integrated automatically and seamlessly. In order to keep you from getting spammed, the game will limit the assets available to pieces that might suit your preferences. In addition to that, it's also possible to subscribe to the content produced by players of your choice via Spore.com, a concept titled "Sporecast", or simply browse the complete archive.

There still were some interface and pathfining glitches, but it's not like the game will ship next month. When asked, EA simply kept saying that it won't launch before fiscal 2008 (April 1 2008 - March 31 2009) - they didn't sound like they are expecting the game to ship in Spring though. It's really hard to judge Spore at this point since I haven't seen the complete package yet and had to use cheats to make my way through the different phases within the demo session time. The question of how fast the motivational curve will drop, once you've seen every stage, remains to be answered. The option to design your own content and get assets created by the community should help get some mileage out of Spore.

GC Spore Trailer 1 Screenshots
More Spore Trailer 1/2 Screenshots
In-game Official Screenshots (12)
4Gamer screenshots of creatures and buildings (12)
GC Leipzig Additional Creatures (20)
GC Leipzig Spore Screenshots (some possibly repeated)
GC Leipzig - Even More and Better Looking Creatures (23)

VIDEOS:

GC Spore Trailer 1 (High Quality Download)
GC Spore Trailer 2 (High Quality Download)
GC 2007: Spore Interview (No Gameplay)
Get the videos in different qualities here

FILES:

---#---

NOTE: Although I include links to screenshots of the videos here, I only count as images the official in-game screenshots (as the video screenshots can be seen in the video).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 05:27:47 pm by DarkDragon »

DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: GCDC Leipzig '07 - News here [0]
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:32:02 pm »
That is a grand idea. I don't like the idea of topics about leipzig swarming over spore general.
links to vids etc go here. but pics go in the image archives, i think.

aye?

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:19:57 pm »
I kinda agree on that, let's do the following:

- Small articles can be quoted and a link provided at the end.
- Big articles cannot be quoted but a link can be provided. (this is to avoid long threads with quoted articles)
- Please only provide links to pictures and don't use the img tags, this way it keeps the thread cleaner, you can then add the images with the [img] tags to the Image Archives, if you don't... I'll do it myself.
- As for videos, just do the usual thing and post the link.
- For files, if they are something you paid for (like the Spore talks) and want to share with us -> try to upload them to somewhere that doesn't have a waiting restriction on downloading. If it's a Spore demo of some kind -> PLEASE LINK IT GIMME PLZ PLZ PLZ ZOMGNESS! xD
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:25:59 pm by DarkDragon »

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:50:37 pm »
My name is Sub and I approve this thread. 

Offline DMK

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:53:38 pm »
My name is Sub and I approve this thread. 

I miss you. Post more. More Dasof. Now.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:01:20 pm »
In time. 

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 03:43:19 am »
[NEWS - 11:30AM 20/08/2007]

Article - What's at Leipzig GC?

Quote from: What's at Leipzig GC?
EA wants ALL your money

Electronic Arts has a truly spectacular line-up for the next 12 months; at Leipzig GC it'll be showcasing Crysis, Half-Life 2: Orange Box, Burnout Paradise, FIFA 2008 and many more. It'll also be offering the press (that's us) its first chance to go hands-on with Will Wright's Spore, possibly one the most shockingly ambitious games ever conceived. Who knows? The publishing giant might even drop the odd announcement or two. We'd be perfectly happy with just Spore though.

This should clear it up for some people who might be concerned with the possibility of Spore not being shown in Leipzig GC '07 :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:13:13 am by DarkDragon »

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline ashevm

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
  • We are the creature makers
    • View Profile
    • Longcount
Re: GCDC Leipzig '07 - News here [1]
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 04:30:26 am »
Good idea. Finally a thread with a solid purpose that will make our spore hungry... brains, I guess satisfied.

I hope there is plenty of stuff in files section. A spore demo wouldn't be bad at all.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 04:37:06 am »
An official release date would be good too :D

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 04:56:01 am »
Um, those links take me to a reply for this thread rather than the actual article. :D

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 05:13:35 am »
oops, my bad -> fixed xD

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline ashevm

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Longcount
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 05:48:59 am »

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 06:10:34 am »
Don't expect too much from the GC.
I have a feeling that there won't be a lot 'new' news
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:26:38 am by GrapeFruit »
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline ashevm

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Longcount
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 06:24:03 am »
I don't see spore here:

http://www.gcdc.eu/index.php?page=217#
Well, it's confirmed here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170120

Yeah I know, what I'm saying is that Spore might be scheduled for after the days that are indicated in the schedule.

Don't expect too much from the GDC.
I have a feeling that there won't be a lot 'new' news

Well, I have. IGN, Gamespot will be there and it will be playable to the press. I smell news...