Author Topic: Design Locking  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Design Locking
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 06:37:16 pm »
Freehand? Thats tricky. It would suck to try upload a creature/item you lovingly raised/sculpted over time, only to get a large red sign saying you copied someone. Or worse, witchhunted by people who believe you straight-ripped their work, despite having never seen it before. No doubt the date will be taken note of in the upload, but you know how people are. As mentioned, modified content that was born from other peoples creations, will likely keep a timeline of who did what to it, in the file. I dont know, but its still something to think on.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 06:42:08 pm »
Well, I remember there being mention of that you will be able to access a variety of statistics of your creatures in other universes. One of those stats could very possibly be how many other people have seen your creature in their game. If at the central database they keep parallel stats, it would be an easy matter of checking your seen creatures, to see if the old one was among that list.
Virus Buster.

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 03:08:07 am »
I wouldn't care, its not like we actually own the creature in the first place. And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Unless someone furry-izes it, then the red hammer is coming down.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 03:28:50 am »
They probably have ways of comparing two different buildings by analyzing the height, width and length of it,  comparing the number and types of blocks used on both buildings, comparing textures on each block and so on.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 10:21:28 am »
Didn't Will Wright say that you would have IP rights on the objects, and that people can buy it, but not alter it?

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 11:04:46 am »
Maybe, I can't recall it very well but maybe someone said it on those talks that we're "banned" from the forums cause we had to buy them (I see the same happening to the siggraph videos soon).

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Chaosdwarft

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Spread the Word of Chaos! Let it comsume You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 11:24:54 am »
I wouldn't care, its not like we actually own the creature in the first place. And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Unless someone furry-izes it, then the red hammer is coming down.

I totally agree with you: fee flow of information and creatures. ABSOLUTE FREEDOM
Plz visit my city at

http://briezh.myminicity.com/

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 11:43:49 am »
It would be an interesting concept to design lock your work, however I think because of the game play itself you are only going to A)choose to not upload your creations or B)Choose to block other peoples creations...I think that is going to be the extent of it, I do not know if there is going to be a thing were you can block each created model/creature, it would be nice to be able to do that if you so choose.

Offline Unknown User

• Microvision Master
  • I'm dancing like a monkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 11:46:28 am »
I would much rather have someone able to copy or modify my own work than to have a strict censorship system put in place.  If I find another creature that looks almost the same as my own, I'll most likely put it down to coincidence, rather than copycatting.  Even  if it is someone copying my work, what's the problem with having two separate races looking similar.  Watch Star Trek.  There are plenty of alien races that aren't "human," but look damn close. 

If I end up creating a creature, then finding out I can't play it because someone beat me to my own concept, I'll be quite angry.  I've got a specific idea of what I want to create, and I have a feeling that there are plenty of others who like the idea as well.
?

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 12:33:26 pm »
What about:

Player 1 creates creature and ticks the LOCK option on the editor -> Player 2 can see the creature on their game, interact with it, even play as the creature but not modify it.

Player 1 decides he/she doesn't care if someone changes his creation and therefore doesn't LOCK their creation -> Player 2 is free to do whatever with it.

Simple as that, all the creatures and other stuff need is another 1/0 (locked or unlocked) on their file.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 02:21:31 pm »
For once, MaterChiToes has a point! That kind of thing may work in your generic MMORPG, but this is Spore! If you don't want people messing with your stuff, don't share it.

Infact, I think that just may be the worst idea anyone has ever come up with with regards to Spore. That idea should be taken out back and shot for it's own good. You getting my subtle implications here?

EDIT: Aaaaghrafraitgh! How can my post count still be so far from 1000?!
EDIT: Aaaaghrafraitgh only has one f.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:29:49 pm by Quantum Burrito »
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 02:24:10 pm »
Death by firing squad!

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 02:36:03 pm »
Yeah, guess my second idea wasn't well thought over, anyways... my first idea still works pretty fine, just having a record of who changed what, etc :P

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Serinen

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 02:31:04 am »
I agree that having half the galaxy locked from modifying is a bad thing, however there is a way of locking a creature that could work.

When you select your creature as locked, people would still be able to modify it in game but wouldn't be able to upload the modified creature for others to download. I can't see a problem with this, you can mod until your hearts content you just won't be able to share all your modded creatures with the world.  :D
My Sporepedia Page
The First Spore Stop Motion Animation
An analog man lost in a digital age... cue the sad music.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 03:38:19 am »
Your logic makes the puppy happy, I like that idea xD

gamingsteve.dyndns.org