Author Topic: The apocolypse is here, Dungeons and Dragons....  (Read 15835 times)

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
Re: The apocolypse is here, Dungeons and Dragons....
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:09 pm »
Well, the three core rulebooks have been leaked and are currently on pirate bay. I downloaded them just to get a preview. I'm still buying the books (both to support WotC and because a PDF is no substitute for a hard copy) but it's nice to get to see the rules early. Everything is very very streamlined compared to 3.5. The classes work very differently. Now you choose all of your class abilities and the old spell system has been replaced, essentially making spells work exactly like other abilities. This will piss off some people but the spell system in 3.5 was pretty wonky.

In the end it's still going to come down to personal preference, and I'm sure some will argue that 4th edition had dumbed down DnD but I'm really liking what I see and I can't wait to try it in an actual game. If you're not sure about the new edition yet I suggest trying to make the PDF files somehow finding their way to your harddrive.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:49:44 pm »
If you lose all things that are either really dumb or setting specific, you don't seem to have much to play with. I've only really skimmed it, though.

No DnD character I've ever made can really be accurately represented by the new rules - and I only ever made base class/base race characters (I'm not Yokto). Instead of taking KS's advice, which I endorsed, they've made the base classes much more limited in application.

Also stupid races are stupid.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 06:02:02 am »
Hmm. I've given 4th Ed a try with some friends; we ran a pre-written adventure from a publication somewhere which was reasonably entertaining, with characters we genned from the rulebooks. My Dwarven Paladin consistently failed to hit anything, but he did a decent job as a meatshield (something I think he was designed for).

You know what strikes me? It's like those tactics games you get for handhelds. The whole game is so focused on combat, and not a whole lot else. There's so little substance in the system it was a totally different experience to DnD usually. It wasn't totally bad, since it was fun to treat it like a video game, but I think I'll be sticking to 3.5 for now.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 02:39:12 am »
All I know is that they're taking up valuable shelf space in Waterstone's that could be used for more manga or horror books! >:(
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.