Author Topic: Resident Evil 5 controversy  (Read 27288 times)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Resident Evil 5 controversy
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:37:18 am »
Ok, I just heard about this, and I don't understand this woman at all. She's a blogger who thinks the upcoming RE is going to be racist against blacks.

http://www.blacklooks.org/2007/07/resident_evil_5.html

There's another article..thing on the gamepolitics website. http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer/

Now, how is it racism if in the other RE games the zombies/whatever were white? I thought equality meant being equal, not bitching about something so you can get special privileges?

*reminds me* Kinda like how we have a "Miss Black South Carolina". I'd love to see a "Miss Caucasian South Carolina".

edit: Actually, this may be more appropriate in the Everything else section...since it has less to do with the game, and more with the "Racist" aspect of it. I dunno. That's just me, so...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:45:08 pm by LadyM »

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil 5 is...racist?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:57 am »
I can kinda understand how someone might think that if they haven't seen 4, but really this whole thing is silly.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:53:42 am »
If people are thinking this upcoming game is racist, why didn't they think as such for RE4?

Understanding the circumstances is one thing, but if you don't understand what's going on, RE4 might appear rather racist as well. You're an American man killing (possibly) Spanish people called the "Los Gonados", which is Spanish for "the cattle". I think this whole thing is just an unprecedented attack against a game which happens to involve the still apparently sensitive issue of African/black people and violence in this country.

It's like pulling a Jack Thompson without any evidence. (Which, as painful as it might be to believe, JT does have at least a little basis to make his claims)
Virus Buster.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:56:52 am »
All of the other games have been about killing mainly white people.  OMG!  Racist!

The game is set in Africa, and is supposedly about poverty, so yes, obviously the majority of the zombies are going to be black, but I really don't think race has anything to do with this at all.  I knew this argument was going to start up eventually as soon as I saw the trailer.  I swear, some people just complain about things because they can, and not because they're actually offended by it.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:06:02 am »
I think what people seem to overlook is that it would be racist to not include black enemies in video games. Nevertheless, this seems common, because there seems to be a taboo against depicting black people in negative roles. I'm pretty sure there would be a few comments raised if this game was set in Africa but featured exclusively white zombies.

As an interesting aside, the concept of a Zombie comes from west African folklore in the first place.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 11:54:59 am »
So there can be Asian zombies, Caucasian Zobies and tanned zombies, but no Black Zombies?

Some people have waaaay too much time on their hands.

From this day on, anyone who campains against something which has nothing wrong with it shall be burned to a giant marshmellow in india.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:55:46 am »
lets see... if the game take place in euro (o wait one already did) it would be white people fetured as zombies.

if one was in asia, it would be asain zombies.

and this game is in Africa so one would think it would have black people in it since most still live in Africa

I'm pretty sure there would be a few comments raised if this game was set in Africa but featured exclusively white zombies.

gameplay wise, that would make little sense but white people are the only people that no one really cares if they make things that offences them.

all i see here is poltically charged bs and spin...

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:14 pm »
Resident Evil 4 is racist against Spaniards! and Americans with German-sounding names!  :o
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:10:37 pm »
Maybe someone should make a game that is CLEARLY racist against Caucasians, and see if anyone gives a ****?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 05:18:45 am »
I agree with Doctor, it is ok to kill people, as long as they are white.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 08:59:27 am »
So she wants us to kill black zombies, instead of white zombies......???
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 12:20:01 pm »
From the Geicko school of thought... I made this...

EDIT - Now that I think about it, I'm onboard with the angry racist crowd. This game promotes the feeling that all black zombies should kill all white people, and that would be a race and hate crime!

-Lego
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:35:48 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 12:45:15 pm »
Heh. On one of her own comments to the blog post she made, she said she'd be more comfortable if the zombies were white.

And she doesn't think that's racism...wow.

edit:
Maybe someone should make a game that is CLEARLY racist against Caucasians, and see if anyone gives a ****?

Go ahead. You'll have my support.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 12:51:30 pm »
Well, in both Zoo Tycoon games, only white adult males can be eaten by escaped animals.  (I know this because I commonly "accidentally" delete fence pieces.)
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 02:52:53 pm »
If the game takes place in South Africa, there'll be some white zombies.  ::)