Author Topic: The Oddest story in recemt Movie History Exorcist the Beginning 2  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Many of you have probbably heard of or saw Renny Harlin's Exorcist the Beginning last year. In my Opinion it was the worst film of the year.

But did you guys know that it was the Second version of the film.

Paul Schrader (writer of Taxi Driver, the Last temptation of christ) was hired on by Morgan Creek and William Peter Blatty (writer of exorcist) to write and direct Exorcist: The Beginning. After completion of his first draft the filming went on as planned with Stellan Skarsgård starring as Father Merrin. After completion of the film Schrader presented the fim to the studio execs at Morgan Creek who deemed the film "didnt have enough gore" and they wanted "a CGI Extravaganza" so they fired the editor of the film and fired Schrader leaving a completed film on the shelf. they wanted a mainstream horror film

They hired on Renny Harlin to write a new film from the initial notes schader took and to film a new version. now this guy directed Deep Blue Sea. he was famous for making the movies you don't want to watch. and when his version of the film came out it was totally different from the Schrader version. Father Merrin in Schrader's version is a man struggling to keep his faith and battle his inner demons as well as those within the tomb. in Harlin's he comes across as Indiana Jones with a crucifix.

So now with great complaints from the fans of the series Schrader's film is guarenteed at least a DVD release and could see a theatrical release. I have seen both versions (harlin's in theatres) and i downloaded Schraders version (as the only way i could see it is if i went to belgium to attend a film festival) and Schrader's version is nothing short of amazing. He made a Dark Dreary film that is worthy of the Exorcist name.

Oooh avoid this version if all you wanted to see is heads spinning around and gore. but this is truely a better film than the one i had to waste my $9.50 and 2 hours of my life on ooh and the bit of gasoline... well all the things i wasted to go see Harlin's version

I got my name from a computer monitor

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: The Oddest story in recemt Movie History Exorcist the Beginning 2
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:30:44 pm »
I recently saw the this movie, rented it.  I was a little disappointed in it, I didn't think the story was consistant.  In the original movie, the demon was one that Father Merrin exorsised out of a boy.  In the new movie, they make you think its the boy who's possessed but then it ends up being someone else.  I'm glad to hear there's another version, I'll keep my eye out. 

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 02:37:41 pm »
Interesting story

Indum

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 02:41:47 pm »
Yeah, interesting. Fantastic Four has a similar story. Marvel made some licensing agreements with some movie comapny (forget which one) and it didn't turn out right so fufill the recuirments or something they got a bunch of c-list actors together and filmed a piece of crap. It was only when filming was complete-and the contract fufilled-that the actors were told it would never be released. Can you imagine their faces  ;D