Author Topic: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans  (Read 24451 times)

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
Re: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2007, 06:21:51 pm »
He's come in and made mistakes, and is now acting like a jerk about it. He didn't have to be defensive at all.
Just like nobody had to take most opportunities to provoke him further when he was already obviously annoyed. I didnt see any of you apologising to him for being too harsh, and nobody had to be aggressive either.

That isn't the way things work.

And as for trolling, he was the one trolling (that's what the whole point of making this thread was).

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2007, 06:33:20 pm »
Let's just let the thread sink like a sack of kittens in the Mississippi.

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2007, 06:53:40 pm »
Let's just let the thread sink like a sack of kittens in the Mississippi.

Offline Thanatoz

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Ninja Kitty Strikes Again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2007, 07:37:55 pm »
Ray, Cow, Mae... you are children.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2007, 06:55:48 am »
I'm going to resurrect this thread rather than make a new one. I'm really saddened with the way I've seen the people in the Spore forum treat new members. Instead of being friendly and welcome them, you get upset if they even post. If they ask a question, they are told to search. If they post a comment after a search they are told they necro-bumped. Perhaps all of you need to go back and read the forum guidelines. No where in there does it say to treat someone like that. It says to show respect and no personal attacks. Calling new people names (noob, newb, stupid.. etc. ) isn't nice and isn't welcoming. We are going to get alot of new people here when Spore comes out and I think attitudes need to change. I'm going to repost the rules here and I'm going to contact Steve to report how people are being treated. Maybe if you hear it from him, you'll know that it's true.

I'd like for new members to post what think here and older members can respond but I'd like it to be an intelligent discussion like most of the debates on GS are. That's one of the things I liked about this place, people could discuss things without getting angry. Let's get back to that place.

gec05

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2007, 07:04:57 am »
LOL, I was thinking about this board needing it's own copy of the forum rules and whadayknow. :)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2007, 08:13:08 am »
Please be respectful and helpful for new members. People new to the forum and the game should be treated as guests, not as outsiders who don't know what is going on.

And if you don't want to help someone new, then don't write anything. If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't say anything and simply ignore their post. But trying to make then feel stupid or drive them from the forum is not only disrespectful but can result in a possible ban from the forums. You have all seen that I have no problem whatsoever banning people and I will ban disrespectful members, especially if you are driving off new members or being abusive.

Remember, if you have nothing good or helpful to say, then don't say anything.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2007, 09:07:47 am »
The Lord has spoken! now leave the new member alone :P

going off-topic: Steve, did you get to go to the GC and/or get any extra Spore news appart from what we have so far?  ;D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2007, 10:18:47 am »
Maybe a new post should be stickied. One with advice for new memebrs. But give it a catchy name so people actually read it like "New here? Want to be popular? Read this!"

Then have the list of suggestions like searching for topics and images. Reading old debates.  As for necro bumps I don't mind them as long as the person says it's a necro bump and adds something on that topic.  It does nothing to necro bump a conversation from 2005 and respond to one of the posts. More then likely the person doesn't even know oyu did it and won't answer back which ends up being a wasted bump. But if you take an idea and expand on it, or think of something new it works.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2007, 10:37:49 am »
When I first came here over a year ago, things were somewhat similar to today. I had to trend carefully at first and observe how things went for a few days so I knew how to hand things without getting my head ripped off. But most people wont be doing that. And most new people don’t know much about spore- they come here to learn. They can be expected to use the search feature, but they CANNOT be expected to know what was on previous articles from 1,2 or even a few months back because if they had encountered them they would not be asking. So its not fair to say that it was confirmed years ago if it is done in a manner that they should already know that. They are not stupid, they just did not have access to some of the older stuff that some of the more established members have, through no fault of their own.

Offline Chaosdwarft

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Spread the Word of Chaos! Let it comsume You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2007, 12:17:44 pm »
I hear ya dude. Let there be peace and fraternity in the forum. Let our flock grow in number. We must welcome new comers and treat them as equal. They will learn The Ways and embrace Spore in its full glory.
Plz visit my city at

http://briezh.myminicity.com/

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2007, 12:19:28 pm »
I think there needs too be a rule section in here. Im sure 85% of the spore forumers never venture outside the Spore sections.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Chaosdwarft

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Spread the Word of Chaos! Let it comsume You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2007, 12:23:39 pm »
I did, like 2 or 3 times
Plz visit my city at

http://briezh.myminicity.com/

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2007, 12:30:22 pm »
I do... sometimes... ok, almost never :x
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline noogle

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2007, 01:56:13 pm »
I think we should have a sticky in BIG BOLD LETTERS on the top of the page about what kind of threads belong here  :P