Author Topic: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans  (Read 24463 times)

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
Re: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2007, 10:20:27 am »
Sorry.  :(

EDIT: Darnit! I made a new page!  >:(
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2007, 01:55:31 pm »
I think there has been more discussion about this topic than there has been unnecessarily angry responses from the veteran members. It seems to me that, for the most part, all the angry responses have gone to people who have posted threads that truly were useless, and that didn't seem to care about it. Most of the older members don't even bother to come around here, so I don't see why there are people saying that some people use this section solely to scold noobs.

Personally, I always try to understand when some people make a repeat thread, and try to tell them nicely.

Offline Thanatoz

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Ninja Kitty Strikes Again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2007, 02:40:19 pm »
Surprisingly, I've received quite a few PM's from some of the kinder/wiser forum members.

The content of their messages is basically along the lines of "You've made a good point, even if some people don't want to acknowledge it." and "Don't sweat it, they're not that bad when the get to know you and you them."

I appreciate the gesture of these messages and those who have taken the time to write them are a credit to this forum.

I came here to get the latest, unpublished info about SPORE's development and that's about it.  Looking around this forum I see there's actually very little new information that cannot be found elsewhere.  While I'm as capable as the next guy of indulging in (and enjoying) idle speculation about each and any particular facet of what will most likely be a revolutionary and very enjoyable game, it's not really what I was looking for.

So is it worth it to me to hang around, hoping to ingratiate myself to my detractors so I too can join the clique, sit in my virtual lawn chair and sleeping bag and camp outside EA/MAxis for the next year or so?  No.

I figure everything I really need to know about SPORE will be in the user manual.

Thanks and enjoy your forum.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:51:46 pm by Thanatoz »

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2007, 02:41:11 pm »
I dont think i am a noob, or a veteran. Im like in limbo between the two.
[/quote

You are...a middlebie!

Newbie-middlebie-oldbie!

I think...

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2007, 02:47:30 pm »
Surprisingly, I've received quite a few PM's from some of the kinder/wiser forum members.

The content of their messages is basically along the lines of "You've made a good point, even if some people don't want to acknowledge it" and "Don't sweat it, they're not that back when the get to know you and you them."

I appreciate the gesture of these messages and those who have taken the time to write them are a credit to this forum.

I came here to get the latest, unpublished info about SPORE's development and that's about it.  While I'm as capable as the next guy of indulging in and enjoying idle speculation about each and any particular facet of what will most likely be a revolutionary and very enjoyable game, looking around this forum I see there's actually very little new information.

So is it worth it to me to hang around hoping to ingratiate myself to my detractors so I too can join the clique, sit in my virtual lawn chair and sleeping bag and camp outside EA/MAxis for the next year or so?  No.

I figure everything I really need to know about SPORE will be in the user manual.

Enjoy your forum.

You're making quite a fuss for just refusing to use the search function or posting questions in existing threads. People like you never change and all you'll do is bother us anyways.

Good riddance.

Offline scorpia11

• Battlezone Captain
  • Who else but Quagmire!!??
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2007, 03:14:52 pm »
I dont think i am a noob, or a veteran. Im like in limbo between the two.
[/quote

You are...a middlebie!

Newbie-middlebie-oldbie!

I think...

Hehe...I love the veterans. I find you lot point me in the right direction...at least i hope its right..I think it was a good idea to call the Admin a F******.... ;D Joking!!!

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2007, 03:53:28 pm »
I came here to get the latest, unpublished info about SPORE's development and that's about it.  Looking around this forum I see there's actually very little new information that cannot be found elsewhere.  While I'm as capable as the next guy of indulging in (and enjoying) idle speculation about each and any particular facet of what will most likely be a revolutionary and very enjoyable game, it's not really what I was looking for.

Well, if you didn't come here knowing that there was very little new info, then of course you'd be dissapointed. This section of the fourms is all about the collecting and sharing the few bits of Spore we know of.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:42:04 pm by Cow »

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2007, 04:40:57 pm »
I think we should sticky this as a warning to n00bs everywhere, so if they come in and miss the search button, they'll know what happens to them.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2007, 05:00:48 pm »
This isnt about the search button, this is about people finding the latest punching bag and people slipping in every barely disguised provocation they can into their posts. After this kind of reception, i'd expect him to be on a strong defensive, but of course you'll totally blank that little factlet and hold him to his every word as some kind of proof of his character and why he 'deserves' to recieve just a few more teeny tiny pokes, whilst everyone else runs ongoing patronising, aggravating remarks, and that of course will be totally disregarded as 'character matter' and totally invalid as an excuse to be annoyed at you all in return. If you gather into a crowd and have a stomp-dance on someones toes, dont ****ing whine when they get pissed off and have something to say about it.

Yeah, newbs can be annoying, but a group of regulars running a slow-troll on someone, in a subforum they claim they rarely visit or post in anymore anyway, over nothing? Thats is just transparently jerkish. If people want this thread to sink, they just have to lay off on baiting him and acting like noobs, but it seems people are having too much fun slipping an extra nark in every time there is an opening.

Quote from: Uroboros
Circlejerk, its good for what ails you.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:16:06 pm by Uroboros »

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2007, 05:10:01 pm »
Yep. That's the way thing go around here.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2007, 05:42:01 pm »
And why should it be that way? Far less fustration for all to simply not cause a huge drama.

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2007, 05:50:23 pm »
I've seen people come in, make mistakes, and then quickly apologise for them and correct them. He's come in and made mistakes, and is now acting like a jerk about it. He didn't have to be defensive at all.

Think about it, what if he had apologised instead of attacking us? Would we be doing this now? If this thread were a 'I'm sorry, I'll try not to do it again.' instead of saying 'Go away!' I would be saying 'It's okay, I used to do it all the time.'

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2007, 05:56:29 pm »
I've seen people come in, make mistakes, and then quickly apologise for them and correct them. He's come in and made mistakes, and is now acting like a jerk about it. He didn't have to be defensive at all.

Think about it, what if he had apologised instead of attacking us? Would we be doing this now? If this thread were a 'I'm sorry, I'll try not to do it again.' instead of saying 'Go away!' I would be saying 'It's okay, I used to do it all the time.'

In fact, according to some people, I do it all the time, without knowing it. Just, I don't think I would want to mediate with an *******, anyway.

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2007, 06:10:03 pm »
How is any of this relevant? People will be how they are, simple as that. Making posts about how it needs to change won't do any good. Short of banning their account they will do as they please, and people will respond as they please.

Change can happen but cannot be forced, so let it run it's course.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2007, 06:11:04 pm »
He's come in and made mistakes, and is now acting like a jerk about it. He didn't have to be defensive at all.
Just like nobody had to take most opportunities to provoke him further when he was already obviously annoyed. I didnt see any of you apologising to him for being too harsh, and nobody had to be aggressive either. If you really wanted this diffusing, you'd use reason rather than backhands. But its fun to pretend our **** doesnt stink, right? After all, we're regulars, so we're automatically exempt from any kind of responsibility from our deliberately malworded 'good intent', but newbies are held accountable for every opening they leave, even the ones we coax out of them by wearing them down!

One of the best ways to troll someone. Be obnoxious, but treat them like the villain after they respond angrily. While I wouldnt say people were deliberately trying to troll, everyone got too engaged in having their fun. If regulars behave like this, why exactly do we expect newbies to behave better AND in accordance with rules pretty much only enforced by ourselves? Disregarding our own shortcomings is a convenience regulars shouldnt have, especially if we blow comparitavely minor stuff THIS far out of proportion.

Then again, what the hell am -I- going on about? Thinking about it a moment, im pretty much the only one in this thread (maybe even this subforum) that feels this way.
*mutters, and lets it sink now the OP is gone*
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 06:13:35 pm by Uroboros »