Author Topic: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans  (Read 24790 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 05:32:48 pm »
There's no "the man" or "the system" here as far as I can see -- just a regular group of diverse individuals, a few of who decided to roll their eyes at gasp yet another noob offending the santictity of the holy SPORE forum by posting a noobish question(s).

So if "the man" isn't there, then why feel the need to rebel? You're quick to place the blame on the community, but it's you that's in the wrong.

A large part of maturity is learning to deal with the way communities work and to respect their conventions when joining them. I think it's been said before, but I'll make it clear - this forum works on the principle that you should discuss things in threads dedicated to them. Where a thread already exists, you are encouraged to read previous responses to find answers to your questions and if you have anything significant to add, to post in those threads so that useful contributions and clarifications past are not lost.

Now, if adhering to that is too hard for you, perhaps you should ask yourself - why do you feel the need to join this community? If you don't know the conventions and have no desire to learn them, why do you expect others to respect you? More pressingly, why do you expect us to change on your say-so?

Now, since this discussion is largely pointless, I won't be continuing it. But be sure to bear in mind what I have said, especially if you intend to stay here.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 05:35:55 pm »
What's going on over here?

Play nice please. :)

Hi I'm Pat, I come from the outside. Before you go and respond, Thanatoz, hear me out. If you respond you know that you are not going to get anywhere. You want the secret?

The secret is simple, don't feel obligated to defend yourself. Maybe you are right, maybe you are not. Whatever you may be, in the end, if you do decide to continue arguing, you will ultimately lose face and come out no better than you did before.

Pick your battles, unless you can assure yourself that you have a lot to gain and that it is worth your while, do not argue. Just ignore it.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 07:34:14 pm »
I'm tired if the split between noob and vet! We need a new caste! I suggest "Middlings" or "Not quite a noob, but not a vet yet."

File all complaints to the Master of Internet Culture, at give_me_your_email_adress@not.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 11:18:18 pm »
But most of us respected "crusty" veterans stay out of the Spore general forum or rarely make a comment. There's a fine line between veterans and noobs here. That being said, "veteran" members that still hang around here in this board for the most part or have yet to step outside into everything else are still noobs. :P

That's true.

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 11:28:52 pm »
I just wanted to say a couple things.

1)
High school students are going to keep getting pregnant.  Should we give up fighting this and just let it happen?  Pedophiles will molest children.  Should we just let them do as they please?  Dramatic examples, maybe, and I'm sure the cynical would probably say Yes or just to be difficult, but just because something keeps happening is no reason to try and stop it.  You may be surprised.  Something may work.

2)
The following is not an attack, I'm not suggesting anything, just stating some facts about myself.  I've been a member for over a year now.  I've had one new thread and one new poll.  Both of these were made long after I joined, and I was lurking even longer before that.  I think I only signed up to answer a question I happened to know the answer to.  I was just as excited as anyone else when I found out what Spore was about.  Perhaps I just didn't have anything to add?  Well, look at the common response to newbie posts and tell me what was added.

That's all I'll say.  Maybe I just don't understand since I didn't go through the usual newbie phase...  But I often see 40-60 guests signed on along with only 5 or 6 members.  They apparently didn't feel the need to sign up to ask questions as soon as they got here.  I'd be interested to hear the whys and whatfors, except that'd require them to sign up and lose their lurker status.

Edit:  Just amused suddenly by the idea of the fine line between veterans and noobs...  How do you tell the difference between veterans and noobs?  Veterans are screaming and noobs are what they're screaming at.

Edit2:  Noticed they're called Guests, not Visitors. ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:44:00 pm by ChristianSkunk »
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2007, 02:31:31 am »
I just realised, this is the internet, you can't have freedom of speech here!
the real saviour of this forum

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2007, 03:37:14 am »
As long as the goverment still works...

Fight the power!

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2007, 06:13:28 am »
Welcome to the forum Thanatoz.  :)

In my own opinion I think the older members here get too harsh at times to the new people. I think its great to have an influx of new members, it keeps things fresh as older members drift away. It brings new thoughts and ideas. I've asked before that our more experienced members be kind to the new ones and help them find the answers to what they need in a nice way. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen but that is the way Steve would like the forum to work. All of us were new once. Even though I joined on Day 3 and I'm probably the most active original member, I remember being new and was reluctant to post but I jumped right in and everyone was so nice back then.

I hope you continue to post and check out the other forums, they are alot of fun too.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2007, 08:12:12 am »
I just realised, this is the internet, you can't have freedom of speech here!

I'm rusty on my amendments, but it's freedom of press, technically.

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2007, 08:23:36 am »
Oh yeah and here is a post just like this one that Thanatos might want to review. It was posted by a newb who didn't like how the system worked here, and he pretty much was ejected from the site.

Just for your research:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=8995.0
WHAT THE NECRO?(RANT)

Lol. Looking back that guy really seems pathetic. I don't know how people justify making these topics. They are rebeling against the forum by using it's own tools. That is just confusing. It'd be different if they PMed us or something, but to use the forum to complain about the forum is just confusing...
Anyhoo... enjoy the other thread thanatos.
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2007, 08:28:07 am »
I remember that guy. He was a douche. Period.

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2007, 09:27:14 am »
I remember that guy. He was a douche. Period.

At least Thanatos has one ally on the war against Gaming Steve and it's community.
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2007, 10:00:29 am »
The thing is, if nobody gets grumpy with a noob, they'll never learn. In the same way that if nobody pokes a veteran in the ribs they'll never chill either.

However there is a difference between a "newb" and a "noob". The general accepted terms are that newbs are simply new to something, and still learning (and entitled to make mistakes without being totally strangled), but a noob is someone who either refused to listen/learn, or continues to act like a newb after they have become informed. Deliberately acting like an ass is generally considered noob behaviour, too (FPS gaming tourettes :P). This would put you in the newb category, and a fair number of the regulars who are lovingly mauling you over a still valid subject as noob-like.

A simple "Please use the search button" along with a link to the relevant thread normally works, and to be honest, with the ceaseless watch some members have for threads that should be merged, it really wouldnt hurt for a repeat-topic provided the discussion was good. Some newb threads can stir the wasps nest, though. Such as people falsely claiming to have 'confirmation' on something, then using the gaming equivilent of a blurry UFO spotters picture as 'evidence', though its not like only the newbs do that, is it? This subforum is a bit xenophobic because of having discussed everything to death and back, but I have to agree that its pointless to get obnoxious over most of the things that they do. Hey, i've done it myself a few times, but it seems this subforum has just turned into a de-stressing punching bag. Sometimes the prods are necessary to make newcomers shape up, but people get too bent out of shape around here. Trouble is, they have the numbers and more than enough burning torches and pitchforks, so you'll need more than just being right to change anything. The rest of the GamingSteve subforums regard Spore:General as the arse-end of the site, because of this ongoing bad attitude and influx of other (geniune) noobs, so at least you arent alone in what you think.

If the regulars refuse to play nice because they're too accustomed to an entertaining little witch burning session, why would anyone expect the newcomers to behave any better? Its not as if any threads around here have any real significant info or discussion any more. In before members demand every thread gets merged into one. :P

So...just 'cause you can't be bothered to use the search button, we should post the same thing over and over again in every topic that gets posted?
No, the old timers should gauge their levels of piss and vinegar depending on the level of offense is all.

Quote from: markonite2
The funny thing is if you would have "search functioned" you would have realized that this kind of post has been done/made/attempted before! Lol! This really is spam now. Can someone lock his account?
And it will keep on being done/made/attempted so long as the attitude around here stays as it is. If "this is how Spore:General works, get used to it" is a valid response, it also encompasses the objections to the attitudes too. As for locking his account? Haha, oh wow. Circlejerk, its good for what ails you.

As for the childish/insufferable responses to all this? Way to prove his point.
*high-fives himself* pwnd1zz13d h34d5h07!1 girlpower eee-hee shamone-ah!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:03:09 am by Uroboros »

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2007, 10:13:08 am »
And it will keep on being done/made/attempted so long as the attitude around here stays as it is. If "this is how Spore:General works, get used to it" is a valid response, it also encompasses the objections to the attitudes too. As for locking his account? Haha, oh wow. Circlejerk, its good for what ails you.

As for the childish/insufferable responses to all this? Way to prove his point.
*high-fives himself* pwnd1zz13d h34d5h07!1 girlpower eee-hee shamone-ah!

Slightly incorrect. Yeah, I was being a jerk, (and was only joking btw) but you guys dealt with this last time and we can deal with it again in the same way. It only happened a few times in the history of this sub-section, so it's not like we need to bend to the need's of the noobs and become a big friendly cushion for insubordination. (spelling?)

EDIT:
And btw I really don't enjoy how long this discussion is lasting. I'll bet Thanatos feels really proud of himself watching us debate over his point.
*Smiles at Thanatos*
Not to be crushingly closeminded but we should lock this or burry it or something...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:19:02 am by Markonite2 »

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2007, 10:14:17 am »
That was wierd.