Author Topic: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans  (Read 24437 times)

Offline Thanatoz

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Ninja Kitty Strikes Again!
    • View Profile
From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans
« on: August 02, 2007, 01:26:23 pm »
Okay, I'm not looking to start a flame-war here but I'd like to address an issue which is of concern to me and no doubt others.

First of all, I'd like to offer a shout-out to my fellow SPORE-freaks and forum veterans who have gathered here to exchange those tiny morsels of new and/or obscure SPORE-lore that sustain us. 

As we all know, SPORE info has been less plentiful than most of us would like (I cite the absent newsletter, static website etc.) and so it's been spontaneous grassroots efforts like this forum and the wiki that have provided the bulk of what most of us have sought.  If you've contributed in any way with an inside scoop, a helpful answer or some insightful speculation you have my thanks and the thanks of many others as well.

That said, as a forum noob I've found a few of the responses here to be pretty obnoxious.

Here's the thing: Yes, it would be wonderful if noobs like me didn't plunge in and start multiple threads about topics that have been asked before a zillion times.  Yes, it would be great if noobs like me actually read the forum posting rules and even gasp used the Search function to look up answers to questions that have already been asked.  It would be common courtesy to do so, wouldn't it?

But it's not going to happen.  Noobs like me (and like you, when you first joined this forum) are generally too excited and impatient and we want to plunge into the community and get answers now.  I agree that at best this kind of noobish behaviour is tiresome, at worst it's really obnoxious.  But it's also pretty human and I'm willing to bet we've all done it to one degree or another at some point.  Also, let's face it: most forum search functions -- including this one -- blow.  If you're looking for specific, up-to-date information, the search function is not your friend.

The point is this: We noobs are not going to stop coming.  Over the next eight months or so the trickle is going to become a flood.  The same questions over and over again are not going to stop.  If that annoys you no end, you'd best buckle up.

So if noobs like me exasperate you to the point where you feel it's necessary to post something along the lines of "Can we please not make a zillion threads about questions that have already been answered?" probably the best thing to do is to simply not respond at all.  Either someone with more patience than you is likely to post something of substance, or hopefully the deafening silence of zero responses will cause the chastised noob to pipe down and do their own research.

Thus, to the crusty veterans I say please ease up on the noob-hate.  We were all noobs once, and there's a lot more of us to come -- you guys just got on the bandwagon a little earlier than most of us.

Anyway... flame on if you wish: honestly, in the greater scheme of things it's not like there's much else to do here.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
Re: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:29:34 pm »
Thats the most productive thing you've done so far.  ;D

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 01:42:32 pm »
Thank you for stating the obvious.

Now please stop crowding the thread list.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 01:47:43 pm »
*High-Fives Rayofash*

We stopped this thread before it began! Woot!

Offline Thanatoz

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Ninja Kitty Strikes Again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:53:03 pm »
Far from stopping this thread, you two basement virgins just proved my case. 

I feel vindicated.  Thank You.   :)

(How many more days until summer vacation is over?)

EDIT: Came up with a slightly more snappier comeback.  Too bad you can't do that in real life.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 07:23:06 pm by Thanatoz »

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:58:25 pm »
Posted like true basement virgins.

(How many more days until summer vacation is over?)

I love you :D

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:00:43 pm »
No one else does   ;D (Oh! Ouch! Scorch!)

gec05

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:00:59 pm »
But most of us respected "crusty" veterans stay out of the Spore general forum or rarely make a comment. There's a fine line between veterans and noobs here. That being said, "veteran" members that still hang around here in this board for the most part or have yet to step outside into everything else are still noobs. :P

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:02:55 pm »
True enough. But us "Spore Topic Newbs" are usually the closest things to vets around, because we joined around (or in my case) just before The Great Drought began.

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:04:14 pm »
The irony here is that this topic was discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=8753.0

The point is this: We noobs are not going to stop coming.  Over the next eight months or so the trickle is going to become a flood.  The same questions over and over again are not going to stop.  If that annoys you no end, you'd best buckle up.

Thanatoz has a valid point.  My suggestion is that the 'Spore: General' board be renamed to "Spore: Veterans", and a new Spore forum be created entitled "Spore: Newbie questions", with clear a description that says: "New to the forum? Ask your questions about Spore here."

This way, those experienced forum-goers can hang around the Veterans board, those who want to ignore newbies don't have to go to the newbie board, and those of us (like Thanatoz) who want to help out the newbies can do so.

If it's technically possible, Steve could even fix it so you have to have, say, 10 posts on the newbie board before you can post on the Veterans boards.

I think this may be the solution to everyone's problem.  8)

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 02:04:38 pm »
But most of us respected "crusty" veterans stay out of the Spore general forum or rarely make a comment. There's a fine line between veterans and noobs here. That being said, "veteran" members that still hang around here in this board for the most part or have yet to step outside into everything else are still noobs. :P

Exactly. Us 'veterans' are only 'veterans' because we post responsibly and use the forum features such as search to find answers to our questions or ask our question in an existing thread instead of posting new threads.

It's ALWAYS better to post in an existing thread then to start a new one.

Mostly I lurk, because there's really nothing here on the forums Spore related that I don't already know about.

Also, we have a sticky that answers most peoples questions at the very top of the the thread list.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:06:50 pm by rayofash »

gec05

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 02:05:47 pm »
Well I think it's up to you Spore veterans to build a common code of ethics within this board. Us real veterans should have no part in this, but we would advise using the same principles as stated in the general forum rules.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:06:49 pm »
Ray of Ash? your a veteran? Didn't you join like a week ago?

The irony here is that this topic was discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=8753.0

Thanatoz has a valid point.  My suggestion is that the 'Spore: General' board be renamed to "Spore: Veterans", and a new Spore forum be created entitled "Spore: Newbie questions", with clear a description that says: "New to the forum? Ask your questions about Spore here."

This way, those experienced forum-goers can hang around the Veterans board, those who want to ignore newbies don't have to go to the newbie board, and those of us (like Thanatoz) who want to help out the newbies can do so.

If it's technically possible, Steve could even fix it so you have to have, say, 10 posts on the newbie board before you can post on the Veterans boards.

I think this may be the solution to everyone's problem.  8)

This would be good, but the Newb Questions board would always be more exciting, because everyone else ran out of viable topics in the vet boards.

EDIT: Eligecos, I agree with your stance. Also, I shall gladly take up the title of Warden of the Spore board, and set up a rules topic, which I will then try to sticky.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:08:48 pm by Mae »

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 02:07:10 pm »
Check my join date.

I was here before either of you.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 02:08:33 pm »
This thread makes me laugh....

However, I say that there should just be a new section called "New information"

No question topics, and you have to have so and so number of posts in spore:general to post there.