Author Topic: City Limits?  (Read 5084 times)

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
City Limits?
« on: August 07, 2005, 04:50:38 pm »
I was wondering how big you can make your cities. I hope they're not limited to Will's size :(

also how big or tall can the buildings get I wonder what they're jobs are?

Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
Re: City Limits?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 10:35:15 pm »
The techno cities were prtty sizable in the vid, but I wouldn't imagine them being too big.
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 02:12:42 am »
I've heard it mentioned that you could have a Coruscant-type city. Not an inch of planet undeveloped.
Of course, I'm not sure if this was from Will himself, though it has been mentioned a few times here and there.

And I'm sure there will be a maximum "canvas" size in the 3D building editor; I don't see why you couldn't zoom in and out while editing, allowing for easy editing of different sizes. Not sure though.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:50:30 am »
If you heard about that here, it was us thinking/wishing/hypothesizing about that. 
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 07:34:09 am »
That's pretty likely. I'd think city size would have some kind of limit, even if it's only by your available resources. Otherwise, go for your life, just cover a whole planet or two with cities and keep some agri and arboreal worlds to feed them ;D

And building size will probably be limited by resources too. If you want a tower to look really tall you could just make the rest of your buildings short...I'm sure there will be enough flexibility to keep the Barad-dr and CN tower look-alikes big enough.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 10:27:37 am »
...so....um...i guess...u know...about....my Barad'ur fetish...huh... :-[ ;D
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,

-762

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 10:39:57 am »
It wasn't hard to notice. But really, we shouldn't care about what you do in your free time. We all have different tastes, and some people just happen to like Barad-dur, but you shouldn't let peer pressure get to you. Just, um, be yourself, kay?
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 10:54:49 am »
just keep the hammer of the underworld where we can see it, m'kay?
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 11:19:10 am »
ok..... ;D
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,

-762

Offline Orne

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 02:35:03 pm »
The only way I can see unlimited city size is if there's no concept of a "city" at all...

What I mean is, in most games, the city is represented by a single object.  Like Civilization, or Master of Magic, the city is simply a square on the map with a # representing the city population, and it has properties telling you which buildings have been built (in the mapfile, they're just 0's and 1's indicating yes or no, Civ just gets fancy when drawing the city view with sprites).

Next, you have games like SimCity4, where a city can get "big", but is still regionalized because a computer wouldn't have the power to simulate the entire city at once... the flows of traffic, the rise and fall of demand for services, etc etc.  Underneath it all, there's still a grid that shows where all your buildings should be placed, and the game calculates traffic based on roads connecting buildings, etc... 

Here we're back at the argument between "raster" and "vectors"...   You can either have a giant grid representing the X,Y in coordinates with fixed distances between squares, or you can have Longitude and Latitude with freeform placement.  Raster makes for fast calculations, but requires larger file sizes, as non-filled squares must still be saved.  Vector makes for smaller file sizes, more detail on zoom, but it is computationally more intense.  With the advent of 3D hardware engines, Vector (and 3d modelling) efficiency has been greatly improved.

Seeing how Spore is designed so far, I'm putting my bets on a Vector approach, in that a "city" is really only represented by a list of close proximity buildings...  As your city / building collection grows, it may merge with another nearby group of buildings, and is now one large group of buildings.   Something such as a City Wall would be dynamically generated as a concave object that circumnavigates all of the buildings in a specific area...

-- Scott

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 03:44:19 pm »
I would hardly call the Civ sprites 'fancy.'

What you say actually makes a whole lot of sense, and we really should consider that this is Spore we're talking about here. and fore some reason it's stuck somewhere in my head that Will said something about a huge sprawling city somewhere, and then there were llamas, and it's all a blur afterward.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 07:50:26 pm »
It seemed to me that the cities and terrain were laid out in a grid, probably hexagonal.  So it seems cities will have a fixed size.  Don't worry though, it would be pretty simple to just plop one city down next to another and auto-magically remove the walls, so you could have a Coruscant (Trantor, etc.) made of hexagonal sub-cities.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 09:05:03 pm »
From what I know, I think Will was wrong in saying that the cities were like those of SimCity. He's a Maxis guy, he has to say that. I think it's going to be like Black and White 2, where you just place buildings and the city expands as far as you want.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 11:55:53 am »
Ah, I remember in one of the later stages of B&W I made a huge city out of my original one. Having played the merciful god and deprived most of the villages of their suffering, I decided to expand the cities and slowly they merged into a huge city with norse at the southwest, Indian throughout and Celts near the end. I'd like to see some of the "cultural blending" in Spore, especially if you take over via "cultural."
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 01:25:44 pm »
From what I know, I think Will was wrong in saying that the cities were like those of SimCity. He's a Maxis guy, he has to say that. I think it's going to be like Black and White 2, where you just place buildings and the city expands as far as you want.

I think it was more to the effect of the best 10% of sim city.... the best 10% of game x and etc... (or 20% but you get the idea).
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)